Overland Journal Completes Water Filter and Purifier Test

c.nordstrom

World Traveller Extraordinaire
Overland Journal Completes Water Filter and Purifier Test

Overland Journal publishes the most comprehensive and decisive water filter and purifier review ever conducted in North America. Twelve units were tested and evaluated by our staff scientist using an accredited laboratory.

Prescott, AZ, October, 2009 – The Fall 2009 issue of Overland Journal contains a 20-page comprehensive water filter and purifier test that evaluates the units for 4-wheel drive vehicles, adventure motorcycles, and overland bicycles. The test, performed by Graham Jackson, reviews 12 different water filters and purifiers from MSR, General Ecology, HydroPhoton, Lifesaver Systems, Katadyn, Cascade Designs, 3M, and Doulton.

Clean water is one of the most valuable resources on the planet – humans simply can’t survive without it. Every overland excursion relies on the availability of clean water – therefore it is important that overlanders be aware which system is right for them. The tests were designed not to verify or refute manufacturer claims but rather to evaluate real world performance. Lab tests were focused on three areas important to overlanding: elimination of organisms, elimination of turbidity, and reduction of foul taste and odor. Cost, build quality, serviceability, effective lifespan, applicability to overlanding, and efficacy were all evaluated.

The tests were performed with the support of Wibby Environmental, a lab that provides proficiency testing standards to the water treatment industry for EPA compliance.

The Fall issue is available at www.overlandjournal.com or by calling (928) 777-8567.

About Overland Journal
Overland Journal is dedicated to expedition travel and exploration in North America and around the world. Featuring 128 pages of expedition vehicles, travel stories, equipment reviews, and conservation news, Overland Journal is setting new standards in adventure travel journalism.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I really liked the filter review. It has a great mix of filter systems, and covers a good price range. Nice work!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have a question maybe Graham can answer. For some of these filters that were not 100% effective (but darn close) is it safe to assume that some of the ecoli bugs that did get through did not retain the ability to reproduce to unsafe levels? Could those tiny numbers that slipped through be cultured to see if they could grow to significant numbers. This is more a question about the nature of these watery buggers than the filters.

With regard to the Steri Pen, the bugs that were cultured after being neutralized showed some reproduction, right? Did you determine if those numbers were significant to cause a health risk? And was the cultured environment more hospitable than say, my gut?

dms1

Explorer
It would have been nice if they tested the MSR MiniWorks EX microfilter, according to the MSR website it is the "worldwide best-selling microfilter" and also the filter I use. When I bought back in the 90's I thought it was one of the best filters on the market.

I was really hoping it would be included so I could see how it stacked up to the competition.

Specs

Effective against protozoa Yes
Effective against bacteria Yes
Effective against viruses No
Effective against particulate Yes
Effective against chemicals/toxins Yes
Weight 1 lb / 456 g
Width 2.75 in / 7 cm
Length 7.5 in / 19 cm
Filter media Ceramic Plus Carbon
Filter pore size 0.2 microns
Flow (L/min) 1 liters per min
Flow (strokes per liter) 85
Cartridge life ~2000 liters
Field cleanable Yes
Field maintainable Yes
Country of Origin Made in Seattle, USA
Mechanical advantage Yes
Water Bottle Adapter Yes
Cartridge replacement indicator Yes

gjackson

FRGS
I have a question maybe Graham can answer. For some of these filters that were not 100% effective (but darn close) is it safe to assume that some of the ecoli bugs that did get through did not retain the ability to reproduce to unsafe levels? Could those tiny numbers that slipped through be cultured to see if they could grow to significant numbers. This is more a question about the nature of these watery buggers than the filters.

With regard to the Steri Pen, the bugs that were cultured after being neutralized showed some reproduction, right? Did you determine if those numbers were significant to cause a health risk? And was the cultured environment more hospitable than say, my gut?

The colilert test for e-coli on the treated water involves culturing the sample and getting reproducing bugs. The broth they are cultured in is very friendly for them, but then so is your gut. All of the treatment system companies are using the EPA protocol which just requires a reduction of bugs, not an elimination. So for the systems that did let some through, I wouldn't discount them completely, just judge them based on how they stack up to their claims. Also understand that their claimed reduction numbers are statistically derived from a sample set. In the case of this article we did and could not run multiples of the same system, so this is a one take snapshot. That's why I did several different concentrations of bugs to get a broader spectrum of results for a more informed analysis.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Graham. What a great test. I'm a gear buyer for a retail store and have been to gobs of trade shows over the years and you found filtration units I had never heard of. Great work on that piece.

And to share some personal feedback on those Platypus bags: I agree with you that the initial impression makes it quick to think they're a little hokey and not likely to survive a good outdoor beating. However, I used five of the six liter bags on my 90 day sea kayak trip of the Sea of Cortez. I dragged those poor things in and out of my boat every single day. I even slept on them one night on a super rocky beach near La Paz. They're extremely durable.

Thanks for your hard work on that test. I guess I'll order more Sweat Water units for the holiday season!

Christophe

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Perfect Timing... Almost.

On friday Oct. 2nd, myself and two hunting partners left for a nine day backcountry hunt. Our destination was the Arc Dome Wilderness in central Nevada. We backpacked in and set up camp at 10,200' elevation. Our goal was to remain in the Wilderness designated area (Away from ATV's and other motorized vehicles) for four days and three nights (Unless, we were of course lucky enough to harvest a nice Mule Deer specimen before that). We would then return to the base camp and decide to either re-supply and re-enter or try other locales. Only one of us had drawn a tag, the other two were for spotting, packing out and morale.

A quick check of the mailbox revealed that I would not have the latest Overland Journal as reading material for the drive. Little did I know, the latest issue dealt with the very serious topic of water filtration (And what a great job it did too).

After awhile of hiking what felt to be straight up, we came to a typical Nevada Creek. Not too wide, nor too fast. One of my buddies whipped out his MSR SweetWater and started filling the remaining hydration bags inside his pack. We were all equipped with Eberlestock backpacks that have the feature of multiple hydration bags ranging between two to three liters. Since his water filter was out, everybody used his MSR and I left my Katadyn Pocket filter inside my pack. At nine ounces more, I was hesitant to even bring my filter at all knowing that he would have his (That was a fleeting moment followed by a quick return to sobriety).

I was initially very impressed by the size, weight, speed and ease of the little MSR unit. After the record time fill ups, we were back on the trail towards our destination. In the immediate time that followed our fill ups, during the quiet drudgery that turns into the smooth rhythm of hiking, I thought to myself; "Had I bought the right filter for my needs, or could I have gotten by with a smaller, lighter faster unit? How nice would it be to have a filter that much smaller, lighter."

We reached our destination situated in a saddle at 10,280 feet elevation. We set up camp and then started scouting the immediate area for the next few hours. After a warm meal we retired to our tents for the evening. I should mention that at 5:00 p.m. it was a balmy 29 degrees.

The next morning came too fast. We were in position before sunrise and glassed for hours before returning to our camp where we enjoyed a hearty breakfast of oatmeal and espresso's (Yes, I had packed my Handpresso) Here I am worrying about a nine ounce difference in water filters and I packed a damn espresso machine up two thousand vertical feet. The things that come to you when your thawed out in your office at home??

After breakfast we hiked to a nearby spring (For clarity, we will call it Big Spring) that looked good on the map. I say looked good on the map, because while planning our routes in the comforts of home, I picked an area with four springs around it to set up camp. Since we had no prior knowledge of the area, the map was all we had to go by. While hiking in, I feel it should be noted that with the exception of the aforementioned creek, three of the four springs were dry. Upon arrival at the "Big Spring" we found a trickle of water in an area very well trampled by cows and mined with cow patties. The water was barely flowing from the mountainside and there were a few shallow pools of water that weren't moving at all. Both filters were removed from the packs and the process was started. Within the first few pumps it was made known to us that the MSR was failing to produce. It's unknown to us what part had failed, or if something had froze during the night, but the fact remained it wasn't pumping. It probably is/was operator error, but at that moment it didn't matter.

The nine oz. heavier Katadyn performed flawlessly, filling about 19 liters at that sitting. Was it bigger? "Yes," was it slower? "Sure." The Katadyn remained our only usable filter for the duration of the trip. Since returning home, I've yet to hear the prognosis of the MSR.

It was then on the mountain that all thoughts of doubt left my mind. I am very pleased with the fit, finish, construction and materials of the Katadyn Pocket. And dare I say, a little reassured when I look down and see the "Swiss Made" engraving on the barrel.

Besides, it's what a well known local road bike frame builder once said, "Your bike doesn't need to lose weight. You need to lose weight."

A buddy filling up his third bladder for the morning.
IMG_1548.jpg

A better shot for the perspective on the "Big Spring."
IMG_1550.jpg

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great story. How did the hunt go?

What a beautiful area. I really want to do some more hiking in that area, just when it is warmer...:sombrero:

Jack

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Great story. How did the hunt go?

What a beautiful area. I really want to do some more hiking in that area, just when it is warmer...:sombrero:

Jack

Arc Dome is an awesome area. I am planning to go back in the summer to visit area again. There is a stone hut on top that was once used by the military and remains of a U.S. Bomber that needed about 20 feet more elevation to clear the top, but sadly did not get it.

As far as the hunt, we didn't see anything that met our requirements or that we were willing to haul off the mountain. What was nice, we didn't see a single other person, nor did we see any litter.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
On friday Oct. 2nd, myself and two hunting partners left for a nine day backcountry hunt. Our destination was the Arc Dome Wilderness in central Nevada. We backpacked in and set up camp at 10,200' elevation. Our goal was to remain in the Wilderness designated area (Away from ATV's and other motorized vehicles) for four days and three nights (Unless, we were of course lucky enough to harvest a nice Mule Deer specimen before that). We would then return to the base camp and decide to either re-supply and re-enter or try other locales. Only one of us had drawn a tag, the other two were for spotting, packing out and morale.

A quick check of the mailbox revealed that I would not have the latest Overland Journal as reading material for the drive. Little did I know, the latest issue dealt with the very serious topic of water filtration (And what a great job it did too).

After awhile of hiking what felt to be straight up, we came to a typical Nevada Creek. Not too wide, nor too fast. One of my buddies whipped out his MSR SweetWater and started filling the remaining hydration bags inside his pack. We were all equipped with Eberlestock backpacks that have the feature of multiple hydration bags ranging between two to three liters. Since his water filter was out, everybody used his MSR and I left my Katadyn Pocket filter inside my pack. At nine ounces more, I was hesitant to even bring my filter at all knowing that he would have his (That was a fleeting moment followed by a quick return to sobriety).

I was initially very impressed by the size, weight, speed and ease of the little MSR unit. After the record time fill ups, we were back on the trail towards our destination. In the immediate time that followed our fill ups, during the quiet drudgery that turns into the smooth rhythm of hiking, I thought to myself; "Had I bought the right filter for my needs, or could I have gotten by with a smaller, lighter faster unit? How nice would it be to have a filter that much smaller, lighter."

We reached our destination situated in a saddle at 10,280 feet elevation. We set up camp and then started scouting the immediate area for the next few hours. After a warm meal we retired to our tents for the evening. I should mention that at 5:00 p.m. it was a balmy 29 degrees.

The next morning came too fast. We were in position before sunrise and glassed for hours before returning to our camp where we enjoyed a hearty breakfast of oatmeal and espresso's (Yes, I had packed my Handpresso) Here I am worrying about a nine ounce difference in water filters and I packed a damn espresso machine up two thousand vertical feet. The things that come to you when your thawed out in your office at home??

After breakfast we hiked to a nearby spring (For clarity, we will call it Big Spring) that looked good on the map. I say looked good on the map, because while planning our routes in the comforts of home, I picked an area with four springs around it to set up camp. Since we had no prior knowledge of the area, the map was all we had to go by. While hiking in, I feel it should be noted that with the exception of the aforementioned creek, three of the four springs were dry. Upon arrival at the "Big Spring" we found a trickle of water in an area very well trampled by cows and mined with cow patties. The water was barely flowing from the mountainside and there were a few shallow pools of water that weren't moving at all. Both filters were removed from the packs and the process was started. Within the first few pumps it was made known to us that the MSR was failing to produce. It's unknown to us what part had failed, or if something had froze during the night, but the fact remained it wasn't pumping. It probably is/was operator error, but at that moment it didn't matter.

The nine oz. heavier Katadyn performed flawlessly, filling about 19 liters at that sitting. Was it bigger? "Yes," was it slower? "Sure." The Katadyn remained our only usable filter for the duration of the trip. Since returning home, I've yet to hear the prognosis of the MSR.

It was then on the mountain that all thoughts of doubt left my mind. I am very pleased with the fit, finish, construction and materials of the Katadyn Pocket. And dare I say, a little reassured when I look down and see the "Swiss Made" engraving on the barrel.

Besides, it's what a well known local road bike frame builder once said, "Your bike doesn't need to lose weight. You need to lose weight."

A buddy filling up his third bladder for the morning.
IMG_1548.jpg

A better shot for the perspective on the "Big Spring."
IMG_1550.jpg

Freezing could be the culprit. Always pump it out before stowing. Also, depending on the water quality, I have to clean mine pretty often to maintain good flow.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior