Overland Campers for FG 4x4 and 4x2 Available now in USA, Australia and export

cwsqbm

Explorer
$2.63? Are you nuts? That do-hickey shouldn't cost more than $0.10.

People, regardless of how much money they have, confuse "overpriced" with "expensive". Overpriced is something that is sold for far more than what it costs to produce and keep in inventory. Expensive is a relative term depending on one's personal financial status. There is very little correlation between the two.

90k for a camper is expensive to me and most others, but overpriced depends on the details. If this camper was mass-produced in a third-world country, then it would be overpriced. However, its being made in very extremely low volumes by expensive labor, so at 90k, they're probably not breaking even on the first couple campers and hope to sell more for a profit.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I wonder what all the bells & whistles are?

Here is the options list from the Host website for their truck campers. I would think the options would be similar for the Fuso camper, but I could be wrong.

Rear Slide-Out w/Sofa (Cascade & Everest Only)
Rear Slide-Out w/Ultra-Leather Sofa (Cascade & Everest Only)
Kitchen Wall Slide-Out
Rear Fold-Down Tent (Everest Only)
Upgrade Escape Hatch
Dry Bath (Standard on Cascade & Everest)
Overhead Bunk
Everest Ultra-Leather U-Shaped Dinette (Everest Only)
Insulated Windows
11,000 BTU Low Profile Air Conditioner
13,500 BTU High Efficiency Air Conditioner
DSI Gas/Electric Water Heater w/ Remote Switch
125 Watt Solar Panel w/Dig. Monitor System
Dual Batteries
Satellite Dish w/Digital Elevation Sensor
Automatic Satellite Dish w/GPS
Rear View Camera w/RCA Adapter
12v 19" Flat Screen TV w/DVD and Swivel Arm
AM/FM/CD with 4 Speakers
Microwave Oven
Microwave/Convection Oven
3 Burner Range w/Oven
8 Cubic Foot Refrigerator
Raised Panel Cabinet Doors
Dark Cherry Raised Panel Cabinets
Pillow Shams
Pleated Shades
Accordion Privacy Bedroom Door
Swing Out Jack Brackets
Manual Rear Awning
Power Rear Box Awning
Manual Passenger Side Awning
Power Passenger Side Awning
Bachelor Short Box Modification Skirts
Exterior Speakers
Storage Bay Slide-Out Tray (Everest & Cascade)
Custom Color Graphics
RV Barbeque

jhrodd

Adventurer
It does look good, but a little spendy. My camper was $18,600 new and the truck with Apitong bed and stake sides was $34,000 out the door.

camper.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Jeffrey's camper is a great example of how you can build a very functional ExPo vehicle yourself for less than you might expect. Keep in mind that he put his rig together in 2006. Prices are higher now. For example, the basic Fuso Canter FE 2WD cab/chassis by itself costs in the low $40,000 range in 2012. The Canter 4x4 is mid-$40K.

Jeffrey's camper is an S&S Ponderosa, with side entrance. http://www.s-scampers.com/ponderosa.php

If there's interest in discussing Jeffrey's truck, I'll start a new thread. I don't think this vehicle had a build thread on ExPo.

jhrodd

Adventurer
At the risk of highjacking this thread, has anyone built an Expedition Vehicle on a class 8 truck chassis ? I alternate between designing/building houses and long haul trucking. I usually sell my big truck when I go back to being a builder, in 2005 I did a three way trade with a private party and a Fuso dealer and got the FE in part trade. In '09 I went back to trucking. Now I've got a couple of years worth of building projects stacked up so I'm preparing to sell my '09 Freightliner Cascadia. I have toyed with the idea of turning it into a motorhome. It's very comfortable with a 455hp DD15 engine and a 10 spd Ultrashift it also has a Thermoking APU-Yanmar generator, espar heater, etc. It is a bit cumbersome off the pavement though with 12K and 295/75R22.5 tires on the steer axle. It has 445/50R22.5's on the drives. I get about 8 mpg hauling freight in a 53' trailer and it should do 12-13 or better as a motorhome. I sold a Volvo 770 tractor to a couple in Juneau, AK in 2003 and they paid my expenses to deliver it. I got over 13 mpg up to Skagway and didn't have to add any fuel to the 2 100 gal tanks on the trip. My Cascadia carries 280 gal. Here it is with steam rising off the Madison River in Yellowstone National Park on July 7th. It was 28 degrees at sun up. I had an interactive display to deliver to the new Old Faithful Visitors Center. I could see the geyser going off from the cab of my truck as the install crew unloaded the truck. They even have free wifi there.

victoria038.jpg

potfish

Yes, total thread hijack. Can you start a new thread please? I am actually interested to know more about the original topic. Thanks.

potfish

Back on topic, I'm still waiting to see some details on the non slide-out version, particularly photos, floor plan and pricing.

Travel to Central and South America

Can the U.S. version of the EarthCruiser Outback travel to Central and South America? Or does the U.S. diesel restrictions preclude that?

dlh62c

Explorer
Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
I prefer the side entry, but I don't think it's possible with the slide outs and a 15 foot camper length. Side entry leaves the rear free to mount an exterior storage box or two spare tires.

The rear entry won't interfere with towing a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger