Opinions please!! Buying a new truck!

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Well new to me. I'm coming from a 1999 Dodge Ram Cummins CCSB. I'm looking for another diesel. In general I'm between a 2006-2008 5.9L Cummins, a newer deleted 6.7L Cummins, OR potentially going to the dark side and looking at 6.4 and 6.7L power strokes that are deleted (no smog checks for diesel in Oregon) thanks for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D45

Explorer
Nice low miles!!

The 2006 will have warmer EGTs, because of the piston bowl, nozzle holes, nozzles spray angle, and the injection events.........All 2004.5-2007 have these "issues"

Also, common rail injectors are time bombs......they need extremely good filtration and the stock fuel filtration system does meet the specs required by Bosch

The 48RE is not great, but not bad either

I like the manual/stick operated tcase and the cap setup

Sharp truck, but I think $31k is over priced

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Nice low miles!!

The 2006 will have warmer EGTs, because of the piston bowl, nozzle holes, nozzles spray angle, and the injection events.........All 2004.5-2007 have these "issues"

Also, common rail injectors are time bombs......they need extremely good filtration and the stock fuel filtration system does meet the specs required by Bosch

The 48RE is not great, but not bad either

I like the manual/stick operated tcase and the cap setup

Sharp truck, but I think $31k is over priced

What are you comparing this to? A 2006 will only have issues if you go screwing it up with a tuner. The common rail and fuel pump on those motors is much more forgiving than newer models.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Ya, I've just heard making a lot of power(I dint really need) is quite easy with the 6.4. I've got a great local diesel shop called Source Automotive by me, and they specialize in Cummins. After talking to them they voted 5.9L common rain CP3 Cummins, however after talking to Doug Thuren at Thuren Fabrication, he really likes the new 6.7L Cummins, granted once they are deleted... so the search continues...

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Keep the advice coming! Can't wait to be active member with a build thread again

D45

Explorer
What are you comparing this to? A 2006 will only have issues if you go screwing it up with a tuner. The common rail and fuel pump on those motors is much more forgiving than newer models.

Comes from owning a common rail Cummins (early 2004 305/555) for over 11 years...........I would not personally own a 04.5-07 Cummins. I would either find a 2003-2004 5.9L HO truck or find a 2007.5 6.7L truck.......IF A DIESEL IS NEEDED

2004.5-2007 trucks will always run hotter than 2003/2004 trucks (305/555)

The 5.9 Cummins is "the same" motor, but many internal differences

2003/2004 trucks did not have a converter also, and another reason why the EGTs were cooler, less restrictions

2003/2004: Holset HE341 Turbo; 54/58/9

2004.5-2007: Holset HE351 Turbo; 60/60/9
The electronic wastegates on these were also problematic

04.5-07 HE351:
7 blade 60mm/60/9
19mm wastegate hole non divided

2003-2004 trucks have an 8 hole nozzles

2004.5+ trucks have a 5 hole nozzle

Both trucks use a different piston bowl design also

555 motors (2003 and early 2004): 5.9 and 6.7 injector nozzles have a wide spray angle due to a reentrant bowl design.

600/610 motors (2004.5+) 5.9 injector nozzles have a narrow spray angle due to the open non-reentrant bowl design.

555 motor: 143* injector spray impacts annular region of 113* piston bowl, concentrating combustion towards the piston dome. 8 hole nozzles with two injection events

600/610-series: 124* injector spray impacts central region of 140* piston dome, propagating combustion towards the cylinder wall. 5 hole nozzles with three injection events

The 2004.5 trucks have a odd piston bowl design, 5 hole nozzles with a less efficient spray pattern..............all this, when coupled with the 3 injection events makes the motors MUCH MORE prone to piston melt downs and higher EGTs

In 2007.5, Cummins went back to the old 2003/20-04 piston bowl design for the 6.7L CTD motors

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I owned side by side a 2006 5.9 and a 2007.5 6.7. Just my personal experience the 5.9 pulled hard and was more reliable. I had to delete the 6.7 and it was a turd. I say stick with the pre dpf trucks, even if that's the 04 models that you like.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Avoid the 6.4 Powerstroke but I had both 6.7 Powerstroke and DEF Cummins trucks. The 6.7 Powerstroke is a GREAT engine and the transmission that Ford put behind it was also very good. I had mine for 100,000 km in stock form and 140,000 km deleted with an H&S tuner set at 500hp with no troubles and amazing fuel economy. I could, and often would spin 35's and it took it like a champ. If you like the rest of the truck I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I replaced it with a 2016 Cummins and G56 manual transmission. I like driving stick and despite being ridiculously slow compared to my Ford it put a smile on my face every time I drove it and I re-learned how to not drive like an *** :) I kept the Cummins stock and the G56 models are de-tuned but even the autos were much slower than the Ford was in stock form. If I'd have kept the truck I would have eventually deleted it but kept the power level close to stock just to free up some mpg and keep the drivetrain stress minimal. The fuel economy in the Ram was probably on par with the Ford before doing the deletes, but I know many people with the pre-DEF cummins who get terrible mpg. If you plan to do deletes regardless then probably a moot point. Obviously the deletes will be simpler on the pre-2013 Cummins before the DEF was used.

Dalko43

Explorer
The newer (2013+) diesels really aren't that bad when compared to the earlier emissions-laden ones (2007-2012). A lot of the people who talk about deleting and seeing huge mpg increases and drastic reductions in reliability issues are dealing with the early emissions variants. The newer diesels (6.7 power stroke, 2013+ 6.7 cummins, new duramax) generally get better fuel economy and have less break down issues to the point where a lot of people don't see the economic value in deleting those trucks.

That said, if you want to avoid emissions all together i agree you should look at something like a 5.9l cummins. Keep in mind that while the engine may be good, the rest of the truck may be in crappy condition (Ram trucks of that era weren't known for their build quality)...my 2 cents anyhow. Ford trucks of that era are much better build IMHO, but you're also dealing with some of their worst engines (the 6.0 and the 6.4). You have to pick your poison I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12