Our Dual-Sport GMC Sierra

chaos616

Adventurer
aardvarcus: yeah, good point, I was thinking of doing a few vent holes that might suck up some air and push it through to the back, maybe that would be a good solution, when i get to that part of the project I will have to see how it all pans out.

UHAULER: yeah, I miss the snow being in nevada now, although the -20 is still cold. I thought about that, but man oh man are they expensive, well see what my cheapest price is. Also something to note, I went to pull it out to inspect it and it won't even come out of the tank, I think its expanded (the plastic) from the ethenol in the fuel, I litterally doesn't fit, I'll have to break it to get it out.

cowboy, well you like this next post then, it really is fitting together quite nicely. I couldn't ask for a better fitting tanke from a junkyard really. Thanks also, nice words help keep the inspiration up, even with the monumental amount of grinding still needed to be done.

02Tahoe: Thank you very much for the nice words. That is awesome to hear about the ARB, i so far haven't had another encounter, but its there ready to go when it does happen. And actually thats not a bad idea, honestly never really thought about that. If you've done that I would love to see a picture of the results of that endeavor. MORE PROJECTS!!!!

Cheers,

chaos616

Adventurer
Alright,

So to continue, i have made some good progress and even had a few things come from my favorite person in the world (the delivery person). My GPI EZ-8 pump showed up and it looks like its going to work awesome.

sit. wrap: I had some custom C-Channels bent up out of 3/16" plate to make a nice flat platform on this inside of the frame rails to work with. I also made up the front and rear tank supports out of tubing with notches in them and platting to hold the tank snug in the stock position how it was on the early full size blazers (early 90's). The front brace is in place and the rear brace is pretty much ready to go in. Also I am undecided about the shocks, I was going to do the shocks up so they mounted facing toward the differential (they would flex in line with the axle); however, upon inspection, the blazer tank was designed to allow the shock to sit just to the side of it, and how i have it mounted it would fit just about perfect. So I may leave the shock alone. Please let me know what you would do so I can get some ideas/inspiration.

So this is the tank in place (mostly) and you can see on the right toward me where the shock would mount:

And here is the front crossmember in and the rear is ready to go in, the tank will be in this position:

I know it looks like the diff will hit, but I promise you it wont, it was measured and unless my axle either goes through the frame or breaks in the middle there will be zero contact and a good buffer of space around it:

Behind the tank, no brace in place yet:

More to come soon!

Cheers,

cowboy63645

Adventurer
So if I am,reading correctly, you will have the new tank in the rear transfer fuel to your factory tank via external pump and switch in the cab?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

chaos616

Adventurer
cowboy: Yes, It will transfer via fuel pump, just like the pump at the gas station. That way I can fill things like motorbikes and other cars if need be too. And since the stock fuel system is...well lets put it plainly, black magic, instead of cutting into it i'll leave it be and do the pump, I can always change it later.

ckupq: yeah, thats why i was thinking of not doing the switchable tank, just as easy not to deal with it. Although I now have the parts, and the fuel selector valve I have is for an old ford.

Thanks Henry J.

More updates to come soon!

Cheers,

chaos616

Adventurer
Ok, not many pictures here but I went a little crazy with the paint.

I picked up some regular steel rims for 20 dollars a piece. Had to pull them off the truck in -20 weather with 2 ft. of snow and with a hi lift jack and T handle lug wrench...but I got em and their sweet.

I finished my parts for the tank mount and decided to paint them orange...and I decided to paint the rims orange too...and then decided to put black stripes on them...

Anywho, assembly tomorrow and then on to the rock sliders and skid plates.

Cheers!!!

chaos616

Adventurer
Alright, coming along nicely now, the tank portion is officially installed and done, finishing work on the bumper now and getting to the rock sliders tomorrow.

Some pictures of how it looks so far, and I actually really like the orange, it looks good.

Brackets in plate for tank mount, the front is a frame stiffner as well and also there is the shock mount.

Chock mount:

Tank installed and very snug:

Good space for the shock as the original truck had the shock there too:

Bumper removed for finishing work:

Cheers!

poriggity

Explorer
Just read through this entire build, and I am impressed. I really like the direction you are headed with this truck, and your auxillary fuel tank mount is AWESOME.

Keep the pics coming!
Scott

chaos616

Adventurer
98dango, Thanks, yeah its all coming together now, I'm super please the framework came together nicely as it is now my full rear frame support.

poriggity, also Thanks and thanks for the comments. My next big plan is SAS, but well see what happens, as of now a bunch of my IFS is worn out, mostly bushings and rubber boots, but still. Pictures will be coming soon, probably post a few updates tonight, started on the rocker sliders and so far...they're going to be...heavy is an understatement.

Cheers,

Ehren

chaos616

Adventurer
Alright so I have been really busy trying to finish up so I can get back to Nevada by the end of this coming week as the rally we are participating in starts on Friday.

So to keep up from last time. Almost everything is done now, just need to finish some wiring and a few plumbing things and the center skid plates.

So there was a lot of work that went in before this. Drilling lots of holes and taking many measurements. But this is the basic form of the rock sliders with some weld on them.

Here they are on the truck, just mocked up for now to check clearance and such:

So here are the skid plates that for the rock sliders:

And here everything is on the truck including the steel bumper and rocksliders with plates. Needs some electrical work and plumbing:

Sorry for the lack of pictures but i'm really rushing to get done, will try to take more soon!

Cheers,

chaos616

Adventurer
east tn 81, thanks and yeah by my judgement of picking them up by myself i would say around 150-180 per slider with no skid plates on them. They are aweful heavy for 2 reasons. A lot of the steel I had to use was 1/4" structural building steel, very heavy stuff (it was laying around and free). Also since the truck weighs so much I needed a slider that was strong enough to hold up the truck. I always see those pictures of toyota tacoma's or smaller stuff jacked up by the sliders and see that they are not built that heavy, but a tacoma with people might come in at 4500 or so pounds, more with stuff. Before these mods mine came in with 2 people in the truck at 7300 pounds, quite a bit more heavy, it is a 3/4 ton truck though. I did jack the truck up by the sliders with the hi-lift on both sides and it seems as though were good to go.

Cheers, more to come soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger