Overland Journal: G-Wagen

Scott Brady

Founder
It is Stephanie's car, and she likes it. I really enjoy it for what it is too. This is just not the right car for a long trip out of country. I also have no intention of selling it. If the b-pillar rust and door ding wasn't there, I would likely just leave it be on the paint side.

If I were to own a G for me, it would be just like Steve Smith's- a perfect G-Klass IMO.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Nice G Scott, it sure is a neat truck eh. Glad you're enjoying it. If only more G-Wagen owners in this country knew what they had eh.

I've always told my students, in a panic situation, you still need to somehow refrain from sharp driver inputs. The best drivers are able to stay calm in these situations enough to react, but do so with a fluid style...

Spot on... It's funny, I was teaching my GF how to drive in the snow (or just drive well really) and I always repeat my mantra: Small inputs to the cars controls are always better. brakes, Gas steering, whatever, SMALL INPUTS... I'm not a 'professional" driver, but I've had ALOT of track time adn I'd say I'm in the small percentage of people in the states that are "very good" drivers and this is what I've ALWAYS been taught. Small inputs keep you on the road. It's never let me down yet eh ;) I also am one of those "cool under pressure" folks (kinda have to be in my line) and I think it makes me a far better driver then people who are agitated adn nervous... Take a deep breath folks, and focus on the task at hand eh. You can't get to step B without completeing step A, at least not in my world. Or better yet: What good is it to rush around and not finish ONE thing just so you can start 20 other things???

Cheers

Dave

stevegsmith

Observer
It is Stephanie's car, and she likes it. I really enjoy it for what it is too. This is just not the right car for a long trip out of country. I also have no intention of selling it. If the b-pillar rust and door ding wasn't there, I would likely just leave it be on the paint side.

If I were to own a G for me, it would be just like Steve Smith's- a perfect G-Klass IMO.

Ah shucks Scott, I'm blushin. :eek:
I know you're talkin about the truck but I can't help embracing the compliment.

Dude, I realize this is probably pointless but Stephanie should know that silver is the most common G color known to man and womankind and I know Stephanie is not a common woman. I also realize you didn't ask for advice or comments but Zimm makes a couple good points about retaining the color and/or moving on. If $5K covers wrapping the paint work to the interior and door sills, I'd say that's a steal if the job is done right (I stripped mine myself including glass and it still cost me almost that in just the paint work. I had to put it all back together myself after the fact). G's are much cheaper these days (amazing since they're still practically coach-built). You may want to keep this one stock and look for a silver G down the road. A lighter interior also wouldn't hurt in your climate.

Hey, Serpe would probably consider selling you his. Food for thought yo.

p.s. Ignore everything I just said if Stephanie is a diehard Silver Bullet drinker.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor

But there is always the non-white option available:

4045374.jpg

Come and visit us at the Overland Expo in Tucson, April 16 -18, 2010

and check out, sit in & touch this awesome adventure wagen :)

stevegsmith

Observer
But there is always the non-white option available:

4045374.jpg

Come and visit us at the Overland Expo in Tucson, April 16 -18, 2010

and check out, sit in & touch this awesome adventure wagen :)

Karl, I love what you did with your new Isuzu! Looks a little like a G. :safari-rig:

antisoshal

Can someone detail to me the legal Diesel versions of the Gwagon in the states? I'm planning to buy/build a diesel off road vehicle, and as I understand it some of these are legal here already. You cant beat the durability and NOT having to do a questionable engine swap makes things WAY easier. My only limitations from the wife is anything I get has to have airbags, and it appears the Gwagon adopted those a lot earlier than others.

otiswesty

Regular guy

I love Steve's truck, it reminds me of my old 300GD which was also white. Mine had the tropical roof and is now with a new owner in Bend, Oregon. The main drawback of the 300GD is the lack of power. To go from the stock 29.5" wheel to a 31" is a significant drop in available power, 33" is like learning to crawl, unless of course you elect to do the necessary R&P change.

Unfortunately you are left with a diesel G that moves a little better but has long stopping distances. Perhaps there is a cure for that as well.

All modifications come with compromises as we well know.

The G500 can be modified more easily due to the depth of reserves available both in braking and power. A switch to 33" tires from 30.5" stock is not really noticed. Braking is also unaffected and power remains adequate. Many 300GE and G320 owners look to R&P changes after going up in tire size. Ask "Fernweh." As for the Brabus G36, I have test driven one prior to buying my G500, but do not have much knowledge of them outside of that brief ride and reading about some wiring harness issues.

The '02-'03 G500 have been much maligned due to some quality issues that are primarily related to non essential items, but these have been well sorted. Service and parts are more readily available than for a grey market vehicles like a 300 GD or a G320 with the 3.6 motor upgrade as previously mentioned.
The 300GD mechanical simplicity is tempting, I was once a diehard, but for mountainous or hilly road driving it is not at all practical and the fuel economy is not much better than a G500. I averaged 15.4 MPG on a 200 mile mellow weekend trip to the Oregon coast a few days ago. I averaged 17-18 MPG in my 300GD.

While the 300GD is a great hobby car like an old LR or TLC, the G500 combines the best of both worlds - modern automotive technology with Mercedes Gelandewagen capabilities. The G320/36 is a great car, somewhat unusual, and is nice to see in the OJ features, but putting 5K into it that you will never see back would be pound foolish IMO.

Attachments

• DV1.JPG
    DV1.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 267
  • DV2.JPG
    DV2.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 370
  • roofspare.jpg
    roofspare.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 348
  • G.jpg
    G.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 178

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
These things are kindof growing on me Scott...and I'm getting pressure from Amanda.

See ya' after Mongolia!

:ylsmoke:

-H-

BeachBum

Observer
I'm actually going to look at an '88 300GD this evening. Any obvios things I should look for problems wise. I've been a LR person for as long as I remember but have always wanted a G. Planning on using it for light wheeling and camping here in Spain and Morocco. (surf trips) I've been looking at everything from Defenders, which I've had in the states. To Land Cruisers and even a couple of Patrols. I just can't get the G bug out of my head. And I could, in theory, ship it back to the states in a couple of years also.

I'd plan on keeping the truck basically stock except for maybe a winch down the line and a Maggiolina in the roof. A/C isn't an issue as it will spend most of the time in the north coast of Spain and Portugal.

Check out the link, it's located 10 minutes walk from our flat here in Madrid.

http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx?id=b3whhu1icsa3

Thanks for any input in advance,

Paul

otiswesty

Regular guy
That's a nice looking 300GD. If you are going to have riders in the back seat, a set of rear sliding windows would make a big difference, otherwise it is a bit claustrophobic or stuffy to ride back there. Being a Spanish car, it appears to have no rust which is hard to find in Europe on a 460 series G-class. Despite my previous critical digression on the diesel Gwagen, they are nice cars, just get up to speed slowly. A short wheel base would be better as it is a lighter vehicle, a cabrio even more so.

As for the vehicle in the ad, the odometer is only 5 digit so I would assume that you can put a 1 or 2 in front of the mileage. High mileage 460's can need a front axle service which can be expensive. So check that out as well as looking for blowby on the motor. Those would be the biggest issues I can think of. Make sure the car doesn't show evidence of a repaint, or rust could be lurking.

The late model 460's are the nicest, interior fully lined with rubber topped padding, more power accessories like locks, windows and heated seats. If I were to look for a 460 again, it would be a 1988-1990 300GD cabrio, but the SWB you are thinking of appears to be a nice candidate as well.

BeachBum

Observer
I would love one of the Cabrios but for me it would make it almost impossible to haul surfboards and camping gear. Not to mention the weather in Galicia, it rains more than in England I think. I did find a nice looking obvious repaint.

http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx?id=lhv2ecuoeeyi

Here is a link to the list of for sale trucks on this page.

http://www.autoscout24.eu/List.aspx...sults=20&ustate=N,U&um=True&sort=price&zipc=E

I have no idea why you would put a 3k winch on the front of that truck.

I spoke with the owner of the white '88 and it is in fact a 250GD, it was not able to be show since that model was not in the system. The guy had also owned it since '96 and it has been mainly a vacation house car just outside of Madrid. Supposedly all original also.

What would you expect for mpg? He is guessing around 10lt/100km or around 25mpg. Possible? Cruising speed? Normal on the highways here is around 130kph. I don't need speed, I just don't want to get run over by the ruck drivers.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

I have a G290 and are getting 10-11L / 100km. Basicly the same engine as the G250, just tuned for slightly lower rpm.
Your cruising speed could be about 100-110 km/hr, But keep in mind that best economy is 10/100 at 90km/hr and when you go to 120 km/hr it will increase to 15lt/100km.
A geländewagen is not built for speed, aerodynamics was not high on the list in mid seventies when it was designed :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan