Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
sacto_patrol said:
Does the DI require premium gas like the DII?

yes. Although lots of people don't run premium, but I've heard too much about messed up valves from not running premium, so mine always had it (one reason I sold it ... 13 mpg and premium = $$$$$$) Oh how I miss it though.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
I do plan on that. One of the main reasons I purchased this vehicle is the whole concept of buying "pinnacle" vehicles. Buy the vehicles that were at the pinnacle of trail performance and robustness, yet also had fuel injection and 70 mph road stability. But also buying just before the ridiculous luxo SUV phase, where everything is over-complicated and electronic.

I believe (just IMHO) that the Defender, Disco I, FZJ80, Trooper, Gen. 1 Tacoma and early 90's Truck, all of the EFI 4Runners to 2003, and maybe a few others (like the Jeep Cherokee) represent that. The vehicles were still built with the concept of utility, before the soccer mom killed the whole segments usefullness.

I will still build modern platforms, but will likely wait until a diesel is available.

It will almost certainly be a 4-door, long bed Tacoma or the JK Unlimited.

Awesome concept - don't forget about the mid to late 90s Montero SR ... like a poor man's landcruiser

kcowyo

ExPo Original
:iagree:

I've looked long and hard at the '95 Montero SR, available with a locking differential, 3.5ltr V6, 3 way adjustable suspension, 5 speed adjustable transmission, and 3rd row seats. Some great options from a world class manufacturer. The Montero/Pajero is the most succesful vehicle in the Paris Dakar Rally.

I'm not aware of another vehicle available in the US with a manual tranny, locking diff and 3rd row seating. A Montero SR build would make a great sleeper vehicle.

rripatti

Observer
Hi Scott,

Thanks again for your input in my own white disco 5-speed on the other thread!

After reading your thread again, I was wondering if you plan to regear your truck given that you are going from a 29 inch tire to almost a 32" tire? if you are, what ratio where you thinking?

:)

Scott Brady

Founder
rripatti said:
Hi Scott,

Thanks again for your input in my own white disco 5-speed on the other thread!

After reading your thread again, I was wondering if you plan to regear your truck given that you are going from a 29 inch tire to almost a 32" tire? if you are, what ratio where you thinking?

Yes, we will be installing 4.10's :) and HD axles.

rripatti

Observer
Awesome! I'm guessing you will be going with Great Basin Rover's combo? :)
If i remember correctly the speedo gear is taken from the transmission so with the 4:10's and 32" tires, your speedo should be pretty close to accurate reading.

or maybe im' thinking wrong, i'm such a noob haha!

expeditionswest said:
Yes, we will be installing 4.10's :) and HD axles.

Green96D1

Explorer
rripatti said:
Awesome! I'm guessing you will be going with Great Basin Rover's combo? :)
If i remember correctly the speedo gear is taken from the transmission so with the 4:10's and 32" tires, your speedo should be pretty close to accurate reading.

or maybe im' thinking wrong, i'm such a noob haha!
I love noobs

I like helping them.:wings:

GBR is great

also for hd axles check out Rovertracks.

keith is agreat guy and his products are extremely tough

rripatti

Observer
haha, thanks Green96! i guess you could say i got the full blown rover fever! I'll stay with my stock axles for now but i'll be sure to speak with GBR and Rovertracks as a preventative measure:)

Green96D1 said:
I love noobs

I like helping them.:wings:

GBR is great

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Green96D1 said:

Oh great, there you go inflating Keith's head even more! :shakin:

X3, planning on his front axles.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Mr. Brady,

I was browsing this thread and took note of the lack of photos... any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mr. Burrows

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
FourByLand said:
Mr. Brady,

I was browsing this thread and took note of the lack of photos... any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mr. Burrows

Mr. Brady:

I would concur with Mr. Burrows above request to provide us with some picture depictions of the afore-mentioned vehcile. Your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated by the readership of this esteemed site.

Yours Truly,

Mr. Walcker

:shakin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan