Outlander Trailer Sherpa II project...Dial-up beware!

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Custom Wheel lock...

Finally, the Sherpa II wheel will be 'locked' using a custom wheel lock from Truck Trailer and Hitch of Kansas City. They were the ones that helped me out with the brake controller installation and wiring. If you ever need anything for your trailer, this is the place to go in Kanas City. Ask for a gentleman named 'RC'. This guy knows trailers like no one else. :ylsmoke:

Anyway, I considered several different kind of wheel locks. The selection ranged from heavy chains 'laced' throughout the trailer to a variety of wheel locks.

18440-wheel_lock.jpg

1808-truck-wheel-locks-2.jpg

theft4.jpg

When I asked 'RC' about wheel lock options for the Sherpa II, he immediately showed me this one. It is his custom design and I give him big props for the ingenuity of it. Simple yet effective...:wings:

IMG_3599.jpg

It is made of heavy gauge steel. It consists of a sleeve that rests above the spring of the trailer and pops out the wheel spoke. 'RC' said that the 'traditional' chains and wheel locks are vulnerable to cordless sawzalls where as this one would be 'less' prone to sawing due to the proximity of lock, and the damage that would ensue cutting it off...I know that no system is fool proof, however, if they want it that bad, it is going to take quite a bit of effort to get this thing off compared to the other locks.

Here is a close up of the lock fitting over the spring...

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

I'm thinking this would be a PITA to saw off, perhaps this would be enough to encourage them to go on to the next trailer...:Wow1:

IMG_3608.jpg

Here is the pic of the lock on the other side of the wheel. We had to use an additional D-ring to prevent the hockey puck lock from moving too much. Remember, this lock is made for small trailer wheels, not 16" Toyota rims...

IMG_3609.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

Final pic of the lock on. Pretty hard to notice this lock from far away. I figure with a Max-coupler removed with a hitch pin hole locked, and this wheel lock on. If the stinkin' thieves overcome all of these obstacles, they can have this trailer.:Wow1:

More field pics to come!

Regards,

BWJ

womacje

Adventurer
With the right coupler, aka Max coupler, theft shouldn't be a problem, right? So long as you remove the coupler ends when parking the trailer.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Yes, theoretically...

I would not put it past thieves to devise some sort of a 'plan' to steal...Trailer guy told me thieves would forego the hitch sometimes and just use tight chains to get it out of view...

My hope is that the commotion along with the effort required to steal this would be so much, that others would realize that they are trying to steal it. I would imagine trying to drive off with the Sherpa II with the wheel lock on would cause quite a stir...Again it's sad that such measures must be taken...

Regards,

BWJ

XJBANKER

Explorer
I love my conqueror, but I really love this trailer as well. Excellent job. What was the estimated price range on your model?

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I love my conqueror, but I really love this trailer as well. Excellent job. What was the estimated price range on your model?

Gotta tell you that the prices do fluctuate due to the myriad of options available. I can tell you that the value for the price that I paid was very competitive when compared to the other trailers available...pm me if you want the specifics

Thanks,

BWJ

Last edited:

Token

Explorer
Any chance you could post some detail shots on how the LP tank is mounted..?? Considering adding a tank on mine sometime in the near future and didn't figure there's a real need to reinvent the wheel if someone's already paved the road.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Power, power and more power...

All,

I am going to upgrade the electrical system over the winter...I have taken the trailer out 8 times this fall, and it is excellent. Still working out the 'kinks' of the Sherpa...

The changes to the trailer will be the following:

1) Bought a Yamaha EF2000iS from Cabela's for a screaming deal. Since I am a Cabelas club member, I got 4x points on my upgraded card in addition to activating two cash cards...When the smoke cleared from the deal, I ended up getting about $500 worth of Cabelas bucks from the purchase...:wings: Luv Cabelas...

2) I will have Robert put in another 55 ah battery and upgrade the charger / controller...Giving me a total of 110ah to work with...Wiring will also be upgraded and shored up. Also will replace the galley lights with some newer brighter LEDs...:coffee:

3) My Baja rack is not being used, so I am going to have a solar option put in as well. The rack will house a 100watt panel and will charge my trailer batteries while traveling. Thus, there will be two 'plug in' receptacles on the trailer...One 110volt and another a solar...

3 ways for power when Spring rolls around...Vehicle alternator / Yamaha Generator / Solar...

Regards,

BWJ

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Save the money from the solar setup...with the generator and a shore power plug you should be golden....how much power (esp. with LED's) can you use? Spoil yourself with some camp chairs and tables...:ylsmoke:

Glad to hear you got to get out 8 times!!:victory: That's one nice setup

Best of luck with it!

pat

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Dropped off the trailer in Arkansas...

All,

Just got back from a cannonball run down to Sheridan, Arkansas and Outlander Trailers. We are doing some upgrades to the Sherpa II and they are the following:

1) Decided against doing the solar system for now (Thanks Titanpat57!)...due to the majority of my camping closer to home in thick 'canopied' campsites, I did not think that solar, at this time, would be the best bang for my buck...

2) Partner stove is a no go for now along with hard plumbing the propane. Gonna stay with the Coleman Max stove.

3) Will go with the addition of another 55ah battery and all the goodies that go with it.

4) Robert just completed a hardwood removable table option ~ Needless to say, I am all over this. In addition, a removable sink is in the works as well.

5) LED galley light upgrades coming with improved weather proof junction boxes / switches.

6) New junction box / switch within the RTT.

7) Improved water tank valve.

slated to pick the Sherpa up in about a month or so...:coffee:

Regards,

BWJ

Doug2000

Observer
Very nice trailer, I built a trailer really quick after the unexpected sale of my 14' tent trailer, to big, to much stuff, to heavy. Well I didn't plan my trailer very well as I built it start to finish in about 2 weeks. I think it's time to start planning one more like this. Take my time, plan it out just like you did.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Update on wheels...

DRSmith ~ Thanks for the kind words! I guess I have been intentional about everything that I do. I do not possess the skills to fabricate a trailer, and if I did, it would take me DECADES to pull it off...I figure I can do some dentistry and pay Robert to do it :drool:

I have decided against getting a new rig for now. 4runner pulls the trailer just fine with my older son and I. We will take the Sequioa when the whole family goes... So, instead of buying a Tundra, I going to get some new shoes for the trailer and my rig. They are the Pro Comp 7028. I figure $1,100 is cheaper than $25,000...:Wow1:

imagesCAQIL62C.jpg

The gratuitous poser shots I found on Google...

DSC_1189.jpg

jktoyo221.jpg

I pick up the trailer in March, shoes and pictures will be posted after that.

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

Bighead

Adventurer
I have decided against getting a new rig for now. 4runner pulls the trailer just fine with my older son and I. We will take the Tundra when the whole family goes... So, instead of buying a Tundra, I going to get some new shoes for the trailer and my rig. They are the Pro Comp 7028. I figure $1,100 is cheaper than $25,000...:Wow1:

Good to hear BWJ...you have built a nicely outfitted rig and it would have been a shame to see it sold.

Looking forward to seeing the newest trailer mods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998