Other shells comparable to Arcteryx?

ncgamedog

Observer
Just wondering if anyone knows of other companies who compare to the quality of Arcteryx stuff that might be less expensive?

Scott Brady

Founder
I love my Tiple Aught Designs shell, though it is not exactly inexpensive.

We did have good luck with the Columbia Titanium line a few years back.

Count Fred

Observer
Don't have a different company, but I've been extremely happy with my Arcteryx Beta SL jacket. It is by far their cheapest jacket. But it's a plain and simple uninsulated Gore-tex shell which fits my needs. I always have a microfleece around and for the most part a heavy/insulated rain shell is more than I need. It's Oregon after all, it's usually warm and constantly spitting at you, no real storms (for the most part).

I didn't want to spend $350+ for a jacket, but also wanted a Gore-tex shell as my experience with other water proof fabrics has been poor.

Cheers,
JFS III

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
To be honest, with regard to the sophistication of design and fabrication, Arc'Teryx has no equal. I was working as a buyer in the late 90s when they introduced their first few pieces of technical outerwear and on their first shot out of the gate, they were 10 years ahead of the competition. They still lead the pack.

Most consumers probably wouldn't notice what makes Arc'Teryx genuinely amazing. In some cases the refinements are so small, the insanely sophisitcated engineering and manufacturing elements are easily overlooked. For one example, their taped seams are incredible, but does anyone really notice seam tape?? That's just one tiny, overlooked detail that sets them apart. Not only do they strive to use tiny seam structures (1.6mm instead of an industry standard of 6.4mm) the tape they use to waterproof those seams is equally small. Imagine how hard it is to accurately lay down a skinny piece of tape instead of the big fat ribbon of tape most brands use. The Arc'Teryx tape is also cut with such precision, no two intersecting pieces of tape overlap. That blows my mind. Overlapping tape adds bulk and weight equal to putting a quarter in your pocket. Does that translate to not making the summit of your climb? No, but it speaks to the unparalleled attention to detail Arc'Teryx uses in their products.

It's also worth pointing out that Arc'Teryx is so innovative, they frequently invent their own zippers, fabrics and manufacturing techniques. They're also not afraid to simply sit down and do some things by hand. I'm still amazed how they make their Warp Strength Technology harness components. That's hand crafting meets aerospace sophistication, all in the name of saving a few grams.

I could go on. As a professional buyer, I spend several hours a year listening to tech reps and product designers sell me on why their products are the best. The Arc'Teryx designers are speaking an entirely different language.

Now, does this make their products perform 20-30% better to justify the price? That's up to you to decide. It is expensive. It's also cut pretty lean, so it may not fit everyone. I don't think every product they make hits the mark, but that's measuring those products against their own measuring stick.

Excellent stuff.

There's a level of simplicity to Arc'Teryx that you can also find with other top tier brands. I would look to RAB as another option. I've become a huge fan of that brand. I also really like Sherpa clothing.

Last edited:

ncgamedog

Observer
I really had my heart set on the Gore-tex pro shell material, but I have noticed the eVent stuff becoming more popular...How does it compare? Just as good as the Gore stuff?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Arcteryx makes a special breed of shell and you get what you pay for. But I just couldn't justify $400+.

But recently I went out on a limb through and replaced my Outdoor Research shell with one from, are you ready... Eddie Bauer.

Their First Ascent line and the Ranier storm shell is worthy a look. I have only had it for a short time but the jacket quickly became my favorite. Well made, the waterproofing has been excellent and it is far more breathable than any shell I have owned. The fit is great and it layers almost perfectly.

Plus, their warranty is spectacular. Lifetime, any reason. You rip and still have the receipt and you can get a new one. Price is right too because a few times a year you can find them at 30% off.

Drop into a mall and try one on. Nothing to lose other than getting over the Eddie Bauer stigma.

Pete

ncgamedog

Observer
yeah I agree that the first accent stuff is def good for the price. I picked up one of their Primaloft jackets on sale just the other day and I really like it so far! It uses the Primaloft One fiber too, so it will be replacing the North Face Redpoint that I'm hoping to sell on here. http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=37540&&categoryId=27377&categoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS-OUTERWEAR&pCategoryId=27373&pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS&gpCategoryId=27372&gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&catPath=~~categoryId=27377~~categoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS-OUTERWEAR~~pCategoryId=27373~~pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS~~gpCategoryId=27372~~gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&viewAll=y

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
yeah I agree that the first accent stuff is def good for the price. I picked up one of their Primaloft jackets on sale just the other day and I really like it so far! It uses the Primaloft One fiber too, so it will be replacing the North Face Redpoint that I'm hoping to sell on here. http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=37540&&categoryId=27377&categoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS-OUTERWEAR&pCategoryId=27373&pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS&gpCategoryId=27372&gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&catPath=~~categoryId=27377~~categoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS-OUTERWEAR~~pCategoryId=27373~~pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS~~gpCategoryId=27372~~gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&viewAll=y

I also have that jacket :elkgrin:

What can i say... I was able to get it on sale and then another 30% off. I haven't been hard on it though. Only used it around town and never for anything more than a walk to Starbucks.

saltamontes

Observer
To be honest, with regard to the sophistication of design and fabrication, Arc'Teryx has no equal. I was working as a buyer in the late 90s when they introduced their first few pieces of technical outerwear and on their first shot out of the gate, they were 10 years ahead of the competition. They still lead the pack.

Most consumers probably wouldn't notice what makes Arc'Teryx genuinely amazing. In some cases the refinements are so small, the insanely sophisitcated engineering and manufacturing elements are easily overlooked. For one example, their taped seams are incredible, but does anyone really notice seam tape?? That's just one tiny, overlooked detail that sets them apart. Not only do they strive to use tiny seam structures (1.6mm instead of an industry standard of 6.4mm) the tape they use to waterproof those seams is equally small. Imagine how hard it is to accurately lay down a skinny piece of tape instead of the big fat ribbon of tape most brands use. The Arc'Teryx tape is also cut with such precision, no two intersecting pieces of tape overlap. That blows my mind. Overlapping tape adds bulk and weight equal to putting a quarter in your pocket. Does that translate to not making the summit of your climb? No, but it speaks to the unparalleled attention to detail Arc'Teryx uses in their products.

It's also worth pointing out that Arc'Teryx is so innovative, they frequently invent their own zippers, fabrics and manufacturing techniques. They're also not afraid to simply sit down and do some things by hand. I'm still amazed how they make their Warp Strength Technology harness components. That's hand crafting meets aerospace sophistication, all in the name of saving a few grams.

I could go on. As a professional buyer, I spend several hours a year listening to tech reps and product designers sell me on why their products are the best. The Arc'Teryx designers are speaking an entirely different language.

Now, does this make their products perform 20-30% better to justify the price? That's up to you to decide. It is expensive. It's also cut pretty lean, so it may not fit everyone. I don't think every product they make hits the mark, but that's measuring those products against their own measuring stick.

Excellent stuff.

There's a level of simplicity to Arc'Teryx that you can also find with other top tier brands. I would look to RAB as another option. I've become a huge fan of that brand. I also really like Sherpa clothing.

=====

Flounder, this is great, pertinent insight from an industry professional. Exactly the kind of information that makes online forums useful. Thanks much. :costumed-smiley-007

ncgamedog

Observer
Yes, and because of this and other research I did, I decided to be patient, sell a few things, and go with the Arc'teryx Beta AR. Its made from the Gore-tex proshell material, which will hopefully prove to hold up well. After laying down that kind of money, I plan to wear it very often lol. I like the features and fit of the jacket alot. My only problem with the jacket is that it's loud to wear. Kinda feels like wearing a jacket made out of tarp material. The material also has a brittle type feel, which makes me concerned about stuffing it in my pack or crunching it up small, for fear of damaging the gore-tex. Overall I'm still really stoked about it.

I have owned Arcteryx, Marmot, North Face, Mountain Hardwear and Patagonia. I like Patagonia best they're outstanding products and they stand behind their products 100%. LL Bean products are cheaper but also come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee (keep your receipts).
W

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78