ORU on sale!!!!!!!!!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
You could always buy an old GM vehicle with a solid front Axel in it from the factory.:smiley_drive:

this is the cheapest part of the build. trust me, i just finished it this year. To do it right you will be out about $8K if you use 1 ton axles

NewImage.jpg

poriggity

Explorer
I don't know that I'd trust a BOLT ON SAS kit.. IMHO,to do it right is to weld on the needed parts.
Scott

nbaffaro

I hate this to be my first post...

However, from what I have seen with many home builders quality of welding a well designed bolt on kit will have just as much strength as anything welded on.

The design of the kit has more impact on strength than the way that it is attached to the frame. I dealt mostly with late 70's ford's when I was in that phase of my life it seemed to me that all of the bracketry was bolted on. From the radius arm mounts to the coil cups and even the rear brackets were riveted on.

I think that even now much of the solid axle mounts from the factory bolted on to a frame that they could make either 4wd or 2wd

Love the forum but just wanted to put my 2 cents out there!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I hate this to be my first post...

However, from what I have seen with many home builders quality of welding a well designed bolt on kit will have just as much strength as anything welded on.

True. Welding on such major suspension components cannot be trusted to regular guys. I'm well aware that there are plenty of skilled welders out there, but I've seen some SCARY stuff from guys that claim they're good welders.

And I saw ever scarier SAS conversion during my years @ ORU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears