Our Kingdom Camping Trailer Build

Treefarmer

Jamin posted the YT walk-through video for this unit - Caravan XL Unit #1:
Nice video. We hadn't seen that yet. We made a pilgrimage to Truma today to get a thorough review and overview of the Combi Comfort Plus system. They are a great bunch of people at the Elkhart HQ. Even the ones from Germany. :)It's way more capable than anything we plan on needing. You'll be very happy with it!

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I know Treefarmer made a comment on the fact thar the Roamer 1 Starlink wiring modification was not necessary. I would be really suprised if the wrong connector was installed.

Treefarmer

@Treefarmer How does that Starlink connection work? It doesn't look like the correct type of connections needed for SL.
It's nothing fancy. I just wanted a port that I could pass the Starlink end connector through (it's an odd, squared off shape that's wider than the the cable itself). The port also had to be weatherproof. That's what they installed. I didn't want anything installed that was proprietary only to Starlink. Who knows if we'll switch services over the years. If you want a port that is "Starlink proprietary" I'm sure they could install it. It's just a matter of how you want to use the hole in the wall.

Treefarmer

He would respond but his Starlink isn't working. Something about a connector... :)
We've had to make do with public wifi and Verizon and we pound out these 12 hour driving days going to and from Indiana (in some mean weather). Starlink spoiled us over the winter. We'll be back in north Idaho this weekend enjoying our Starlink again!?

NomadNorman

It's nothing fancy. I just wanted a port that I could pass the Starlink end connector through (it's an odd, squared off shape that's wider than the the cable itself). The port also had to be weatherproof. That's what they installed. I didn't want anything installed that was proprietary only to Starlink. Who knows if we'll switch services over the years. If you want a port that is "Starlink proprietary" I'm sure they could install it. It's just a matter of how you want to use the hole in the wall.
Oh that will work well then. At first look I couldn't see how the odd-shaped SL connecter would fit through there. Are you mounting the SL to your ladder?

Treefarmer

Oh that will work well then. At first look I couldn't see how the odd-shaped SL connecter would fit through there. Are you mounting the SL to your ladder?
We didn't bother with a permanent mount.. We've been leaving the dish on the ground when we're in a camp for a while. While we're moving, we use a mifi device on our overnight stays. It's really easy to put the dish on the roof of our new Caravan XL (up the ladder and right next to the 12V AC unit), so we'll probably be doing that in the future.

Treefarmer

We've been trying to catch up with pruning and the garden since we came back later than usual this year. Here are some photos of Summer Camp up in Idaho on a rainy spring morning:
DSCN0906.JPG

DSCN0908.JPG

So far so good. We've been living in the trailer for 24 days now. During that time we towed it more than 2,000 miles to get home, went through weather from 20 degrees to 87 degrees, had high winds (45 mph), driving snow storms (Wyoming), lightning/thunder/heavy rain, and even a few sunny days!

First thoughts:
  1. Towing with an F350, the McHitch, and no weight distribution was a breeze. There wasn't any sway or discomfort in high cross winds and hard snow storms. We try to stay between 60-65 mph, but those few times we got up into the seventies, it was esy and comfortable. The trailer is 7,800 lbs dry and we were towing at about 9,000 lbs.
  2. The box is almost airtight. I bet it would meet the Passive Home Standards. We haven't needed to use the Truma much at all, and when we do, we've only had it on for a few minutes before everything was plenty warm. There were no plumbing/tank freeze issues, even when towing all day through below freezing temperatures.
  3. We haven't used the AC other than to test it out. We've had a few days in the 80's and didn't need it. It stays pretty cool, even in direct sun, so we're very happy with the insulation and the airflow options with the windows.
  4. We haven't been able to run the batteries below 90%, no matter how hard we try.
  5. Everything is solid. There's no rocking, creaking, or odd noises when we move around and use all the sytems. We were concerned with how a smaller bumper pull trailer would do in comparison to a 5th wheel, and this trailer is every bit as solid if not better than New Horizons.
  6. Size wise it has been a bit of a challenge. We're still organizing and learning how to do the "dance" of moving around the interior. Going from a 3,000 sq ft house to a 31ft 5th wheel was easier than going from the 5th wheel to a bumper pull trailer. This trailer is a little bigger than the Roamer1/X195/Bruder and any other off road dual axle trailers I'm aware of. Even so, it is tight for two adults and two dogs. I'm not sure how any couple, especially with kids or dogs, could be comfortable in anything smaller. I suppose people can tolerate anything for long weekends or week long camping trips, but we're living in it fulltime. In my opinion, it would be the perfect couple's trailer (no kids) for someone who wants to live in it for extended periods of time. I definitely wouldn't suggest going smaller!
  7. Even though our overall length (trailer plus truck) is the same as it was for our 5th wheel, this setup is many times more maneuverable. It handles tight spaces and backing in far better than the 5th wheel. That is actually a nice surprise. I don't think there are any spots (of the hundreds we've identified over the years) we'll have trouble getting into.
  8. Other than coming down a rough Idaho county road that hadn't been "post breakup" graded, we haven't taken it on any challenging terrain yet. I did run over a couple of big parking lot curbs on purpose. The big tires and ATX suspension just laughed at me. I didn't even know the trailer was back there. As a test, we left a paper towel roll sitting upright on the kitchen countertop every day we were towing home. After each day it hardly moved. It remained upright and only walked a few inches along the countertop. We went through some pretty nasty roads in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho!

Treefarmer

I forgot to mention the Nautilus water manifold system. It's too soon to tell, but I'm not convinced this will be a good long term product. It seems like system that is becoming more and more popular on higher end trailers. I understand the motivation behind the product. It makes it easy for the casual user to adjust valves as needed to fill the tank, winterize, and sanitize. I see a few potential problems with it so far.

First: People should learn how their water system works. What a valve does and for what reason is useful knowledge. Hiding it behind a pretty, user friendly panel that hides the valve functions isn't always the best way to go. Learning what V1, V2, V3,...etc. do is a good thing. Moving the blue, white, red knobs doesn't tell you anything.
Second: The overall quality of the plastic parts seem like they may not be durable for the long haul. Only time will tell, but they seem fragile to me. Especially if used frequently.
Third: I'm not sure this system will be as easily repairable as the normal valve and plumbing hose systems you typically see in RVs. Hopefully parts will be readily available and easily replaced. We shall see.

Maybe other people on here who have lived with the Nautilus system for a longer period of time will have more insights.

Treefarmer

We like the low elevation too. The trailer is parked at 1,750 feet. Park City is pretty awesome, but we're not high elevation mountaineers like you. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan