Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

jscusmcvet

Explorer
The Disco is still purring along, and although the major work is all finished, there are still things that come up from time to time.

My latest effort is to improve the rear door cover/panel. The factory one uses a subwoofer and a small storage tray. The tray is fragile and the speaker is in the way of extra storage. With my tray cracked and the speaker useless, I decided to install a simple aluminum and powdercoated panel from Columbia Overland. We are in the middle of the work right now, but will post up some images soon.

Did you ever install the panel and if so, is it just a flat panel or are you modifying it for either storage or with a fold out table or something I haven't mentioned/thought of?

Thanks for this thread, by the way. I finally read it all. I am just beginning my LR journey with a 97D1 and found this very helpful. Earlier in the thread you mentioned that you might do a "final" list of mods that you stuck with. That would be great if you ever got to it.

John

ssssnake529

Explorer
Did you ever install the panel and if so, is it just a flat panel or are you modifying it for either storage or with a fold out table or something I haven't mentioned/thought of?

Thanks for this thread, by the way. I finally read it all. I am just beginning my LR journey with a 97D1 and found this very helpful. Earlier in the thread you mentioned that you might do a "final" list of mods that you stuck with. That would be great if you ever got to it.

John

Don't know what Scott did, but I put a table on mine:

attachment.php

attachment.php

colvere

Observer
I just purchased a clean white 99 sd in centerville a few weeks back to replace the 97 SD I had on the ARB adventure. So the kitting begins, I purchased the back issue on detailing your build. I love the disco 1

Maine 110

Scott I have scoured the ham section to see if you posted your antenae install on ther, but have not found it... Would you share a few photos, I am installing my 2m in my d1 and am considering the hood lip mount and was wondering which one you used and how it works in real life.

Thanks,
Jesse

Red Coat

Draws

Scott,

Some time before all the skinny versus wide arguement you mentioned you would have liked to have had a higher lower draw in your draw system. Please could I ask you to describe the height you would request if you could do it over (pleas be specific internal draw height vs external height).

Thank you

Paul VKD

Scott Brady

Founder
I took the Discovery out for a little fun yesterday, stretched its legs and even used the rear locker a few times. For recent mods, the only real change has been a 1" spring spacer on the rear suspension from Columbia Overland. It helped level the truck and put the rear driveshaft into the correct angle.

It is amazing how good these trucks really are. No wonder the Discovery collected so many awards when it was first introduced.
303008_10150566022313275_640113274_11741024_958254  203_n.jpg

I ended up scratching the crap out of it on this trail, but it was probably the best thing. Maybe I will stop babying it so much and just use it as intended. . . or maybe I will just hit it with another coat of wax - hopefully both.

386288_10150566025923275_640113274_11741042_163767  2301_n.jpg

We were also testing a new camera for run and gun trips, the Sony NEX-5N. Here is a cheesy video I slapped together from a few of the clips.

Here is the full trip report: Turkey Day Exploring

Scott Brady

Founder
I am prepping the Disco for a nice trip into the Altar Desert of Mexico and had a small issue arise on the last trail run. I am hoping for some assistance with a diagnosis. This is a 1995 with the CUX distributor ignition.

Once warm, and after driving on the trail for a few miles, the engine struggled to maintain idle, the revs dropping and then rising. It stalled a few times, but always restarted. The problem was intermittent and has not returned, but I consider it a priority to look at and address before the trip. The air temps are much colder now, which might be contributing to the problem going (mostly) away.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179