Overland Journal: G-Wagen

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, how do wraps fare in the hot AZ sun?

This wrap is of medium quality (installation), but with a good 3M wrap. In white, I suspect the wrap will do well, but it has only been in the AZ sun for a week. I see a wrap as a good mid-term solution. I will likely do a complete respray in white if the wrap starts coming apart.

toddz69

Explorer
Scott:

It appears that your wagon is the model for the new Viking winch on their website and elsewhere?

Todd Z.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Ain't no school like the old school

True old school is a 460 series with those amazing hydraulic locker pull knobs. The older 463 compared to the newer is more subtle. All are pretty capable as is. Price, preference, and emotion are the main drivers so to speak.

trump

Adventurist
As you might guess, I love the color selection, Scott. Would love to see your G-Wagen and my Tacoma side-by-side.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Ain't no school like the old school

True old school is a 460 series with those amazing hydraulic locker pull knobs. The older 463 compared to the newer is more subtle. All are pretty capable as is. Price, preference, and emotion are the main drivers so to speak.

i bought a set to replace the dash nanny, amplifiers, and all crap in a 463. im considering where to put them since the 463 tcase seems to sit where the diff masters sit in a 460.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
The big grills on the lower section of the bumper are for the intercoolers for the turbos, and the lens is for the Mercedes DISTRONIC Plus cruise control (if you watch BBC's Top Gear, it's the same system from the S Class that Jeremy Clarkson tested where the car slows itself under cruise control - and will even stop itself depending on the distance to the vehicle in front of it).
t
Actually it's likely part of Merc. new forward facing night vision/object alert system as it wouldn't need a lens hat large for a radar/laser based cruise system. Audi BMW and Merc all offer different version of these systems some with HUD's to display "paint over" bright color identification of living creatures in front of the car in the dark. You don;t even see the laser/radar emitters/lenses they're so small, although the laser may be housed in the perif. of that lens. Sure plays hell with my Valentine One now days, It's either a cop or a soccer mom speeding out of a school zone...

miolnir

Damn! Can't understand why anyone would buy a 2012.

I drive a 2003 currently, and honestly I like the interior of the 90's era 463's better. Maybe because they are more like the PUR models, more basic not as many things fully electronic and computer controlled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears