Outdooraholic's Montero Sport Adventure/Build thread

Taylor1

Observer
Thanks for sharing the adventure and route details. This is about where I plan to explore spring/early summer next year.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
It was very busy at our house over the holidays so no adventures and not much work done the on the MS either. Now things are slowing down again and it's time to starting having some more fun! First things first though, maintenance. Over the winter I developed a leak between the transfer case and the front drive shaft. I went ahead and ordered a new Timken seal, 3 quarts of Redline MT-90 full synthetic gear oil, and a new transmission mount, as I had noticed mine was completely shot. Today I finally got some time and got the job done and am happy to report that there is no more leak! Changing the seal and mount actually went pretty smoothly and only only took about 2 hours tops.

image.jpg

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
As a note on the transfer case seal... It ended up being a bit of a fiasco. RockAuto as the front and rear output deals mixed up on their site, so the seal I used was actually the rear output and it leaked like crazy. I had to do an emergency seal swap the next day. Fortunately it is NOW leak free!
image.jpg

A few months ago I picked up the factory rear window deflector off a MS at the local junkyard and finally got around to installing it today. I picked up some nut inserts, drilled 4 holes, and got it bolted on. I think it looks great!
image.jpg

Tomorrow the plan is run a semi-local trail, Juanado Pass, in Anthony, TX.

Last edited:

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
What was the part# you bought from RockAuto for that tcase seal? I believe mine is starting to leak.

Thank you.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
What was the part# you bought from RockAuto for that tcase seal? I believe mine is starting to leak.

Thank you.

The part numbers are the same for Timken (sold at RockAuto), National (sold at Rock Auto, O'reilly, AutoZone and Pepboys) and Duralast (sold at Autozone). 224052 is listed as the front and 223608 is listed as the rear on all of their online catalogues. I don't know why because 224052 replaced my front seal, MB731708, without leaking, while 223608 has a smaller interior diameter and leaked like crazy. The actual Mitsubishi part numbers are front MD731708 and rear MB919210.

Last edited:

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Juanado Pass - Anthony, TX

Today my buddy with his 2017 Tacoma and me with my 2000 Montero Sport went down the Juandao Pass Trail and did some more exploring around the desert outside of Anthony, TX. Both trucks did well, although his Tacoma made it through one boulder section that my Sport couldn't, due to his factory rear locker vs my open differentials. We had a lot of fun and the only damage is one ripped off mudflap from the back of my truck and a cracked side step on his.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Thank you soo man man...much appreciated!!
No problem!

A couple of days ago I decided to finally diagnose and fix my flashing 4wd light. It's been flashing since I bought the truck but the 4wd worked so I never paid it much mind. Well I tested the resistance on the both sides of the freewheel clutch control solenoid and found that one side wasn't working at all. A quick swap with a junkyard part and no more flashing light and no more ABS ECU codes!

So today I did a full flush and and fill on the front differential. I drained out the original fluid, filled it up with GL-5 80w90, took it for a spin in 4wd, drained out the new fluid, and refilled it with full synthetic Redline 75w90 high performance gear oil.

image.jpg

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Today I have a small update and a big update!

First off, the small update. When I bought the truck it only came with one key and no key fob. After doing some research I learned that all of the Montero Sports come set up for with the wiring and receiver for the keyless entry. All you need is a remote and you can program it to work. So I got on Mitsubishi's ASA parts catalog and found out that the original part number was MR587977 (FCC ID: E4EG8D-522M-A). After a quick search on eBay I had one shipped to my door for $29. Once it arrived I went though the programing phase and BINGO! I now have working factory keyless entry. Sometimes its the little things.

Second, the big update! Tires have been ordered! I ordered a set of 4 Cooper Discoverer ST tires in LT255/85R16 (33.1" x 10"). They should be at the tire shop early next week and as soon as they come in I'll be having them installed. I'm really curious to see how they perform on my truck. I went with these tires due to their lightweight (only 48 lbs per), their aggressive all-terrain tread, the fact that they are true 33" diameter, and the fact that they are still pretty narrow and fit on the factory 7" wide wheels. My hope is that they will perform well off road while still being well mannered on the road (decent gas mileage and power). My truck has the 4.90 gears from the factory (vs the 4.63 gears), which I think should keep the truck in a decent powerband even with the increased tire diameter. Either way, I will find out soon enough!

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
They fit! So far, first impressions, the truck still accelerates and feels pretty much the same. It doesn't feel bogged down or out of optimal gearing. There is slightly more noise from the tires, but it's hardly noticeable. The next big test as far as normal road driving is the effect on MPG, so I will report back on that. So far I am very happy with this choice of tire and size!

image.jpg
Just installed, in front of the tire shop.

image.jpg
My old 245/75R16 in front of the new 255/85R16. Thats 30.5x9.7 compared to 33.1x10.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
After the first couple of days I am happy to report that these tires/this size rocks! The truck accelerates and drives just like before! The little 3.0 isn't struggling at all. On the highway at 60 MPH I'm running lower RPM's then before too, which looks good for highway MPG's, although I will be taking measurements to compare.

image.jpg

Offroadmuch

Explorer
That is great! I have been thinking about the same tire size. Some of my buddies said it may cause some transmission strain but I think with factory motors the Mitsubishis have very sturdy transmissions. Sounds like yours is working perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior