Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) BASE-CAMP Pickup Camper - Soft-Wall and Hard-Wall Versions

SilentE

Hi Transit,

Thanks! Regarding the improvements from our 2006 SMB, (although if you’re in a Transit then you’re in a more modern platform already):

Betts leaf springs all round in our E350 van, (a nightmare on washboard unless really aired down), to Carli/King front springs and Deaver/King custom rear leaves. I suspected a rear sway would be a likely early purchase but the truck rides great without it.

The Cummins 6.7 HO vs Powerstroke 6.0 (bulletproofed and very reliable for us but still not nearly as powerful nor quiet).

We had the “Transformer” build, more or less, from SMB, meaning really no camper interior to speak of, just a built platform in the rear and an empty floor, with an ARB fridge basically the only semi-permanent amenity. My wife loved this floor space for our 3 large dogs, but the Base Camp is much plusher, of course. 680 watts of solar and 630ah of lithium are a large part of this, plus toilet, sink, cooktop, microwave, larger bed, etc…..also no soft penthouse section since we camp in the teens and 20’s sometimes.

Motorcycle lift is something I’ll adapt for bicycles for now, but it’s up high and out of the way. May go back to a light moto to carry one of these days.

I spent many years camping off of BMW GS bikes and as a river guide, and still plan to cook mostly outside, but as I get older I appreciate easy living of a larger rig. We had looked at large exotic trucks for a few years as well as Earthroamers, but the size and huge $$$$ of these always turned me away. Especially during Covid. The OEV build quality is fantastic and with additions of a bumper/ winch, onboard air, some camper “luggage”, and a better light package I think we’ll be happy for a long time.

Hope that answers your question!

Eric

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Eric. Yes, I've got a Transit Sportsmobile with Quigley 4WD conversion. My use case is remote camping, mainly the Sierras and Baja. I'm looking at truck-based campers mostly to further my off-road capability, and I agree on the OEV build quality.

I totally get your reasoning for the transition from the '06 E-series, and I suspect your new rig will be the perfect fit.

PS I go up to Bend, Oregon from time to time, and we stop along the way to visit my wife’s friend in Auburn. Beautiful area.

Cheers.

SilentE

I had a 2000 Quigley Ford (non-SMB) prior to the 2006. Springs in front, straight axle, better road and washboard manners. To be fair, both of our vans low-speed off road behavior was excellent.

So despite my earlier answer I realized I didn’t really address your question very well. One reason I was happy with the SMB Transformer build for so long was that I didn’t really like the quality (or weight) of most van conversions, truck-based campers, or RVs that I had ever seen. Perhaps SMB interior materials have improved since 2000’s but I was content to bring our own durable outdoor gear and have all the space, in a capable off-road platform. But, the use of metals and composites by OEV to create a durable, water-resistant rig is refreshing - not a bit of MDF or soft-wood framing to be found, no creaking or shifting while driving, etc. The quality of the systems in our rig is also very good, and well laid out for service if needed. The Hudson Bay you’re considering seems the same.

I am new to the OEV brand but it’s “how I would do it” if I had the tooling, time, and expertise.

We are also most focused on boondocking the Eastern Sierras off 395, and Baja. Stay safe out there.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for the thoughtful response, Eric. Yes, I've got a Transit Sportsmobile with Quigley 4WD conversion. My use case is remote camping, mainly the Sierras and Baja. I'm looking at truck-based campers mostly to further my off-road capability, and I agree on the OEV build quality.

I totally get your reasoning for the transition from the '06 E-series, and I suspect your new rig will be the perfect fit.

PS I go up to Bend, Oregon from time to time, and we stop along the way to visit my wife’s friend in Auburn. Beautiful area.

Cheers.

If you're coming up to OR, send me a PM. We could meet at TVO (OR/WA OEV dealer), you could check out an OEV as well as my setup. We could talk E350's and Transit's too. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12