Outlander Trailer Sherpa II project...Dial-up beware!

indiedog

Adventurer
BWJ, looks like you enjoy thinking about this whole thing as much as you will using it! :sombrero:

When it comes to the tent, the cabela's option looks like it'd be a pain to set up and counter to the whole point of having a camping trailer and RTT which are meant for easy quick setup. The Oz tent I imagine is more expensive but would set up much quicker. Other wise you may have to go for something custom. Hope that helps.

Hassle

By the way, all you Engel experts, do you need one or two hinge locks for the fridge?

I have one on my 45, if you look at the fridge so it opens up in front of you, I have it on the left hinge so the lock part sits inboard. On the other side just goes the spacer that comes in the packet as it raises the hinge a couple of mm

Ian

Last edited:

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Update...Tent options continued

Just found this system from the North Face. :Wow1: It is called the 'Docking Station'. It consists of the 6 man common area which can then have several 4 man / 2 man 'rooms' zipped to the 3 remaining panels...Pretty interesting to say the least...

be273847-f796-4ab4-a74d-f02f3cc11ef.jpg

24d45553-ee69-41f3-910c-8bc6f0e4d7d.jpg

NFCTDSMR.jpg

Screen room with floor

ZINGREOR.jpg

2 person room attached...

b79d9110-7b0b-4052-b8b0-eb78071f196.jpg

4 person room attached along w/ a 2 person room...​

Quick dimensions:

Packed weight ~ 19 lbs. 4 oz
Floor dimension ~ 10 x 10 ft
uses 5 DAC 17 aluminum poles
Packed size ~ 12 x 29
Price point is very competitive...

The awning area is reported 79" tall...I bet I could put my Fold-A-Privy in the common area for my wife, as well as, the folding picnic table if we had too.

Very interesting...I'll investigate this system further...:coffee:

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
The build has begun...

It has been quite a long time since I posted. I have been very busy with projects on my 4runner. I had the original 4 way flat vehicle connector converted to a 7 way round connector. In addition, I took my Armorology bumpers and got them sandblasted and coated with Ameraguard coating. The powder coating was taking a beating driving on gravel roads during hunting season, and the winter road salt was taking its toll on them. This bumper project was a PITA, however, looking at it now, it was worth it. Just had to keep my eye on the prize and NOT the process...

Back from the Sandblaster...​

IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

Ameraguard being sprayed on the front...​

IMG_3422.jpg

Ameraguard is on...​

IMG_3418.jpg

Meanwhile, the build has begun on my Sherpa II. I now have pics of MY trailer versus others (Thanks again to 2Bcamping!). Here are some preliminary pics...I did go with a 14 gauge treadplate floor so that I would be able to load firewood / ZTR mower / ATV when needed...:victory:

JonKim005.jpg

Robert will seal the floor seams as well...​

JonKim004.jpg

JonKim003.jpg

Yes, that is a Max coupler that you see...​

JonKim001.jpg

Stay tuned...Tool mounts are next...Axe / Shovel / Hi-lift jack...:Mechanic:

Regards,

BWJ

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Quite the build! It'll be worth the wait for sure!

Still wanting to add a fridge and water tank/pump to my trailer.

Have to keep an eye on this thread, and see how you like the Engal fridge.

HB

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Powder coating and Tool mounting...

Powder coating color: I have decided to powder coat the boxes Anodized Silver. Rationale for the this color choice would be to minimize the heat build up of the boxes during the day.

Jon_Kim_Mobile_Unit_Silvercopy.jpg

silverbig.jpg

Robert did give the me the option of adding additional vents to the boxes if the color was going to be darker, but that would then add additional problems regarding the seal.

Tool mounts: I did not like the tool mounts on the Baja Rack due to COG issues, and it being a pain accessing these implements.

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

Instead, Robert and I are working on some 'custom' tool mounts on the Sherpa II. I bought a Hi-lift Baja Rack mount, as well as a Fiskars shovel and axe mount. I will use these on the Sherpa.

Here are the preliminary photos of the mounts that are going on. Caveat: One issue was placement of these tool mounts. The mounting locations available on this trailer is not too abundant so we had to be creative. Robert came up with a solution that I think will be great. :coffeedrink:

JonKim010.jpg

JonKim012.jpg

JonKim013.jpg

JonKim006.jpg

** Please disregard the location of the shovel / axe mount on the last pic. This option was not going to work because of the size of the Mombasa trailer tent.**

More pics later...

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Suspension, axle, and wheels on...Galley option pondering

Got some pics of the trailer today. Rims are my OEM wheels that came with the 4runner. Tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 (265/75r16).

brirl4_ang.jpg

Rear tire carrier to follow...

JonKim014.jpg

JonKim015.jpg

JonKim016.jpg

JonKim018.jpg

Galley options​

Considering the galley option in the passenger side galley box. I will not be getting a Partner stove since I got a Coleman at a screaming good price...:coffee:

Meystrik005.jpg

Meystrik006.jpg

Meystrik007.jpg

More pics to follow...

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Couple of things left...

Any updates?:coffee:

I have picked up the trailer from Robert several weeks ago. IT'S INCREDIBLE! :wings:

I will post up pics with a complete review as soon as I get the front surfaces sprayed with Ameraguard...:ylsmoke:

This may have been covered elsewhere but, what brand boxes are those that he uses, or does he make them?

These boxes are custom made...Not quite sure where he gets them from...They are exceptional...

Regards,

BWJ

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Here she is...

Here are the pics that I have been able to get. I must say that this process has been 3 years in the making, and it has been worth every minute of it. Big props to all of the fine craftsmen that took part in the build. I could not have done this by myself...Robert Shepherd was GREAT to work with. I have called this man for 3 years bouncing ideas off of him, and this dream is finally realized. I am sure that his shop phone is finally getting a rest. Currently, I am getting my trailer and rig ready to participate in the ORCC / Bass Pro Shops event in early September. Sorry for the driveway pics, I have taken the Sherpa out twice now and it has been AWESOME...:wings:

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3643.jpg

Looks like a need an ExPo sticker...By the way, if a trailer and it's cargo is less than 2,000 lbs total, it does NOT need to be registered in the state of KS! :smiley_drive:

IMG_3629.jpg

Closer view of the fender boxes

IMG_3631.jpg

I had all of the front surfaces of the main and fender boxes coated with the Ameraguard coating. Dan Cusumano (Ameraguard of Lee's Summit) did a PHENOMENAL job with the coating. I removed the fuel can holders and implements (Jack, shovel, axe) but other than that He taped it all off. It is a great exercise to see true pros 'do their thing'...Thanks Dan!

More pics to come!

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78