Outback TX-1 reviews? Thoughts?

NorCalSam

Adventurer
Are they light weight? or lighter than the steel ones?

Also I don't understand the back spacing thing.

Are they offset or will they stick out more than the stock rims I have? and by how much?

Thanks,
Sam

madizell

Explorer
Back spacing and offset are different things I believe. Back spacing is the distance from the plane of the wheel where it bolts to the axle to the inner rim edge. Less back spacing actually places the wheel farther out from the axle. Most front wheel drive and later 4WD trucks use wheels with a lot of back spacing, placing the majority of the wheel inboard of the lug nuts. Many of the oder vehicles used less back spacing. High back spacing can lead to rim/caliper interference issues, so this is something that you should get right.

I don't remember at the moment what offset refers to but I think it is a reference to the difference between the centerline of the wheel and the plane of the mounting surface.

Aluminum is lighter than steel of the same bulk, but as wheels go, these aluminum wheels (TX-1) are probably on a par with standard steel wheels as far as weight goes. Or, they may be a bit lighter. I would not call these featherweight wheels as they are quite dense, a good thing if you are looking for strong wheels. They have a far higher load rating than a standard wheel of either aluminum or steel, rated at 1,400 kilos per wheel. That's about 3,080 pounds per wheel, which is on a par with most forged aluminum wheels (The TX-1 is cast, not forged -- the website has a typo in that regard), and those using tapered lugs, as most of ours will, have steel inserts at the lug nuts. Quite a few aluminum wheels in this country have no inserts, which is okay for general highway use, but which can cause nuts to loosen on the trail or under hard use. The inserts help to prevent this.

VTO Performance also has lots of other brands and styles which will fit most vehicles, including some of the harder to fit trucks. If the TX-1 is not what you are looking for, I would not give up. Contact Terry at VTO and ask what he can get for you. I found him to be extremely accommodating and willing to take the time to answer questions.

frgtwn

Adventurer
If the TX-1 is cast, and not forged, then claiming it is forged is not a typo, it is a misrepresentation. Perhaps the words have different meanings in Aussie-Land.

"The act of deforming solid aluminium into either a particular shape by hammering or squeezing in a closed die, or deforming between flat platens."
www.metallurgaluminium.com/glossarymain.html

This is one definition we understand here in the States. So, if they are cast, and then sold in the USA, the claims should reflect that. Or, if there is some kind of production that we are not familiar with, explain it.

Dale

frgtwn

Adventurer
"for sure?"

I certainly would not speak for the sellers, but these wheels sure look cast to me. Look at a picture closely, and you will see the max weight imprinted in the casting. Also, the design of these lend themselves to a casting, not a forging.

There is precious little information on the US seller's website, and little more on the Australia website.

http://www.performancewheels.com.au/industrial.asp#

Another thought: The max load for this wheel far exceeds the max load for a similar size Alcoa true forged wheel. Alcoa forged has the US reputation for about the toughest wheel out there. I wonder if Alcoa is quoting a number that passes a US standard that Performance Wheel (Aus) does not have to match. Anyone know?

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
frgtwn said:
I certainly would not speak for the sellers, but these wheels sure look cast to me. Look at a picture closely, and you will see the max weight imprinted in the casting. Also, the design of these lend themselves to a casting, not a forging.

There is precious little information on the US seller's website, and little more on the Australia website.

http://www.performancewheels.com.au/industrial.asp#

Another thought: The max load for this wheel far exceeds the max load for a similar size Alcoa true forged wheel. Alcoa forged has the US reputation for about the toughest wheel out there. I wonder if Alcoa is quoting a number that passes a US standard that Performance Wheel (Aus) does not have to match. Anyone know?

I thought they looked cast, but thought it may just be a "hammer coat" powder coating. That, and they would be considered inexpensive for forged wheels.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Tx-1

I've been thinking about these for my Tundra. I noticed on the VTO site that they exclude the T100 and The Tundra from there fitments. Does anyone know if it is caliper clearance issues? I thought that the T-100 had far less issues with that?? The 3.9" backspace is plenty of room not to rub the upper A arms with a 285. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks

paleohntr

Nice looking rim, but I don't know if I'd want them considering how much mud I run in. Alot of pockets to grab and hold gumbo and potentially throw the wheels way out of balance. Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle