Opportnity.....Maybe not

colvere

Observer
I found a 97 d1 SD with rebuilt motor and I know the seller so I do know a little history for $550. But... it has a bad fly wheel so it needs flywheel, sensor and starter. I am thinking it would be good parts car for my 99 d1 or my son could drive it. Looks like you have to drop trans to repair so is there anything else i should do while it is out. That is off course that I pay the 500 and drag it home :). Anybody replace a flywheel in the drivway?

lcsodiver

Adventurer
Well I have an auto, with a 3inch lift.... just put in a rebuilt trans and I am finishing my rebuild of the t-case this weekend... so you can get in far enough to get to the flywheel. but you will want a transmission jack for dropping the t-case and transmisson. I also put the front tires up on ramps to gain more clearance. So the real question is how mechanical are you? And have you downloaded the RAVE manual yet?

blue bomber

Adventurer
It is easy enough to do on the driveway. I take the transfer case off the transmission, making the job easier. The trans is lighter and more balanced than the transfer case. A trolley jack can provide a reasonable substitute for a tranny jack. Good luck!

colvere

Observer
mechanical enough that i do own a trans jack:) I do have the rave manual downloaded and started to run down parts. I will purchase the disco tomarrow and bring it home. I havnt even finished the one i bought last year and already buying another.

lcsodiver

Adventurer
No Kidding! :) cool find! I can't wait to have mine back up and running. Good luck on your new project!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Making the transfer case and/or transmission jack adapters shown in the manual are a major help.

colvere

Observer
I found the shop name that rebuilt motor and will go by today and see what they did (Top, Bottom, Complete?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179