Opinions please. Solar/Lithium upgrade

Lykos

Super Trucker
Hey y’all
My current set up has served me well for years but it’s time to upgrade as my power needs have increased substantially.
Current setup on 03 Suburban:
200 watts of roof mounted solar.
Renogy mppt controller
“house battery” 48 ah AGM in factory aux battery location.
Blue sea system automatic relay.

I’m going to increase my battery size to a 100ah lithium mounted in the cabin.
I’m looking at the Renogy dc-dc controller. I like Renogy’s products and have had great customer service experiences with the company.
Their DCDC charger will trickle charge the starting battery. I camp at music festivals for days at a time so it’s nice peace of mind to know my Solar is making sure I can start when it’s time to go home.

My question really comes to the existing under hood dual battery setup. I see no reason not to run the Renogy to the factory starting battery and leave the Blue Sea relay to keep the aux battery charged. I plan on adding a winch and compressor later on so why not keep the extra power, right?

Someone poke holes in this idea for my upgrade. I know enough to be dangerous and I’m not too egotistical to accept constructive criticism.

Hnoroian

Observer
No holes in the idea. Just insulate the lithium battery from the heat.

Depending on the new battery a winch may not be a good idea as the amperage of the winch could easily be too much for the battery.

Lykos

Super Trucker
No holes in the idea. Just insulate the lithium battery from the heat.

Depending on the new battery a winch may not be a good idea as the amperage of the winch could easily be too much for the battery.

Appreciate the reply! Yeah, I know the lithiums aren’t great for things like winching so I’d like to have it inside and keep the dual agms under the hood.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
A 100Ah lithium iron battery will come close to doubling your available power for camping. If going to the expense of making a home for a 100AH battery in the camper, I would go for two batteries or one of the new, all-in-one 250 - 350Ah batteries. Battle Born, Renogy, and others sell them.

Assuming your Blue Sea ACR is still working properly, you can connect your Renogy DC-DC charger to either underwood starter or aux battery - won't make any real difference. Do mount the DC-DC charger as close to the new lithium iron battery(s) as possible.
Run the solar controller to the new lithium battery and set the absorb voltage to match that of the Renogy DC-DC charger.

But to the real question - what kind of music?

Battle Born sells two options at the 270Ah point: https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop/products/batteries/

Lykos

Super Trucker
But to the real question - what kind of music?

I loved Bonnaroo before it went cooperate and ESM. I could see NIN and Jay Z in the same fest. I don’t hate EDM but I’m more into the hippie vibe. I’m old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alloy

The BMS is all that prevents Lithium from being better than AGM for starting/winching. Dakota Lithoum is making dual starting/deep cycle that will replace the AGM saving some weight/space.

You'll want to make sure the Renogy + ACR (winch and compressor) doesn't draw too much from the alternator.

There's a slew of assembled Lithium (like SOK, Sunfun) with and without heaters on the market that are putting the know brands to the test.

Victron is coming out with a 50A 12V DCDC.

Check to see if Renogy has the same customer satisfaction they use to.

Lykos

Super Trucker
The BMS is all that prevents Lithium from being better than AGM for starting/winching. Dakota Lithoum is making dual starting/deep cycle that will replace the AGM saving some weight/space.

You'll want to make sure the Renogy + ACR (winch and compressor) doesn't draw too much from the alternator.

There's a slew of assembled Lithium (like SOK, Sunfun) with and without heaters on the market that are putting the know brands to the test.

Victron is coming out with a 50A 12V DCDC.

Check to see if Renogy has the same customer satisfaction they use to.

Agreed. That’s why Id really like to keep both underhood batteries in addition to the lithium house battery. Just making sure here that the BlueSea unit doesn’t create some conflict with the solar controller.
I’m really interested in the Sok 206 ah unit.

Alloy

Agreed. That’s why Id really like to keep both underhood batteries in addition to the lithium house battery. Just making sure here that the BlueSea unit doesn’t create some conflict with the solar controller.
I’m really interested in the Sok 206 ah unit.

You may find those AGM are not what you think. With new Lead Acid I've learned to set the Ah at 60-70% of the labled capacity.

Years ago I did testing (20hour rate lasted 6 hours) that matched this.

Lykos

Super Trucker
You may find those AGM are not what you think. With new Lead Acid I've learned to set the Ah at 60-70% of the labled capacity.

Years ago I did testing that matched this.

I’m confused. What are you suggesting I do differently?

Alloy

I’m confused. What are you suggesting I do differently?

Just information to consider which way to go. Maybe the auxiliary AGM can be replaced with a Dakota or when it comes time save some money and replace the AGM with FLA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12