Ordered my Shrockworks front bumper!!

PAyota

Observer
Just put in the order for one Shrockworks front bumper for my wife's '05 Xterra OR. Jim at Shrock told me it would take roughly 3 months but its worth the wait. That's all....just giddy and had to get it out.

4x4mike

Adventurer
Nice. They are good looking bumpers but 3 months. I'm not in the market for one but that's a major turn off.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Well worth the wait for sure! Once you have one you'll know exactly what I mean. The Craftsmanship is incredible as is the durability of the powdercoat. Without a doubt the most positive complemented part on my ride.

coydogsf

Adventurer
Got another 8 weeks or so left to wait on my Schrockworks rear/tire carrier. Tried to order it WAY before I wanted it so I'd forget about it and it'd show up just before I wanted to head out somewhere.

Dave

d1sc0ver

Adventurer
You did good, that's not a bad wait time for Shrockworks. I love my front bumper and full set of skids, they quality and durability are unmatched, in my opinion. I ordered my skids in March and got them in October.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
A bit of a wait is worth the high quality. Nice stuff built one at a time takes time. I would rather wait for something nice then get junk right a way.

Strizzo

Explorer
i have a rear bumper on order as well, it can't come soon enough!

when i was there picking up my sliders, they had a whole slew of stuff laid out on the floor looking like it was waiting to go to powdercoat. none of it looked like nissan stuff though.

from what i understand, a lot of the long waits previously were due to jim moving the shop to a new location last fall, and they are back on their 3 month bumper build timeframe.

4x4mike

Adventurer
I find that kind of turn around rediculous. If I didn't already have the equipment or know how I could get it and learn to make something the same within 8 months.

alexrex20

Explorer
I find that kind of turn around rediculous. If I didn't already have the equipment or know how I could get it and learn to make something the same within 8 months.

but you don't have the equipment, and you don't have the know how, so why do we care? also, you're saying you could do in 8 months what Shrock does in 3 months?

WAIT, WHAT?!

just eric

Adventurer
Shrockworks does produce a nice product but be careful what you hit with the bumper wings. I was wheeling my 06 Xterra with the local club and we were headed down a snow covered hill on the last day of our trip. We were all taking it very slow, and I mean very slow when the guy in front stopped at the bottom of the hill to unlock his hubs. The two guys in front of me slid left and right leaving me no choice but to decide which of my friend I wanted to rear end. I chose one and slid right into into his bumper. The passenger front wing is all that made contact with the center of his bumper and I ended up with ~ $8000 worth of damage. I kid you not when I say that I was going under 5mph. Everyone saw it coming and we were all yelling on the cb. It was so slow it was almost comical, until we saw the damage... Something about the angle at which we hit caused the bumper to twist into the body of my truck and ouch!

Not knocking Jim's product but if this kind of crash could cause the kind of damage I received, I would be extra careful around trees and berms.

alexrex20

Explorer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIKOsUHrRSY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhgKIRIoGM

this is my buddy's xterra with the shrockworks front bumper. he wheels the hell out of it, and i've seen him hit and land on his front bumper many times. there is no noticeable damage except for the surface scratches. in the two videos above, you can see him making contact.

your bumper must be a fluke, or that situation hit the bumper at the perfect angle, but from what i've seen, shrockworks makes some pretty stout armor.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Shrockworks does produce a nice product but be careful what you hit with the bumper wings. I was wheeling my 06 Xterra with the local club and we were headed down a snow covered hill on the last day of our trip. We were all taking it very slow, and I mean very slow when the guy in front stopped at the bottom of the hill to unlock his hubs. The two guys in front of me slid left and right leaving me no choice but to decide which of my friend I wanted to rear end. I chose one and slid right into into his bumper. The passenger front wing is all that made contact with the center of his bumper and I ended up with ~ $8000 worth of damage. I kid you not when I say that I was going under 5mph. Everyone saw it coming and we were all yelling on the cb. It was so slow it was almost comical, until we saw the damage... Something about the angle at which we hit caused the bumper to twist into the body of my truck and ouch!

Not knocking Jim's product but if this kind of crash could cause the kind of damage I received, I would be extra careful around trees and berms.

$8K seems really excessive for that speed. Hell, I can't image that much damage at 5mph with the stock bumper. What did they have to fix?

just eric

Adventurer
$8K seems really excessive for that speed. Hell, I can't image that much damage at 5mph with the stock bumper. What did they have to fix?

The bumper wing basically twisted and in doing so, contacted the hood and fender. In addition the headlight assembly was broken, some other plastic brackets in the area, and the body mount. Granted, the price of repairs is rediculous but the damage was there none the less. The body shop said that had I been running the stock bumper I likely wouldn't have sustained any damage. I'd like to think it may have been a fluke since I loves the look and utility of that bumper but I wasn't going to take the chance again. I have a lot of friends who still run shrock and are plenty happy with them.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
The bumper wing basically twisted and in doing so, contacted the hood and fender. In addition the headlight assembly was broken, some other plastic brackets in the area, and the body mount. Granted, the price of repairs is rediculous but the damage was there none the less. The body shop said that had I been running the stock bumper I likely wouldn't have sustained any damage. I'd like to think it may have been a fluke since I loves the look and utility of that bumper but I wasn't going to take the chance again. I have a lot of friends who still run shrock and are plenty happy with them.

That still seems way, way overboard for the damage. I can't even see how completely replacing the hood, fender, and headlight could end up with that cost - even with painting and labor. The body mount itself may have been the major cost driver, but methinks you got a bit hosed.

My comparison is my MILs Saturn wagon. Some dumbarse was parked in the middle of a two lane road right after a blind corner, straddling both lanes, during one of the huge snows they got in DC. She had to swerve to avoid them and managed to tear up the undercarriage, front bumper, headlight, radiator, and engine mounts and that all cost less than $8K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears