Organ Pipe Nation Monument

Joronimo

HI, I'm looking for info on the roads thru Organ Pipe National Monument. I would post in the Four Corners regional forum but that doesn't seem to get much traffic so I thought I would try here. Im planning to go from the visitors center to Ajo on the route highlighted in red and wanted to see if it was passable in a stock full size pickup with 4x4. I'm looking for more of a leisurely drive thru the mountains then to "push the limits" of my truck. Any info would be appriciated. Thanks!

Organ Pipe.png

Joronimo

Since nobody responded, I figured I should update the thread in case anyone comes across it again.

We left the visitors center at 11:30 ish and proceeded on the route shown. The roads are well maintained and could easily be be handled in a stock 4x4. You could probably get a crossover thru if you moved some big rocks and were ok with a little dragging. The route takes about 4 hours to complete. It is a nice drive thru the desert but not very exciting as far as scenery. Since it was still over 100 deg we didn't take any hikes off the road but plan to go back and visit Dripping Springs and the Bates Well abandoned buildings.

There isn't much out there so don't expect any water in the washes outside of the rainy season. There are picnic tables at most of the trail heads but no shade, except for at Bonita Well where there are toilets and a shade structure.

Makes a nice day trip from Phoenix! Some pictures from the road below.

IMG-1331.JPG
IMG-1330.JPGIMG-1326.JPG

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nobody responded because you posted this in a vehicle-specific sub-forum.

I agree the regional sub forums don't get much visitation but there are some more general ones that would likely have gotten several responses:

Expedition and Overland Planning, North America:

Backcountry Adventures and Events Planning

And of course if you can't find the exact category you need, you can always post up in the "Fireside Chat" area which is pretty much a "catch-all" section:

And now that your trip is over, you could post the pictures and details here. I know I appreciate trip reports, especially if they include pictures and maps!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
BTW nice pictures. Looks like it would be a fun trip to do when it's a little cooler. Would make a great trip around Thanksgiving or Christmas time when the temps aren't so hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12