Our Trip back to the Tip of Cape York.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Finally had time to go through some more video and have uploaded some of our trip across the Frenchmans Track. This is of the crossing on the Wenlock River. A nice climb down on the western side fairly steep as can be seen in the video but not a big challenge. The first is by hand held camera, the second is the camera mounted on the rear of my brothers Challenger. I've left a fair bit of extra footage in the second one so you can see the scenery of the area. Ignore the date it seems the camera had a hiccup and I didn't notice it. The camera that i had mounted on the front of the Canter toke some reasonable video but I didn't clean the dust of the lense and at time the Sun shines on it and blocks out the picture.

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Further along the Frenchmans Track you get to the crossing on the Pascoe River. A real good climb down over a fairly rough entry where the axles articulate from one side to the other. You can actually hear the tyre hit on the rear of the guard when it is at full articulation and turned on an angle.( Need to fix that. ) The tyres do a good job as you can see them fold over rocks and hang onto the side of the washouts. The bottom is very hard and covered in boulders and the idea is to just let it clamber over them at an idle till you get to the other side.The first video is with the hand held camera and the next is the front camera on the Canter so you get a different prospective.

I hope you enjoy them.

Dan.

alan

Explorer
I've already started packing my bags for 2015!!! Dan your the navigator, Rob your the official photogragher,I'm happy to be official barman or mechanic:smiley_drive:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I'm still packed so we can go anytime. So yes in the long run we will have to look at dates that will suit most people as it won't suit everyone. Out of school holidays is best but not for everyone, camping areas are not that congested, a lot less people. Early in the season there is a lot more water around which can be fun as mud is always good to play in and gives a lot more challenges. Later in the season I'm told is better for fishing, we haven't done any good in the 2 years that we have been up there but I'll admit I'm not really a fisherman. Certainly a lot to see and it depends on the amount of time that one wants to spend up there.

Dan.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
from way back in post #17

certainly would like to see other larger vehicles (Canters, Isuzus,Okas even ex-army type vehicles
You could drop into our land on the way up, not that the truck will be doing anything exciting.

Alan, are you planing to have your new rig ready for winter '15?

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Finally been through some video and pictures. After the Frenchmans Track we traveled up Lockhart to have a look at the famous Chilli Beach, nice place but we camped elsewhere. Went to Portland Road up the coast a bit, had lunch at the nice little restaurant (a great seafood meal). Just beside the entry to the place there was an Oka sitting on the drive way relaxing and taking in the weather (Pity for it).DSCF0183a.jpg DSCF0185a.jpg

We traveled down through Lakefield National Park, Battlecamp and ended up at a little beach place known as Elim Beach. A beautiful place where the coloured sands are spectacular but you need to get a permit to enter as this is Indigenous land. A permit at the cost of $10.00 per vehicle is required to go and see the sands and tour the area of Cape Bedford and this also lets the driver camp at the camp grounds, other people in the vehicle need to pay 10 per person to camp if you want to stay. Here are some of the Photos that we took at sands.
19 Elim Beach a.jpg 20 Elim Beach a.jpg 23 Elim Beach a.jpg 26 Elim Beach a.jpg 27 Elim Beach a.jpg 30 Elim Beach a.jpg

We traveled over the Cape to the southern side where the beach is nice and wide and there is great scenery. One of the stills that I captured from a video and some video traveling up to the Heads and then back across towards the camp grounds.

Scene a.jpg
Dan.

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
Lovely! Thank you for sharing! Hopefully I can reciprocate with some videos of myself in Southern Utah soon...> Ah work gets in the way!

Allan

fg4oz

Adventurer
great video. We did that track too earlier in June. What a top spot.

I really need to stop looking at this forum otherwise i will want to go again sooner rather than later.

That was a great camp ground too. We found Eddie very helpful.

ben.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I dare say you got a few pin stripes on that track.

Pin stripes add character to the Canter but yes it was tight in some places as was other tracks that we have traveled, all in the fun.

That was a great camp ground too. We found Eddie very helpful.

Yes Eddie is certainly a great bloke. We loved the camp area. Here's our camp video. The flying foxes did make a noise for awhile but I didn't have any trouble sleeping.

Ah work gets in the way!

Tell me about it but sometimes you have to sacrifice the dollars and just go. We don't get any younger and in the long run you get too old to do it.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998