OT: Who is building their rig in case of a Doomsday scenario?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I get good entertainment from reading and thinking about the bug-out scenario but I have always wondered... Where are you going to go? How long are you going to stay there? And how are you going to know if/when it is "safe" to stop bugging out? The vehicle you may or may not use is such a small part of the equation.

I think I'd rather learn how to "make use of" (read: hotwire/steal) abandoned vehicles than depend on just one.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Some of your "preps" should be getting to know the neighbors. Just look for the guys who are flying American flags and they are likely to be ready for most events. :elkgrin:

Anyhow, the first option is "bugging in". Sign up for the local CERT program as that not only gets you in on training but also gives you a line of information before it is shared with the public as well as contacts within your own community. Also look at being involved as a volunteer with the local Red Cross, Sheriff's department and so on.

Another group is calling themselves "Computer Emergency Response Team" so start here: http://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teams

Locate CERT by ZIP code: http://www.citizencorps.gov/cc/searchCert.do?submitByZip

You city people remember that when you "bug out" of your suburbs and head into the mountains that we live there and while we think your "bug out cars" are cute, we don't show up on your lawn.

Kohburn

Adventurer
I get good entertainment from reading and thinking about the bug-out scenario but I have always wondered... Where are you going to go? How long are you going to stay there? And how are you going to know if/when it is "safe" to stop bugging out? The vehicle you may or may not use is such a small part of the equation.

I think I'd rather learn how to "make use of" (read: hotwire/steal) abandoned vehicles than depend on just one.

hard to bug out if you don't have a destination.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
You city people remember that when you "bug out" of your suburbs and head into the mountains that we live there and while we think your "bug out cars" are cute, we don't show up on your lawn.

Lots of so called "mountain" people live in the national forests but so what? Those forests belong to all people of this country and are not the private lawn of any one class of citizens.:oops:

Lots of so called "mountain" people live in the national forests but so what? Those forests belong to all people of this country and are not the private lawn of any one class of citizens.:oops:

And a lot of us live on land bought and paid for. Whats your point? It just cracks me up when "joe prepared" lives in Boston, Mass or some suburb of some other gov't teet. Don't get me wrong I love what a lot of you do to your rigs, just think the "bug out" mentality is hilarious. Maybe because I live in one of the most secluded areas in the country and couldn't imagine bugging out anywhere else than right here. Or maybe if I lived in one of those places I would be scared too.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I "bugged out" over 10 years ago, bought 25 acres in the bush and when we aren't on the road we live there in our truck.

However this is not a "ready for the apocalypse" bug out, just a "get away from the mainstream" bug out. We are self sufficient for water and power but still buy food. As such we require the basic infrastructure of society to work, but we are largely insulated from the things that drive those in the city to panic, such as a truck strike that stops the shelves being restocked or floods that kill the power grid.

As it is we only go into a town every month or so, with a little extra effort (ie stockpile more food) we could easily make that 3 or 6 six months.

I feel this is a reasonable balance based on likely scenarios.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
And a lot of us live on land bought and paid for. Whats your point? It just cracks me up when "joe prepared" lives in Boston, Mass or some suburb of some other gov't teet. Don't get me wrong I love what a lot of you do to your rigs, just think the "bug out" mentality is hilarious. Maybe because I live in one of the most secluded areas in the country and couldn't imagine bugging out anywhere else than right here. Or maybe if I lived in one of those places I would be scared too.

Yet you just had to make sure all those Expo "city" people knew that a 4 post newbie was scared enough to declare "Keep Off My Mountain Lawn!" and further accuse them of being welfare recipients in a discussion that is mostly good-natured fun. Next time you cruise up Highway 35 north of Mimbres you might see a fellow Expo member on the porch wondering if you were the Joe Country who is making New Mexico look so rough-hewn. :drool:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I "bugged out" over 10 years ago, bought 25 acres in the bush and when we aren't on the road we live there in our truck.

However this is not a "ready for the apocalypse" bug out, just a "get away from the mainstream" bug out. We are self sufficient for water and power but still buy food. As such we require the basic infrastructure of society to work, but we are largely insulated from the things that drive those in the city to panic, such as a truck strike that stops the shelves being restocked or floods that kill the power grid.

As it is we only go into a town every month or so, with a little extra effort (ie stockpile more food) we could easily make that 3 or 6 six months.

I feel this is a reasonable balance based on likely scenarios.

Tell us more about your water and power setup please!

Outback

Explorer
My small Ranch is my "Bug out" to location. As long as I am home or even in this State im good. It doesnt hurt that my Military Rig is already pretty protected from an EMP attack. But a few spares are in a Mylar bag and that is inside a .30 cal. ammo can behind the seat regardless. More importantly though and more realistically is the need to have your OMG Bag inside your rig at all times. Good Luck.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Water is easy, a 24,000ltr (6300gal) tank. We had it filled 1 1/2 years ago when we bought it and have used maybe 1/2 since then. I plan to build a roof to catch rain water but even if I don't at $190 for a refill it hardly matters although obviously catching the rain is better in terms of being independent.

Every few weeks I upload water into the truck's tanks (we live in a truck).

I could also sink a bore but don't really see the need yet, however if we were to start growing food I would have to have a source of extra water that's for sure as it's pretty dry up our way.

Power is easy as well, solar. We've been living off solar since 2001 with panels on the truck roof.

I can supply more details if you like but that's the guts of it.

XRrider

Observer
Does carrying a couple of flash lights, a zippo, a hatchet, and a roll of duct tape count as having a doomsday prepped truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle