Out with Ford V-10, in with the 7.3 gas engine.

5spd97

So from everything that I can tell the Ford has discontinued production of the V-10 at their Windsor Engine plant and is ramping up to begin production of the new 7.3 gas engine which will be paired with a heavy duty 10 spd automatic. Production should start in May. Idk how long it will be before it is available in 4x4 configuration or if and when it will be available in the E series chassis but this is a big change for Ford medium duty powerplants. I guess the 6.2 will still be available in the interim. Sounds like good stuff on the horizon.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Certainly nothing wrong with the 6.2 Its a great motor.

And you can bet it gets better fuel mileage than what the new 7.3 will....

The new 7.3 is a pushrod stump puller. It wont get stellar fuel mileage.

5spd97

I predict that there will be a huge demand for this powertrain package. Ambulances, C class motorhomes, tow vehicles, buses, rental trucks, etc. I don't see any competition in the gas engine market.

rex_1_mn

Observer
Per Ford they went back to pushrod for better fuel economy at low rpms and heavy load. More for commercial and heavy duty vehicles.

wjeeper

I predict that there will be a huge demand for this powertrain package. Ambulances, C class motorhomes, tow vehicles, buses, rental trucks, etc. I don't see any competition in the gas engine market.

New diesels with their high initial purchase price, borderline insane emissions controls, and more expensive fuel we have moved away from them in our fleet.

We have been running 6.0 chevy gassers for the last ten or so years and besides our heavier hauling applications we are not going back. A set of injectors, a pump and a DPF is almost equal to a gasser long block.

It will be interesting to see how these motors work out in real life, we may make the change to ford's if they fare well.

b. rock

I also thought diesel was supposed to shoot up in price in 2020 when the commercial ships had to switch over to ULSD?

Len.Barron

Observer
GM is about to release the 6.6L gas engine for their 2500/3500 series trucks, it appears that the "war on diesel" is in full swing..

djbonsu

Adventurer
I saw the e-series at the work/truck show last week. 7.3 was on display with 6speed torqshift transmission.
If you are on FB here is some more info i posted:

jkam

nomadic man
Ford better ramp up engine production on the 7.3.
It is used in many applications.
The F53 and F59 RV chassis will get it and they are used by a lot of manufacturers.

D

Deleted member 9101

Certainly nothing wrong with the 6.2 Its a great motor.

And you can bet it gets better fuel mileage than what the new 7.3 will....

The new 7.3 is a pushrod stump puller. It wont get stellar fuel mileage.

Ford claims that the 7.3 and 10 speed will get similar fuel economy to the 6.2 and 6 speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179