Original Buff?

Wilbur

Adventurer
After visiting Texas last week and getting burnt no matter what I did with sunscreen, I need to find a better solution to keeping sun off me and my tattoos.

I saw these and has hipster as they seem, they might be the deal to be able to keep sun off my neck outside some larger hat (which I am planning grab).

Anyone used them and how are they? And are they only ones who make them?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have a half dozen Buffs. I love'em. I use them on my motorcycle to keep the wind off my neck and to help reduce noise in my helmet. In the winter, I use a buff over my face while riding my mt bike. Backpackig a Buff serves as my headband, and makes a killer pillow case when filled with a fleece pullover.

Columbia now makes a Buff type product that's impregnated with a natural compound that increases evaporative cooling effect. It's called Omni Freeze Zero, and as much as I thought it was a lame gimmick - it works, and works extremely well. They also make sleeves which might help protect your tats.

http://www.columbia.com/mens-access...?sz=12&prefn1=technologyInitiative&prefv1=109

kevint

Adventurer
They seem fun and very versatile, especially for bikes. On the trail, I don't think they'll compete with a good wide brimmed straw or palm hat along with light, loose, breathable clothing (long sleeves and pants). I'm still figuring it all out but am becoming convinced that wearing my own shade is the way to go, especially in west texas where a tree is hard to come by. Probably an interesting topic for a separate thread.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I fish with a Buff all the time. Wear it like a ninja mask with sunglasses and a hat and your head/face will be good to go. No reapplying sun screen, no sticky or greasy or smelly residue. I make look like a complete tool bag fishing but I catch fish without catching the rays. I'm a fan of Buff. I also use it as a gaiter to avoid the red neck.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I use the Merino wool Buff all the time in the winter. Love it. The Columbia warm weather knock-off is actually a new favorite.

The fly fishing guides I am rolling with this summer live in them. They have collections of Buffs like most women have of high heels...

That said, love mine. Great piece of gear for the camera bag - keep dust off, showers off and I can use it myself if need be.

Awesome, simple piece of equipment.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Patagonia makes some nice buffs as well. I have a couple and will probably buy some more... I agree they are a pretty useful and multi-purpose item. I'll have to check out the merino wool ones, have not seen that.

CCH

Adventurer
I'm a big fan. I've found it to be very utilitarian kit for backpacking, especially as a relatively cool way to shield my nigh bald head. In cooler weather, it works as a face mask. Weighs almost nothing.

Paredneck

Observer
I recently bought my first buff on a trip out west. It was great at keeping the sun off my pale neck. Wore it in 90* weather in Zion and 30 degree weather in Yellowstone. It was comfortable in both extremes.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
How cool, I have a Buff that I use in the winter for snowshoeing and MTN but never thought of it as a summer wear item

Sirocco

Explorer
Wearing mine a lot in cooler climates but I dont think the original or Merino works well in hot conditions. I find them too restrictive and find myself ripping them off.

I currently have a Merino and Original with me now on our trip through Central Asia.

Girlfriend has a Merino and UV version but still finds the UV one too hot and only uses it to cover her head.

Cracking piece of winter kit though. Used everyday in the Scandinavian Arctic in February.

G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998