Oven over Fridge. Yes? No? Maybe?

jbillauer

I'm working on building out the inside of my truck camper and the most efficient use of space is to have the oven/stove (GE Profile 17) above the fridge (Dometic CRX 65). I intend to have 2-3 inches of space in between the two units as well as some reflectix and air gaps in between to reflect any heat generated back to it's respective appliance. What are your thoughts?

ExpoMike

I don't see an issue. Heat rises so you're likely not going to get a ton of downward heat transfer. If you have an air gap and reflectix between the two, it is not likely to create any issues. If you wanted to (and can), you could put a thin wood shelf with a thin aluminum sheet on top of it, between the two, to isolate the two areas.

jbillauer

Thank you both for reminding me of that simple fact. Sometimes, when I'm reading the install instructions simple things like that get lost in the mix.

I'm doing some CAD work on the cabinet now since I'll be able to cut it out on a CNC. I'll share those designs and get some feedback in the next couple days.

jbillauer

Spent some time yesterday creating some 3D models of the enclosures for the fridge and the oven. I'm utilizing a flatpack furniture design approach so these can easily be cut out using the CNC. The bottom enclosure (pink) is for the fridge, the orange cube is the fridge placeholder. The top enclosure (yellow) is for the oven, the blue cube is the oven placeholder.

2024-04-21_13h07_47.png2024-04-21_13h07_55.png2024-04-21_13h08_13.png2024-04-21_13h08_28.png2024-04-21_13h09_20.png

Due to the flatpack design the space in between the fridge and the oven now consists of the following:
- .75" of plywood
- 1.25" air gap
- .75" of plywood

@ExpoMike if I were to put that thing sheet of aluminum, where do you think I should put it?

Below is a video of me rotating around the enclosure and turning off the visibility of different components.

ExpoMike

My thought would be on top of the shelf the oven sits on. This should help radiate any heat upwards and should prevent any hot spots on the wood shelf as it will act as a heat sink to a degree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears