Outback Proven: long range fuel tank for tacoma

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
The second round of Tacoma tanks, FJ Cruiser main tanks, and FJ Cruiser Aux tanks are leaving OZ this week.

dcoy

Adventurer
Ben, do you have a price and leadtime to CONUS for the FJ Main tank and aux replacement?

Second that question.

The second round of Tacoma tanks, FJ Cruiser main tanks, and FJ Cruiser Aux tanks are leaving OZ this week.

That's great. I have noticed that none of these tanks are on the Outback Proven website (at least none that I could find). It would be nice to have pricing/availability info for the FJC tanks. Additionally, it would be great to see how the FJC replacement tank fits in the space of the stock tank before we commit to it.

Thanks

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Latest bach of Tacoma, FJ Cruiser main tanks, and FJ Cruiser Aux. tanks are leaving OZ this week. They should be here in about 35 days.

Captm

Adventurer
I'm interested in hearing from those who got in on the first round of tanks of their experience with installation and performance of the product.
Cheers

steve103

Observer
hey thats me. Step 1 was rough you are to thred a brass elbow into the tank,well that sounds easy but what if the threds dont match up in pitch. yeah.
To remove the ring on the cell they say cut.. but if two people with hammer and screwdriver tap together you can spin it right off.
The front mount bar is not to bolt on but to be pressed into the chanel then bolt from the front.
No codes thrown but make sure the hose is not pinched.. if i had to remove this or insatll a second one i will be taking the 4 bed bolts out and lifting that side of the bed up.. it would be much easier to play with all the hoses.. my brother and i had a great time doing the install. filling is slow and takes about 15min. getting about 450mil a tank. love the tank great jobe on the build no skid plate is needed. one more thing the drain plug is a little to exposed,trying the think of some way to protect it a little bit better. all round great thing to do.. i love it..

dcoy

Adventurer
Ben, do you have a price and leadtime to CONUS for the FJ Main tank and aux replacement?

Second that question.

I have noticed that none of these tanks are on the Outback Proven website (at least none that I could find). It would be nice to have pricing/availability info for the FJC tanks. Additionally, it would be great to see how the FJC replacement tank fits in the space of the stock tank before we commit to it.

Thanks

Well there was no response on this thread or email through the Outback Proven website to these questions, but there now has magically appeared pricing for these tanks. So the light is (maybe) at the end of the tunnel.

SGTCap

Adventurer
Rough pricing? I'm trying to figure out how much blood I need to sell to get one. Anyone know what kidneys go for these days? I have an extra.

dcoy

Adventurer
Rough pricing? I'm trying to figure out how much blood I need to sell to get one. Anyone know what kidneys go for these days? I have an extra.

No. Looks like solid pricing (plus shipping and installation). Not radically different prices compared to the Man A Fre, the only previously marketed aux fuel tanks for the FJC.

Here's the link: http://outbackproven.com/c-324113-long-range-tanks.html

Get down to the donor center STAT! Personally, I like having a spare kidney.

Tempted to bite the bullet, but I still would be more comfortable with a picture of it sitting in a real life FJ.

Last edited:

dcoy

Adventurer
Realized that we may have a "little" while to wait for these based on the Outback Proven website (don't really know if my descendents will want one in 1000 years):

•Availability Remarks: "On the water' from Australia. Expected to clear customs by late Sept. 3013.

Last edited:

CMiller

Adventurer
I'm curious to see if the FJ main tank will fit a 4Runner of the same vintage. I might just have to look into a LC Prado 120 tank.

bassfishindoc

I have looked and looked, are there any 2nd gen tacoma auxiliary tanks that bolt in where the spare tire goes? I would love to have an extra 20 or so gallons for the long trips.

OttawaXJ

Observer
Hopefully I can shed light on the discussion. I'm the Ben with Outback Proven.

This tank is made specifically for the US spec Tacoma and does not share any parts with the Hi-Lux. We shipped the Tacoma to Australia where it was used to develop the LRA tank (along with Kaymar rear bar, ARB Bull Bar, Piranha 4X4 battery tray and other bits such as the Power Shower, and dual battery system). It barely made it back in time for SEMA.

The Tacoma tanks are on a container leaving OZ soon. I have some pics of the prototype and a pic of one outside the Tacoma (it's actually an FJ Cruiser, but close enough).

Cheers,

View attachment 143974

So why dont we have a real Safari snorkel then since the taco was already there for measurement?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
So why dont we have a real Safari snorkel then since the taco was already there for measurement?

It wasn't a lack of model to prototype, it was a perceived lack of market. Safari went on a limb for the 1st gen Tacoma (95.5-04) and it wasn't considered a successful endeavor given the slow sales and time it took to move their first batch. I don't think they lost money on it but given they supply snorkels on a global level, it obviously made them re-think the 2nd Gen Tacoma in favor of vehicles that are used on a more global level where as the Tacoma is NA only.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Is Outback Proven still in business? I can't find an actual website and all other online info I can find is old. I sent a PM to flyndrive with no response (it's only been a few days). Are these tanks still available? I'll be in the market sometime in the next 6 months or so. The CES tank seems like it needs a bit more refinement regarding mounting and clearance issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998