Outfitter Caribou 6.5 help

clikrf8

My husband and I are about to become owners of a 2005 Outfitter Caribou 6.5. We will also need to trade our 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 extra cab in on a Tundra. Will a 2001 or 2002 Tundra 4x4 access cab with 4.7 liter V8 be adequate for weight and hauling ability? Would the TRD package be worth seeking? Looking at prices, we can afford those years of Tundra.

This one has some real niceties: one piece membrane maintenance free rubber roof, fully welded aluminum frame, torsion assisted lift system, vacuum bonded composite walls, filon, high gloss, UV protected, white FRP exterior, Owens Corning block foam insulation, solar reflective windows, 3'3 way fully insulated, properly vented refrigerator, electronic ignition 16K BTU furnace, microwave oven with inverter, awning 6' rear - fiamma, solar system - 80 watt, basket, rack and ladder, 24" wide scissor step, outside shower with 3 gallon water heater, 4 corner electric jacks, 201b LPG bottle with gauge, power vent system, 21 gallon fresh water supply, shurflo electric water pump, 3 burner high-output stove with Piezo ignition, 30AMP power converter with trickle charge, queen size cab over bed, under-bed storage, LPG and carbon monoxide detectors, locking fresh water fill , 100 and 12 volt outlets, oak interior doors, washable curtains, CD player with AM/FM radio , sliding cab through window, screen door and keyed locking deadbolt, 1 overhead storage cabinet, series 27 battery. We found it almost impossible to locate a used pop up slide in light weight camper locally. This one was 45 minutes away. We were looking for ATC Bobcat, FWC Eagle, Hallmark LaVeta or the Caribou 6.5. After months of research and looking we found this one posted late at night and after we emailed, the owner had many more requests. He is even willing to deliver. Is $12,900 too much? not much out there to compare to.

It may sound like we are putting the cart before the horse, but these lightweight pop ups are really hard to find, trucks much easier.

Thanks for any help. We have to let them know tomorrow afternoon. We are really looking forward to doing some traveling as we are both avid photographers

OTR

Adventurer
Since you haven't gotten a truck yet the Northstar TC800 is a really good deal that is posted on this thread. You could use the extra money and get a slightly better/bigger truck. I,ve heard mixed reviews regarding the build quality of the Outfitter campers. I have and several others have been very happy with their Northstar campers.

I would personally look at the Northstar camper and a newer Tundra with a 6.5ft bed. I think Toyota is offering 0% financing and some really good deals can be had for a new truck in todays economy. This camper would fit nicely in with the tailgate down, adding airbags, and E-rated tires and you'll be set for a long time.

Good luck with your choice.

18seeds

Explorer
That price is way high IMO. I think back then that was probably very close to a the new price.

A tundra should be fine. I would look for a 2005-2006 model. That is when they added VVTI and got a nice HP bump.

IMO opinion i would pass and would look for a FWC, ATC or Northstar 650

Edit: I see your post on R V DOT NET. Just be careful of some of the people posting over there. For some reason there are a Outfitter owners over there that get really defensive. Outfitters depreciate just as fast as any other slide in camper.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Outfitter has a aluminum sub frame, where Northstar uses wood... just something to consider. To be honest ive been loking for over a year and those are hard to find used. I will go with what i find first between an outfitter and Northstar. Personaly i like the outfitter's better but they are a few k, more.

rotti

Adventurer
Just checked out the NS campers. Good price point but that is a pretty hefty camper. For ME, at 1400 DRY, I wouldn't even consider a 1/2 truck.
The Outfitter is a little lighter, but not much by the time you start adding options.

By the time you fill the 30 gallon water tank, add people, dogs, bikes, gas, ammo and beer you are in 3/4 ton territory.
I really think you will be underpowered and overloaded.

I could be wrong, but in the world of slide in campers, I have never ONCE heard of anyone regretting having a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Just my opinion and welcome!

Edit: Just noticed this thread is almost a year old. I'm sure that 1/2 ton broke in half. Never mind.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78