Our story in choosing an Exped Vehicle and Builder.

srqsup

Observer
We have spent over a 1000 hours researching different vehicles, chassis and builders in the search for our new expedition vehicle, and are writing a 4-part series on the journey -- twoifoverland.com.
We welcome your comments and questions.

srqsup

Observer
I am not pitching our site it's a free blog after all. I thought it would be easier to include a link then cut and paste a 2000 word article. Furthermore, I am not "coat-tailing" I only sharing our experience and thought process in choosing an appropriate vehicle and builder.

ScottReb

Adventurer
Can you give some more specs on the truck. What year, engine, are you redoing the gearing, etc? Love the FMTV trucks so many great options. Totally overlooked on Expo, IMHO. Good luck and enjoy!!

srqsup

Observer
Can you give some more specs on the truck. What year, engine, are you redoing the gearing, etc? Love the FMTV trucks so many great options. Totally overlooked on Expo, IMHO. Good luck and enjoy!!

Our truck is a 2001 FLMTV M1083 powered by a Cat 3116 engine. She had 11k miles when purchased and is undergoing extensive modifications at GXV. For starters the gear carriers and axels have been replaced to give us a 75mph top speed and a 65-68mph cruising speed. The M1083 started its life with a 54gal tank which for our purposes is grossly inadequate. GXV is adding two 100g tanks giving us an approximate 1500mile range. The cab is being, stripped, painted, insulated and extensive sound proofing is being added. New Bostrom air ride seats and all new upholstery will finish it off. The engine exhaust had to be relocated to accommodate the cab to cabin access which will be a fully insulated 2.5" thick locking door. Lastly the frame rail had to be extended to accommodate a longer cabin. Our cabin is 16.5" long with a 4.5" garage for a 21" overall length.
Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll try to answer them ASAP.

SpudBoy

Observer
Hi - just read your first three blogs on how you decided upon a truck and a builder. Very interesting.

I have to ask: what is coat-tailing? Not a term we use down here in Australia...

Thanks for posting.

Cheers - David

Gooseberry

Explorer
I am not pitching our site it's a free blog after all. I thought it would be easier to include a link then cut and paste a 2000 word article. Furthermore, I am not "coat-tailing" I only sharing our experience and thought process in choosing an appropriate vehicle and builder.

Just curious on this quote. Would it not be the same to copy and past a link as it is to copy and past the article ? The reason I ask is I don't see a link in the first post.

Juaqin suave you built your rigs to fit a need to get to places with a level of comfort well before overland was a buzz word and did it with a flare on top of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foxhunter

Adventurer
Sounds like a great rig. Had the LMTV been an option for me in 2011 when I started my build at GXV, I likely would have chosen that over the U500(which I love), due to lack of places to work on them (not that I don't like visiting Rob in California). That said, all mine has needed is routine maintenance. After driving my GXV for 4 years now, the only thing I would have done differently on the cabin, is to not have the opening from cab to cabin. It has seldom been used, was just an added expense and something else that can break (and has). My pass through is likely not as easy to access as yours will be, since we left 3 seats in the cab, to take the grandchild with us occasionally. My wife, would likely not agree with me on not having the pass-thru, though, as she likes it.
While we don't live in ours, there is so much room, that even on a month long trip, we never use all the available space. I have seen some of the cool stuff Mike is doing to the inside of the cabs of those LMTV's, and they are really nice when he is done with them.

david506th

Adventurer
Great article and thanks for sharing. Unlike what others have said you post clear arguments to your decision and much of the Internet is going away from standard forums to social media sites so I see no problem with it. It's your rig and your money so brag away since that is the secondary purpose of this forum (first being information).

srqsup

Observer
Hi - just read your first three blogs on how you decided upon a truck and a builder. Very interesting.

I have to ask: what is coat-tailing? Not a term we use down here in Australia...

Thanks for posting.

Cheers - David

David "coat-tailing" riding someone's coat tails/getting a free ride/piggy-backing/generally being a leach :)

srqsup

Observer
Sounds like a great rig. Had the LMTV been an option for me in 2011 when I started my build at GXV, I likely would have chosen that over the U500(which I love), due to lack of places to work on them (not that I don't like visiting Rob in California). That said, all mine has needed is routine maintenance. After driving my GXV for 4 years now, the only thing I would have done differently on the cabin, is to not have the opening from cab to cabin. It has seldom been used, was just an added expense and something else that can break (and has). My pass through is likely not as easy to access as yours will be, since we left 3 seats in the cab, to take the grandchild with us occasionally. My wife, would likely not agree with me on not having the pass-thru, though, as she likes it.
While we don't live in ours, there is so much room, that even on a month long trip, we never use all the available space. I have seen some of the cool stuff Mike is doing to the inside of the cabs of those LMTV's, and they are really nice when he is done with them.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We looked at the U500 and it was a strong contender for our build as the Unimog is the undisputed king (emperor to be more gender nuteral) of off road vehicles. The issues with maintanece and parts availability in the US pushed us toward the M1083. Our cab will only have two seats so we are hoping that the lack of the third seat will allow easier egress between cab and cabin. Although the M1083s cabin is "extended" it would be nice to have a couple of jump seats in place if some friends want to join us. Alas there are always trade offs. Where have your travels taken you to? Do you find yourself using the Unimogs off road capability?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12