Overland Expo West 2015

Chiz45

Although we didn't camp, my daughter and I didn't mind the mud. We both brought extra clothes and boots because I had a feeling it would be that muddy. Actually, I would almost rather it be muddy than dusty (we both have bad allergies)..

Vendors area mud was nothing like the camper side; it was sticky clay that grew on your feet with each step, and as water collected, it became dangerously slick. I was far away from the entrance, so I kept thinking I was lower than the others and had more slop.

mkitchen

Explorer
No more complaints, please.

The Expo does not promise perfect weather. Possibly if it did, and you checked the box and paid the $20 dollars for that provision, then you can complain. I have been to every Expo held in Mormon Lake and one down in Amado. I enjoyed them all. Some were warm, some windy, and this one wet. If we waited for the best of weather before we went out, we would not get out of the driveway very often.
We heard that the weather was going to be rough so we opted not to take the bikes on the two day back country trip to get to the Expo. Instead we drove (not as much fun but we still had a great time) and made the best of it.
My hats off to the organizers and to all the vendors. It could have turned out a lot worse but it seemed like most everyone did their best to be upbeat. Rain or shine, count us in again next year and hopefully we will be blessed with great weather and some of us can do a few days on the motorbikes after the event.
Mikey
PS I too have a very bad knee and need to be careful about where I step, but step out I did and am glad of it.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
They said I would get stuck in the parking area.

LOL :xxrotflma :smiley_drive:

Focusing more on the GOOD things makes for a generally more enjoyable experience than only contemplating the things that didn't go as you had planned ahead of time (adventure!).

I also saw Lance's truck twice, but never saw a Lance. A bit of disappointment there but there's the future still.

BenHedrick

Adventurer
WOW!! Yucky weather at Overland Expo West...! Overland East Expo is looking pretty good...! Just windy, a little chilly and a little wet last year, but not bad at all.

Ben

There is now bad weather only bad gear :)

I moved over to one of the NF campgrounds Saturday night with the AZFJ guys and it was great to have a real fire...

Amphibeast

Adventurer
Yup… just a little muddy! lol… but a lot of fun! My son learned to drive "mud style" in the pigsnot swamp (AKA camp ground) The dust control was amazing this year! Trying to leave we got a little sideways, almost slipped off the entrance bridge into the fence posts by the port-a-johns! LOL… this was some crazy slip n' slide glue morphine mud! I did feel bad for the submerged tents… but then again if you google "weather" & do your homework……… Just saying!

I wish we had the 8x8 there this year!!!! Timing is everything…. Hope it rains next year…. (for :30 each afternoon at 5pm only… Expo planners please note this)

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
There is not bad weather only bad gear :)

I moved over to one of the NF campgrounds Saturday night with the AZFJ guys and it was great to have a real fire...
I started a thread over in the clothing and camping gear sections looking for suggestions or lessons learned while dealing with the rain and mud. What worked for you and what didn't?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Well, it was definitely entertaining, I can attest to that.

However, next year we'll be camping up on the ridge, not in the cow pasture. Oh, and it's not pigsnot, it's cow**** :sombrero:

I saw you got the mast out to him, Stump. Nice.

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Well, it was definitely entertaining, I can attest to that.

However, next year we'll be camping up on the ridge, not in the cow pasture. Oh, and it's not pigsnot, it's cow**** :sombrero:

I saw you got the mast out to him, Stump. Nice.

Indeed the mast made its way out to me and my campsite in that gigantic mud pit ��

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Indeed the mast made its way out to me and my campsite in that gigantic mud pit ��

LOL....if you think that was a gigantic mud pit, you needed to go about 300 yards East, and visit me D).

Lots of fun out there, Saturday and definitely Sunday was a great opportunity for training in pulls, snatch strap use, recovery communication, etc. The open camping area was where the real classes were being held :REExeSwimmingHL::********::clapping:

Good meeting you, BTW. Can't believe you drove out from your home base to visit OE. I'm sure that board will be the source of lots of entertainment in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger