Overhaul & Upgades

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
So I built the black truck up about five years ago now, it's pushing 110,000 miles and there's somethings that need to be changed, added, maintained, and overkilled. So I've been collecting parts on a budget and I just scored this Dana 70 to rebuild for under the rear of the Tacoma, yeah this is the overkill part but fairly cheap to build up with a decent aftermarket support and just about unbreakable under a Tacoma. I will pick away at the axle while I start with the rest of the list.

Redo all the shackle hangers with johnny joint hangers.
Relocate the rear spring hangers to accomidate a pair of Chevy 1/2 ton 63" springs.
Make a set of half doors.
Redo the stinger on the front bumper.
Tube fenders or possibile tubed flat fenders.
Redo the rocksliders.
Redo the hydro brackets.
Install a new waterpump and timing belt + flush the coolant system.
Build a rear swing away bumper + plate the rear of the frame for support.
Mount recovery points.
Build a skid plate and clock the T case.

Here are a couple of photos to get things started:

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Matt, you are one sick & twisted dude. I love it! Short of a half track, that 70 will be bomb proof

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
elcoyote said:
Matt, you are one sick & twisted dude. I love it! Short of a half track, that 70 will be bomb proof
Oh yeah! disk brakes, chromoly 35 splines, OX locked eventually. Bomb proof is what I'm looking for. I don't want to break another ring & pinion out in the middle of now where ever again. No more Gilligans Island trips.

CaliCruiser

Adventurer
When did you break a R+P? I didn't think you or Zach have had problems with Toy stuff. I agree, you are sick and twisted!

Dylan

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
CaliCruiser said:
When did you break a R+P? I didn't think you or Zach have had problems with Toy stuff. I agree, you are sick and twisted!

Dylan
Once at Buck Lake on the Rubicon about 4 years ago and again last summer due to 4 years of pushing 37's and wheeling year around plus being my daily driver and I had the bed and ext cab fully loaded down on top of hauling a fully loaded Horizon packed with all my crap.

CaliCruiser

Adventurer
taco chaser said:
Once at Buck Lake on the Rubicon about 4 years ago and again last summer due to 4 years of pushing 37's and wheeling year around plus being my daily driver and I had the bed and ext cab fully loaded down on top of hauling a fully loaded Horizon packed with all my crap.

Oh, should be good with that D70 though! I'll give you a call later if you are around, I am going to be up at Mace Meadows.

Dylan

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
CaliCruiser said:
Oh, should be good with that D70 though!

That could be considered an understatement, the axle housings are 3/4" thick. Me and Zach dragged that thing about 250 yards out of the woods by hand then lifted it up into his bed and you know how high up that thing is, HEAVY! Anyways, just stop bye and check it out. I did some research on it before grabbing it:

First lets ask the question, why a Dana 70? What about the more commonly available and cheaper 14 Bolt rear end? Well, in my case, the price was right, it was rebuilt, had the right gears and was the right width.
On first glance, many would not be able to tell the difference between a 14 Bolt and a Dana 70. Same size ring gear, generally around the same width, come under heavy duty trucks, and so on. But there is more than meets the eye.

Some Specifications and Facts on the 14 Bolt:

Max gearing is 5.13:1
Very limited locker selection
1.5 30 Spline Shafts
Max Torque Rating: 6242 Lb-Ft of Torque
Cast Iron Housing
Some Specifications on the Dana 70:

Max gearing is a massive 7.17:1
Excellent Locker Selection
1.5” 35 Spline Shafts
Max Torque Rating: 8,000 lb-ft or 8,800 lb-ft for the HD
Nodular Iron Housing

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Out with the old.....

New water pump and timing belt, something I've been putting off for a while now. I know this really isn't that cool to look at but I needed to get this out of the way so I can get on with the good stuff and it is something to look at for who ever is bored enough.

Arivalsend

Adventurer
That 70 is going to be stout. Are you going to retain the gearing on it? I am just curious for a dailey driver, although with 37s the ratio may not be as big as with 33 or 35s. Anywho looks like a burley addition. Can't wait to see it onboard. :safari-rig:

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Arivalsend said:
That 70 is going to be stout. Are you going to retain the gearing on it? I am just curious for a dailey driver, although with 37s the ratio may not be as big as with 33 or 35s. Anywho looks like a burley addition. Can't wait to see it onboard. :safari-rig:
Right now I'm rolling 4.88 with 37's and the power and mpg is less than the double cab that is running 5.29's with 37's, so I'm going with a 5.13 ratio since my rig is a 5 speed manual/ no overdrive or sixth gear for the hwy speeds. The original ratio was 3.73 in the 70. And I can't wait for it all to be done either, the process never seems to end.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman