Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I'll let her sit in it and make "driving" sounds....:elkgrin:

....although I do wonder if those nice Sandstorm seat covers would fit a 70 series.... :ylsmoke:

-H-

Scott Brady

Founder
Land Rover Genuine... from British Pacific (we have a commercial account)

I will rebuild the pump I pull out with the NAPA internals.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
I think you will see that just carrying the pump itself without the housing is really the way to go. It's basically the difference between trying to pack a basketball vs. a tennis ball. Beyond the whole housing being awkwardly sized it seems a bit fragile to be stowed away safely for any long duration.

muskyman

Explorer
I think you will see that just carrying the pump itself without the housing is really the way to go. It's basically the difference between trying to pack a basketball vs. a tennis ball. Beyond the whole housing being awkwardly sized it seems a bit fragile to be stowed away safely for any long duration.

x2

doing the conversion the first time with the 5/16" ID hose and getting the wires squared away makes swapping the pump the next time on the trail a snap. then all you need to carry is a pump and a fuel pump relay and the fuel system is covered and those two items are small and really not going to get damaged packed in a trail kit.

plus murphy's law says that if you have a back up pump and relay threatening to step up the first string will never leave the game:sombrero:

edit: the issue with packing a non-stock pump in the trail kit to back up a stock pump/housing comes from the wires and the accordian hose. The after market pump has a slightly smaller OD on the output and the electrical plugs are different so its not just a plug and play. That is what I meant by the "conversion" once that is done then the trail swap would be just a 10 min plug and play and your good to go. If you do stay with your plan Scott make sure to add some 5/16" ID reinforced fuel line some high pressure fuel clamps and some crimp on wire connectors as well to the trail kit and then you will be covered. Plus you will then be the savior for another D1 at some point!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman