Oruxmaps with garmin img files

abruzzi

Adventurer
Anybody try this? I own Garmin's 2008 100k topo maps (which are not locked to a single device) and I can also download free 24k topo maps for most of the western US. If it works well, it's all I need, but I don't own anything android at the moment to test.

Geof

gahi

Adventurer
Yes, I run this and it works well. The maps dont display as well as they do on a garmin device, but are still good and useable.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Can someone put up how to do this? I have some older garmin maps and would love them on my tablet.

I also have ibycus topo maps, anyway to load these on?

gahi

Adventurer
Create a folder on your desktop, Named for the state or map pack your uploading. Drag all the .img files into that files. Then plug your phone or tablet in, and transfer the files into the oruxmaps > mapfiles folder. Restart the app and then select the map folder under the offline maps category. You'll have to just guess at which .img file will be your location, then scroll around to find where you are.

theksmith

Explorer
FYI - you can use Basecamp or other open source tools to assemble all the .img files into a single one.

also, i haven't tried Orux with an actual purchased Garmin file, i read those didn't work still though that might be old info.

i have to give an opposite opinion from gahi, i still find the Orux ".img" rendering engine to be all but completely unusable. i think it's great that they are working on this feature, but my test of the main AZ Topo map from GPSFileDepot in Orux was a mess. you can barely distinguish a 4 lane road from a contour line, there are labels everywhere with no distinction between what should be a tiny elevation number and a major feature, and hardly anything is color coded or thick/thin based on importance. maybe it was just this map, but it does render fine in Basecamp and on Garmin devices. just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears