OR-FAB rear tire carrier

detailbarn

Adventurer
I need some advice on this rear tire carrier. I really like the design on this model and it hold everything I want on my LJ in a nice orderly fashion, but I am not sure of the way it mounts to the body. Does any one have one of these , or opinions on how solid this type of mounting is. Thanks for your help.

Tire_canBR2.jpg

toyrunner95

Explorer
i dont mean to rain on your parade, but there are others out there that may work better. the tub on the jeep is pretty sturdy and it wouldent take much of a hinge to hold about 100lbs including the tire.

have you seen the poison spider customs rear stinger? it a radical design.

detailbarn

Adventurer
thanks for the in put but I've looked at most if not all of the available options and they are all lacking something I want, my plan was to use this carrier with the ARB rear bumper less the carrier, which will in essence provide me with a step bumper. my main concern is that this one mounts to the body , I just don't want to damage the body. I will be running 285/75/16's which isn't light so i want to make sure this is strong enough. thanks again.

tjbliley

Observer
Only thing I would add about the body mount type is that when you add the tire the weight is futher away from the mounts and that multiplies the leverage of every bump that happens on the trail. you will have a hard time when you get heavier tires and wheels or larger size tires. The weight could cause the whole thing to tear the sheet metal. I am sure it has backing plates as part of the mount but that would be my major concern as it seems is yours.

detailbarn

Adventurer
i agree my main concern is it pulling my body to the point of causing stress cracks. My second thought was to adapt this right to the ARB bumper , alittle more fab work but may be worth it in the end. Basicly I would cut the arb carrier off and weld two uprights at the proper width for the or-fab carrier and then weld it together. This would keep the entire ARB hinge and lock in place and would put the weight on the frame of the LJ not the body. Opinions?

tjbliley

Observer
The stress on those welds would be huge. You would need some type of double shear connection on the uprights, and then by the time you made them strong enough you might as well have gone with another proven design. Not to rain on the parade, but the best way to ensure you don't have any undo stress is to go with something that is overbuiltbut has a strong attachment point and tht is not going to be using the carrier you showed. The garvin or the LOD or one of the other expidition level carriers would have the engineering to handle the stress and carry what you want. Only problem is they are lots of $$$$$$.

detailbarn

Adventurer
not sure if the stress would be any more then the factory ARB welds hold. the arb is a carrier but it just doesn't offer any jerry can provisions. As far as money is concerned I all ready have $1000 planed for the ARB so I am not worried if cost abit more as long as is works the way I want it to.

LUISJG

Explorer
I had this cariier in my tj I loved that carrier, !!!
it mounts inside to the roll bar bolts and lower mounting to the frame. all heavy gauge hardware
you can put a 38 inch tire and stand up on top of it and jump on it, and you
wont be able to bend or damage you sheet metal..

go for it.!

detailbarn

Adventurer
LUISJG said:
I had this cariier in my tj I loved that carrier, !!!
it mounts inside to the roll bar bolts

LUISJG , so is it safe to assume you never had any body damage from the carrier? Overall was it a strong rack?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have always been concerned with accessories attached to the sheet metal (yes, I read the above posts regarding this particular application, but read on...I have a point :)).

One way to help mitigate the stress created by this style of mount (attaching things to sheet metal) is to simply mount some steel corners (PSC, Warrior, etc), then mount your accessories to the steel corner. This will spread the load out over a MUCH larger area.

I also like the idea of having 3 mounting points (two hinges and one latch) rather than the traditional single hinge and latch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998

Members online