Overland Expo West, 2014

adam88

Explorer
Can anyone tell me more info about this camper? Thanks!

oex4-640x426.jpeg

dcoy

Adventurer
Overland Expo Jumping The Shark?

Another fun Expo this year. More than enough different things to do to suit anyone's fancies, IMO.

My concern is that the addition of Overland Expo East will dilute the experience at both Expos. How many vendors and others will opt out of one or the other? Is OE getting too big for its britches? Visions of global domination (that ultimately fall flat)?

zeke2.0

Adventurer
Another fun Expo this year. More than enough different things to do to suit anyone's fancies, IMO.

My concern is that the addition of Overland Expo East will dilute the experience at both Expos. How many vendors and others will opt out of one or the other? Is OE getting too big for its britches? Visions of global domination (that ultimately fall flat)?

So those of us on the east coast who can't make it out there should be ignored?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

I think that the east expo will have a fairly different crowd (weekend campers, etc) because you just don't have the big open spaces out East. But still lots of people that love to get out and enjoy the overland experience, just maybe in smaller chunks.

Give it a few years to settle in and it could do very well IMHO.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

I talked with Roseann & Jonathan about the 2nd event a while back. Based on what they shared with me I don't think that "dilution" is a concern. The East show will compliment the West, rather than simply replicate it.

dcoy

Adventurer
I talked with Roseann & Jonathan about the 2nd event a while back. Based on what they shared with me I don't think that "dilution" is a concern. The East show will compliment the West, rather than simply replicate it.

One would hope so. But if one looks at any business model (restaurants, TV shows, etc), once something becomes a franchise, the end result is something more generic than what one starts with.

justcuz

Explorer
People in the east still enjoy exploring and camping. The overlanding opportunities are not as plentiful as the west and the crowd may be slightly different altogether. I don't see 2 venues separated by 6 months time on opposite sides of the continental US as a serious dilution of the concept. It's more like sharing the experience with folks who may never see the west side of the Mississippi.

EZE

Observer
Just remember, we all liked overlanding before it was cool.

The more the merrier I say. Maybe I can get my east coast relatives to get a day pass and they'll understand why I always "spend my vacations driving".

Howski

My concern is that the addition of Overland Expo East will dilute the experience at both Expos. How many vendors and others will opt out of one or the other? Is OE getting too big for its britches?

I'm not sure you understand that there is a completely different group of potential attendees and vendors on the east coast. There's bound to be some crossover but I'd venture to say 75% of the attendees and vendors will be unique to the east coast event

Ramjet

Explorer
One would hope so. But if one looks at any business model (restaurants, TV shows, etc), once something becomes a franchise, the end result is something more generic than what one starts with.

True, because McDonalds, Burger King, etc, etc have a horrible time making it. Also, those dang CSI shows don't have any viewers as well.

dcoy

Adventurer
True, because McDonalds, Burger King, etc, etc have a horrible time making it. Also, those dang CSI shows don't have any viewers as well.

That doesn't mean they have any soul. I would like to think that we should do all we can to keep OE, which currently has a Mom and Pop (i.e. the Hansons) flavor, from becoming something more like SEMA. That, I assume, was the goal in having it at somewhat out of the way venues, as opposed to the LA Convention Center, or the like. If you want to mass market "Overlanding" and make as much money as possible, I guess you could go in that direction.

conifers4

Suburban nomad
Civil war was the north vs. south. Expo war is the East vs. West.
:) kidding of course

Give us East Coast guys a break, we're already geographically challenged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater