Oregon Trail

akt2031

This cross country trek was completed last year, but it's only been recently that I found this portal. Until today I didn't realize there were so many other travelers drawn by a similar wanderlust.

I chose to take rt. 20 from Albany, NY to the Pacific ocean, then to drive down the California coastline, and finally a straight shot back to Albany.

total distance: 7145.3 miles
start date: 08JUN 0630 hours
end date: 18JUN 1530 hours
fuel cost: $664.86
food/water: $213.45

It was almost on a whim that I decided to drive. I've lived along rt. 20 almost my whole life, but it was only after one bored night on Wikipedia that i discovered it was the longest road in America. Here I was, living all this time on a direct link to the Pacific ocean! (the road actually starts in Boston, so I'd end up completing the link to the Atlantic at a later time)

I contacted my best friend who lives in Los Angeles about my upcoming trip, and let him know that once I hit the Pacific, I would be driving down to pick him up so we could head back to Albany together.

My car, a 2008 Honda Accord V6 coupe would serve as my mode of transportation, as well as my personal 5 star hotel, complete with leather seats and XM satellite radio. I inventoried my supplies; a first aid kit, jumper cables, Camelbak, Ka-bar utility knife, Zippo liter, a few GPS's, and a compass. Then i packed myself 3 peanut butter sandwiches and a jar of applesauce to last me the first few hundred miles.

I felt prepared for my first grand adventure, so I christened my car the USS Empire after my home state, and set off early in the morning on the 8th of June.
DSCN0187.JPG

Since I was taking the road less traveled, I got to see much more of the scenery up close and personal, rather than a fleeting glimpse from the highway. I took a few detours to see some sights, like Niagara Falls, but luckily Rt. 20 took me to the heart of most, like Yellowstone National Park.

I think one of the most interesting parts of the journey though, had to be getting to know people in different parts of the country.. the random, chance encounters. Away from the tourist parts of country, taking the backroads gives one a chance to get a feel for what it means to see a town with its own identity. None of the pre-fab houses, the miles of advertisements, golden McDonald's arches and powerlines choking out originality and natural beauty.

The lonely road avoided that stuff, but damn, it was lonely. It gave me lots of time to reflect, especially through states like Iowa (which i'm convinced is secretly one of the circles of hell)
IMG_0709.jpg

DSCN0272.JPG
DSCN0281.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG
DSCN0410.JPG

but the miles of endlessness eventually gave way to extreme beauty, giving me a true perspective on what both meant.

Anyway, the whole experience opened my eyes to a new world to explore. There is so much on this planet to do, and so many ways to enjoy and experience it. I'm glad I broke free from the bonds of franchised familiarity, if even for a moment.

i'll try to post some more pictures if anyone would like to see them.

Thanks, and its great to be among the company of adventurers

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Please do! Along with some more commentary; sounds like you've got a gift and we'd like to see and hear some more! Welcome to the portal!

Papa

Observer
We just completed a trip that included a leg from from Montpelier ID to Oregon City OR along the Oregon Trail (not on I84). Our fuel cost per mile was $0.254 while yours was $0.093 - an incredible difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998