Opinions On Best Generation, Dead Stock 4Runner

CLK Foxhall

Adventurer
Interested in opinions on what previous gen 4Runner, dead stock, is best as a daily driver.

Have/are certain years holding their value, better than others?

Not looking to do any mods - Interested in a dead stock.

Just doing research right now.

Cheers!
~CLK

Clutch

<---Pass
Current 5th generation model is the best bone stock daily driver, the 4th generation might have a slight advantage since the 4.7 V8 has just a tad more torque than the 4.0 V6.

1st gens probably hold their value the best if they are in pristine stock condition, probably the worst one for a daily driver though, as they are underpowered, ride rough, weak brakes, loud cabin interior (compared to the current model), seats are marginal at best, etc...

This sold for $17,400

1985 4Runner

85plate.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
3rd gens are pretty nice but the newest one is now 12 years old, and IMO they are overpriced on the market. Last model to be available with a manual tranny, if that matters (2000 was the last year for the 5m.) 3rd gens are pretty good off road with little modification needed but the interiors are small, they are underpowered compared to more modern SUVs, and have a pitifully small fuel tank. I'd vote 4th gen because of the more powerful engine, bigger gas tank, better MPG (with the 5 speed auto) and AWD availability.

2001-2002 3rd gens had AWD as well but also had a very problematic traction control system that I've heard many complaints about.

Haven't experienced a 5th gen so I can't really comment on them.

CLK Foxhall

Adventurer
Thanks Kermit!

I've read the early 4runners are starting to be viewed as collectible (based on what people are paying,...for what's considered, 'collectible condition').

Also, have read good things about the 3rd gen, as a dd.

Cheers!
~CLK

Clutch

<---Pass
You're welcome.

3rd gens aren't too bad since they still had a manual trans. the 3.4 is a bit underpowered IMO, if you do any freeway driving. 4th gen. is probably my favorite mainly because of the 4.7 V8. Need to merge or pass quickly, just mash down the accelerator pedal. ;)

I would say take your time and test drive all of them, and see what you like best.

It is kinda a crazy what 1st gens are going for. I had one, and when I owned it, I was begging for more power and 4 doors...they are charming though. Can't say I would
own one again, even if they are collectable.

CLK Foxhall

Adventurer
You're welcome.

3rd gens aren't too bad since they still had a manual trans. the 3.4 is a bit underpowered IMO. 4th gen. is probably my favorite mainly because of the 4.7 V8.

I would say take your time and test drive all of them, and see what you like best.

To be more specific - I have a niece, who is going off to college (cross state - WA to OR),... & I'm looking at potential vehicles for her. Want something reliable, that she can pack her stuff in (but not necessarily full-size), that will also have 4wd or awd. Personally - I always liked the looks of the the 3rd gen 4runner.

It is kinda a crazy what 1st gens are going for. I had one, and when I owned it, I was begging for more power and 4 doors...they are charming though. Can't say I would
own one again, even if they are collectable.

I was also curious about what you described above - the recent interest in the early gen of these trucks,... & how they're going up in price.

Thanks again!
~CLK

Clutch

<---Pass
To be more specific - I have a niece, who is going off to college (cross state - WA to OR),... & I'm looking at potential vehicles for her. Want something reliable, that she can pack her stuff in (but not necessarily full-size), that will also have 4wd or awd. Personally - I always liked the looks of the the 3rd gen 4runner.

Honestly, I would buy her a Subaru Forester/Outback or Toyota Rav4/Highlander over a 4Runner, get decent mileage to boot.

You can get a brand new base model Suby Forester for $22K...less with some haggling. Those are great DD's and perfect for whipping around town.

I was also curious about what you described above - the recent interest in the early gen of these trucks,... & how they're going up in price.

Thanks again!
~CLK

I think early Toyotas (and other 80's vehicles) are going through the collectable muscle car phase, may not be the best thing for the money, but guys & gals who had one for possibly their first vehicle are becoming middle-aged and nostalgia is kicking in. ;)

fireball

Explorer
Hey CLK,

Don't I know you from somewhere else? ;)

This is my wife's daily driver and our family camping overlanding green trail trail riding Target shopping cart bouncing off of command ship.

9ugeguqy.jpg

Stock except for 1" taller tires. Rides nice, awesome off-road, decent gas mileage and plenty of cargo space. All for $5500 with 112k on the clock purchased 4 months ago.

CLK Foxhall

Adventurer
Hey Fireball - Shouldn't you be working on your Bronco,...

,... 4runner looks great,... sounds like a good deal.

Cheers!
~CLK

4runnerteq

Explorer
Ive oned 2nd gen and currently own a 3rd & 4th. 2nd was a slug even with the stick shift. I did love it though. I drive the 3rd. Wife drives the 4th. 4th is v8 limited all wheel drive. Lot nicer to ride in & drive on the hwy. In town I just as soon drive either one of them. 3rd gen has lift & 285s but still in reality has plenty of power IMO. 4th is more powerful, better ride, more comfortable, more interor space. And in some cases can be had for close to the price of a 3rd.

Wrek

I’m lost
3rd gen 4runner.

I daily an 01 and love it. It's not fast by any means, but has plenty of power to get up and moving. If you're buying it for a female college student(unless she enjoys working on cars) she will not want a 1st gen. I had an 85 sr5 4runner that I daily drove for 6 months and after a few months it got dull... As a spare vehicle it was awesome, but for commuting it was loud and uncomfortable.

Vantage

Adventurer
I've owned a 92 5speed, 98 5speed, and 2004 V8.

The 2004 is the softest and most comfortable truck I have ever been in. It has tons of power, can easily fit 4 adults and got just as good gas mileage as the 92/98.

4th gen is leaps and bounds better than the 3rd for around town. The only place I would rather have a 3rd gen is offroad.

98 5speed with a Locker is a fantastic truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears