Opinions on 130 body configuration please

DividingCreek

Explorer
Dale as you know I'm building a second tdi 130 right now. It was a tipper and I brought in a correct 130 hcpu bed for it (want a flat steel tiper bed ?) . I'm re-paneling most of the truck what spares might you have ? BTW live @ the farm full time now so I'm only 3hrs away.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Hey Doug- thought you might chime in eventually here- thanks!! I did not know you were undertaking a second 130. My current project is all in pieces after being disassembled for repaint- white of course, from Bonnatti Gray. I am still not loving the utility box on it, and may consider your offer on the tipper. How you liking the farm? I cannot fathom returning to chaotic normalcy of the mass population- EVER!!
We do need to chat soon, as I will be needing your services yet again. Cheers my friend!! Oh, I do have new and nice used front outer wings, and some other misc pieces...

DividingCreek

Explorer
I have a set of brand new abs outers that i'm going to use on one of these 130's and I'm Alabama bound right now to pick up front and rear galv doors. Hope to pick up a yellow black mouth cur puppy (the dog of Southern lore) on this jaunt as well. Delivering a freshly imported 110 sw to Gulf Shores Alabama (yep Central Va to Gulf Of Mexico and back= my weekend road trip)

I'm in need of a smooth double cab roof. Not re-using this 87 one.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
"Rovertrader" what have you decided on? I didnt read through all of the posts, so were you wanting to keep it as a pick up or (as I read on the previous page) turn it in to a 130" SUV? Just my opinion/vote; if p/u is what you are looking for then I like the high capacity configuration and I particularly liked the Australian truck on the first page, with the hard bed cap. Otherwise, I think a 130 SUV could be cool if you can keep the 110 lines??? Obviously you wont be able to get any additional seating (unless you use the inward facing jump seat config from 90/110s), but certainly will be able to stretch out the rear leg room perhaps.

Why not use a chevy 350 instead of the Rover 4.6. Seems as if the 350 would be better suited for the weight?? Is there enough room under the hood? (I think Michael Slade's 145 had a 350??) Or what about hopping back on the diesel bandwagon and using one of those 6.2l j-code engines that Lt Fuzz and Redrover use?

Sounds like an interesting project.

rijosho

Adventurer
Doug you have the ABS model of the ALR8208 front fender skin and accompanying drivers side? I've been thinking of doing the ABS, since the aluminum is just not forgiving enough in the woods we wheel in out East here.

I know if I wanted to build full time I'd probably move to Alabama right next door to MDT Armor and start a scrap collecting business as a front to pick up all their NTO front and middle doors and all their other body panels.

florimoser

hi folks, and how about this?

130 TD4 2,4
total weight 2400kg Ready to travel. 255o-2600 kg overall heigth: 2,25m = fits into a container.
headroom with open roof = 1,82.
Bedsize: 1,65 x 1.95, 3 seater on request
storage space: enough for two and long term trips
tecnical specs: torsen true trac (2x) Fox shocks, allisport cooler and tuning-update = 410 Nm
2 fuel tanks = 135 litre. water 2x 20 l (canister)

cheers, flori

landycollage.jpg

tacr2man

Adventurer
If you want to see variations on defender theme try this site

http://www.foleysv.com/ as they have a gallery of various wheelbase and body and axle options that they have built and supplied all over the world , (I have no professional interest with this company) .

Re engine , the rover 4.6 is not the greatest choice , unless you top hat liner it (inc bottom water seal) , 350 chev probably better option , but diesel best option , as heat transfer from gas engine in hot (40C plus) climates is massive , and needs plenty of insulation and a very capable aircon system . The 300tdi 130 is quite reasonable economic performer at 7450KG GTW . As mentioned previous posters, ramp breakover angle with 130 two axle can be a bit embarrassing on sand dunes. The 130 turning circle was not much of a problem in Australia , so would probably be oK in USA , in UK and europe needs more consideration . Not the best for climbing hairpin bends in mountains!!! . HTSH

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Interesting cars on that Foley website. I like this one

mull2018.jpg
http://www.foleysv.com/newspics/mull2018.jpg

The rear windows seem to be too far forward, and I wonder if long windows would be better? I'm not sure about the 130 SUV all together...the straight lines make it look too stretched out and narrow. Maybe an modified NAS 110 external roll cage and modified (lengthened) stafety devices roof rack would break up the long lines?? Cool idea though.

Edit: I wonder how long that 130 SUV is compared to a Suburban/Expedition or Excursion?

Doug, didnt you say your 130 was about the same size as a F150 but narrower?

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have seen near all configurations, but looking for most popular/preferred option here as there are so few to choose from Stateside?

The 130 I am building now is SBC crate motor w/ Marc's adapter to ZF auto, and have done these prior. Great application, but doesn't bring the $$. The Tdi brings the $$, but is too anemic to me. Doug however loves his configured that way- even with the occasional hole in the block ;-) The 4.6 seems a compromise for the purist with decent power. And again, I am aware of all the short comings- not for me honestly!!

Thanks again, appreciate all replies, and hope for many more... Cheers!!

Doug- just sent you a text re: your trip this w/e.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Any thoughts on using a Cummins QSB 3.3 or maybe something a little larger ? (I think they have a 4.5, but it might be an ISB and perhaps a bit too large ?)
Since diesels "bring the $$," having one with a bit more umph and local parts availability might be appealing to customers ?

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Great idea Frank, and we did an Isuzu a while back that was fantastic, except again, not top dollar due to non Rover drivetrain. Finicky market, and there may not be a clear cut answer other than the Tdi?!

tacr2man

Adventurer
The ideal I would think from a "purist" pov is the TDV6 engine as used in RR and Discovery (Ford/Jag unit) , there is a firm in UK (JE Engineering) that supplies such at approx £25K but you have to add the cost of a new defender on top !!!!

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
An Isuzu motor would be neat ! They used them in OZ, I think...
Too bad about the non-Rover motor finicky market :rolleyes:
How about the 3.2L version of the Puma motor that they use in the Ford Transit ?
The Td5 would be easier, I think, but if electrickery could be avoided in either case that would be good...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman