Opinions please!! Buying a new truck!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
A little late to the party but, how about that new Nissan Titan with the Cummins, seems the new Titan and tundras are kicking butt.

For the power you get from the Cummins v8, it should have better economy . It's just doesn't provide enough advantages over something cheaper to buy and operate like an ecoboost v6.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yeah I watched that and was disappointed as well. All the engineering and build up that went into the V8 diesel and its just not worth it. I could see it being worth it in a pre-dpf pre-def world, but that'll probably never happen.

Dalko43

Explorer
Yeah I watched that and was disappointed as well. All the engineering and build up that went into the V8 diesel and its just not worth it. I could see it being worth it in a pre-dpf pre-def world, but that'll probably never happen.

The 5.0l v8 Cummins in the Titan XD really doesn't get much better fuel economy than most of the 3/4 ton diesels. I don't think that's the fault of the Cummins though. I think the bad fuel economy results from the Titan XD's weight and size. The Titan XD has pretty much the same range of curb weights (which vary with options and cab/bed options) as the Ram 2500. And it's nearly the same size as a regular 3/4 ton. Nissan tried to market this thing as a 5/8 ton (something between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton) but it offers no practical advantages over the 3/4 ton trucks really.

I applaud Nissan and Cummins for the effort. Hopefully that 5.0l v8 finds use in other platforms. In a smaller platform, I have no doubts that it would yield better fuel economy.

Dalko43

Explorer
From a cost standpoint its basically impossible to sell. A gasser can beat it in weight, horsepower, and almost match it in torque. All for less money.

I know more than a few people who would prefer something like a 5.0 cummins over a 6.4l Hemi or comparable GM crate engine. I haven't driven a vehicle with the 5.0 Cummins yet, but I know from experience that doing a stat sheet comparison between diesels and gasoline options doesn't give you the full picture. The low-end torque is hard to replicate in a gasoline engine, even dedicated truck one.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The low-end torque is hard to replicate in a gasoline engine, even dedicated truck one.

Is the cost of $6K-$10K EXTRA you will pay for a new or used Cummins equipped truck over a Hemi engine truck really worth it for some extra low end torque?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Is the cost of $6K-$10K EXTRA you will pay for a new or used Cummins equipped truck over a Hemi engine truck really worth it for some extra low end torque?

What a boring world it would be if every decision was made from the "accounting" perspective. :(
I think people should buy what they want, and wish everyone the time to enjoy what they buy. :beer:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What a boring world it would be if every decision was made from the "accounting" perspective. :(
I think people should buy what they want, and wish everyone the time to enjoy what they buy. :beer:

Yup. Lots of great rigs and boats just sitting and rotting away as owners chase the ever elusive dollar to make the next payment.

I think trucks that are unique ie not the usual format simply fit a different set of consumer needs. As such you get lots of people saying just get a xx heavier pickup instead. There is a neighbor I see every day a few streets over with the new titan diesel. I happen to be hind him at the store a few weeks ago. I asked him how he liked it. He said it was a nice mix of ability and ride quality for what he needed. I think that pretty much sums it up. The “pickup” offers way way way more options, shapes, mecanical versions than any other vehicle sold. They all exisit because each version and rendition offers useful value to enough people it simply works.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!

All the while making PAYMENTS on everything they buy and own so they can "ENJOY" their nice ride and their cold beer.

After all they DESERVE it!

No wonder most American's "Look Good, Smell Good and are BROKE as Hell"!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hot Yellow pursuit!

All the while making PAYMENTS on everything they buy and own so they can "ENJOY" their nice ride and their cold beer.

After all they DESERVE it!

No wonder most American's "Look Good, Smell Good and are BROKE as Hell"!

Who are we to judge others Mike?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

I'm thinking it is good to pursue happiness in the rig of our choice, whether that rig is financed, or paid for. :beer:

This is one rig, in gas or diesel that would be one heck of a lot of "hot pursuit" fun!
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/rule-breaker-hellwig-lance-rig-sema-2016/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12