Opinions on Tacoma and COG issues

rsbmg

Observer
Hello all,

Just sold the jeep and bought a 2011 Tacoma 4x4 Doublecab shortbed TRD/Offroad.

As I prepare to build I am faced with building for a dual purpose role of The overland camp vehicle and the offroad adventure vehicle. Understanding those two can and will overlap I want to maximize both as I will not always be offroading to camp, sometimes I will just strictly offroading.

With that said my plans are to get higher clearance bumpers which leave my spare tire as the low point in the rear. For those with bumper mounted carriers I was looking for opinions on if you felt there were any COG issues with moving it up to the bumper. How about the ride of the vehicle on the road was it shakier, does it rattle? Given the choic would you still bumper mount? Also consider I'm going with 33's in this equation.

Next up is the matter of a RTT I am heavily leaning towards the Magnoila from autohome and a rack. Reason is I want to have something easily removeable for those strictly offroad adventures, but with it on is 128 lbs sitting up at roof top level really noticeable? Of course I would also have additional weight in the bed when the tent is mounted.

I have lots of questions but want to start slow. I spent a very large number of hours on here for the past few months reading and figured it was time to start getting to it.

Thanks guys.

Rob

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
COG? What's that?

I have had some moments :coffeedrink: but as long as you know you have that weight up top you should not have an issue. I always do the trails fully loaded with gear and have yet to have an issue.

rsbmg

Observer
Appreciate the replies thus far.

tacodoc I have already read every single page of your build (gf got annoyed haha) I like the flip-pac concept but after countless hours of research and laying awake at night ultimately I don't want a big box on my Tacoma 24/7. If I was exclusively a camper, I think its a good route but I also like to do some more serious offroad adventures. The set-up I go with will need to be quickly and easily removed for those exclusive offroad trips.

Comments on the rear tire carrier?

barlowrs

Explorer
I have never noticed or had any issues with my rear tire gate. I am also running no sway bar, so she does roll more than stock, however, even at highway speeds on the road, I have never really had any pucker moments. Offroad she behaves just fine..as Dave said, just don’t go on some crazy camber, go slow, and be mindful that you have weight.

I am contemplating a RTT on mine as well. Take a look at my build thread if you feel like adding to your research (in my sig).

Good luck and let the questions fly, lots of great rigs here and great guys to give advice

rsbmg

Observer
Another nice build. The CBI bumper is one of my considerations right now so nice to see it has worked well for you. Lots of great stuff in these build threads!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger