Our "new" Tiger...

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
We're patiently waiting for the new stripes to arrive. They should be here by the end of the week. In the meantime, we decided to go ahead and strip 90% of the old sealant/caulk from the entire rig. At first we were just touching up any rough areas but the results were so good we kept going. I can honestly say we've inspected every millimeter of the Tiger and it appears to be 100% watertight. Next month's trip to Canada will be the "real" test. :snorkel:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Nice Rover.

What's your plan for Canada?

(Living 20 minutes south of the Canadian border, 3 minutes off I-5, 20 minutes north of http://northwestoverlandsociety.org/ 's world headquarters, and being a fellow AstroLander, enquiring minds want to know.)

In other words, you've got friends in the Pacific Northwest if you're traveling thru and need to stop for a good micro brewery.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
What's your plan for Canada?
We'll work our way up through OR and ID to Jasper before heading back south. Planning on ~14 days start to finish. I do a similar trip, solo, every year on my motorcycle. My wife was finally able to get enough time off to join me this year so we're taking the Tiger.

(Living 20 minutes south of the Canadian border, 3 minutes off I-5, 20 minutes north of http://northwestoverlandsociety.org/ 's world headquarters, and being a fellow AstroLander, enquiring minds want to know.)

In other words, you've got friends in the Pacific Northwest if you're traveling thru and need to stop for a good micro brewery.
We love Bellingham and, of course, I want to drool over the Astrolander. :drool:
As of now, our plan doesn't allow any extra time for B'ham but if that changes, I'll be buying you the micro brew.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
895000920_eDr4P-M.jpg

Does this mean I have to start drinking tea with my pinky extended?:coffee:

No, but I think you are one step closer to needing matching Campaign Furniture Chairs. Great Land Rover. So have you buffed out the hole Tiger yet. How does it look?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
No, but I think you are one step closer to needing matching Campaign Furniture Chairs.
Agreed.

So have you buffed out the hole Tiger yet. How does it look?
I still haven't finished. I've experimented with a couple different compounds. The aluminum and steel surfaces are easy and polish up very nicely. The fiberglass takes some work. I need to stop being lazy and just get it finished. It seems like all our vehicles are due for service right now so I've been sidetracked with oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

PS- I flew over you guys while you were at the Grand Canyon and was wishing I could be down there. Your pictures are amazing.
We need to plan our next trip.

Ironduff

Observer
"....The aluminum and steel surfaces are easy and polish up very nicely. The fiberglass takes some work......"

Yep. That's some good paint they use on the aluminum of the coach. Not that it'll do either of us any good, but I'm wondering if they couldn't offer something similar on the roof, maybe as an option. My second Roadtrek had a painted f'glass roof, and it took much less waxing, both in frequency & effort.

Maybe I'll finally get around to writing that email with improvement suggestions to Provan.... ;)

Hopefully you and your wife will manage to dodge the Prince of Darkness with the new rig.... :B. I'm sure you know all the old jokes.

Jim H.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Spark Plugs and Wires...

I've been dreading changing the spark plugs on the Tiger. The plugs seem nearly impossible to access. I'm sure after I've done it once or twice I'll get the hang of it but for now it's got me scratching my head. I don't have any indications that the current plugs are bad, I'm just wanting to change the plugs and wires for piece of mind.

All of our camping rigs are coming due for service at the same time so it's a busy day in the garage:
896597780_GWFwW-M.jpg

slooowr6

Explorer
I've been dreading changing the spark plugs on the Tiger. The plugs seem nearly impossible to access. I'm sure after I've done it once or twice I'll get the hang of it but for now it's got me scratching my head. I don't have any indications that the current plugs are bad, I'm just wanting to change the plugs and wires for piece of mind.

All of our camping rigs are coming due for service at the same time so it's a busy day in the garage:
896597780_GWFwW-M.jpg

Please stop posting picture showing your garage. Every time I see it I cry a little......... That's one amazing garage and it's full of toys.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Please stop posting picture showing your garage. Every time I see it I cry a little......... That's one amazing garage and it's full of toys.
LOL! I wish I owned it.
We rent the space from another Expo member.

PS- The garage at our house isn't half as exciting. ;)

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Cue "Linus and Lucy"...

The stripes finally showed up. The guy at the stripe place warned us that the color chart he sent "might not match the actual stripes..." (Uh-Oh!) We ordered a light brown/beige color that looked great on the chart. We received the same product # that we ordered but the actual stripe is a lot more yellow than what's on the chart. My first reaction was, "UGH!"

899025569_eXRjv-M.jpg

My wife thinks it looks great and wants to keep the color scheme. I'm going to give it another day or two before I decide to continue or start over.

In the meantime I keep seeing this:
CharlieBrown.jpg

:sombrero:

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Stryper vs. Stripe-error...

I couldn't take it!
I didn't have the willpower!
I was being haunted by visions of these guys borrowing the Tiger for their next tour:
stryperband.jpg

The Yellow/Beige/Masking Tape/BandAid/Bumble Bee/Charlie Brown stripes had to go.

We're back to a blank canvas:
900099592_RcdZu-M.jpg

Removing the new stripes was much easier than the old ones but it took a lot of paint with it. I'm going to wetsand and prime the area before trying it, again, with a new design. Practice makes perfect, right?

suntinez

Explorer
Now that you've de-striped, I gotta say - good call! Those might've looked ok-ish on a tan Tiger, but on white? Nope.

Are you thinking more stripes or something else entirely? What's that rectangular hole above the fridge vent cover?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179