Overland Journal Hires New Graphic Designer: Chazz Layne

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Overland Journal Hires New Graphic Designer: Chazz Layne

Adventurous Designer Joins Rapidly Growing Publication.

Prescott, AZ, 2010-6-01 — Chazz Layne, Designer, Photographer, and Adventurer, has joined the growing Overland Journal team.

Chazz blames his eclectic youth for where he finds himself today. “I was the only child of two recovering hippies, so I grew up traveling. We may not have had a VW bus with flowered stickers, but the spirit was there.”

That free spirit has carried Chazz through 12 years as a professional designer, first as team-lead for a large company, and eventually running his own agency.

“Those early days of exploring the Appalachian Mountains, swimming in the Gulf, or just wandering through the cities of the West set the tone for me. When I eventually bought my own 4x4 and discovered the isolation and beauty of the Southwest Deserts I realized I needed to find a way to combine my passions of design and Overland Travel.”

“Overland Journal has been a source of inspiration for me from the first issue. Both as a traveler and a designer. I know everyone says it, but joining the Journal really is a dream job for me”
said Layne.

And according to Overland Journal President Stephanie Brady, the feeling is mutual. “We've been watching Chazz' work for a long time now. He's worked in the past for our sister company, the Expedition Portal, and we were all impressed, so when this role opened up we immediately knew Chazz was the right guy for the job.”

Chazz will be based in the Journal's Prescott offices, and when he isn't there chances are you can find him tinkering with his Land Rover, or driving it across the desert together with his wife of 11 years, Danielle.

ABOUT OVERLAND JOURNAL

Started in 2007, Overland Journal is an archive quality, journal format publication dedicated to expedition travel and exploration in North America and around the world. Published five times per year with a circulation of 10,000 copies and an international audience, Overland Journal features 128 pages of expedition vehicles, travel stories, equipment reviews, conservation and industry news and breathtaking photography. Overland Journal is setting new standards in adventure travel journalism.

Learn more about Overland Journal

Contact Ray Hyland, Director of PR and Marketing, at (928) 777-8567 or ray@overlandjournal.com for more information.

haven

Expedition Leader
Outgoing graphic designer Jacob Lichner deserves much credit for Overland Journal's success. His elegant, understated layouts stand in sharp contrast to other magazines' layouts, particularly the auto magazines. He leaves big shoes to fill.

Chazz was involved in the change of layout for ExPo. Given people's comments, Chazz must have thought he strapped on to ride a Grand National Rodeo bull. But he hung in there, and most people seem OK with the layout today.

This announcement makes me hopeful that we'll see an online version of Overland Journal sooner, rather than later.

hmfigueroa

Well done!

It is very nice getting a job doing what you love.

Congratulations to Chazz and Overland Journal both are getting something good!

Scott Brady

Founder
Outgoing graphic designer Jacob Lichner deserves much credit for Overland Journal's success. His elegant, understated layouts stand in sharp contrast to other magazines' layouts, particularly the auto magazines. He leaves big shoes to fill.

This announcement makes me hopeful that we'll see an online version of Overland Journal sooner, rather than later.

Chip,

Jacob is/was our photo editor and has designed all of our Gear covers. The designer of all of those beautiful layouts is my equally beautiful wife, Stephanie. She has assumed more responsibility as the Journal's President and will still contribute to designing the major travel features. Chazz's previous work stood out in its clean and simple design - he will be a wonderful compliment to the publication.

We are very excited to have Chazz involved.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Thanks guys! Its been an interesting couple of weeks - lots of new things to learn, lots of old stuff to remember, and never a dull moment. Scott wasn't kidding when he told me I'd be "wearing many hats" (this is a good thing). I'm very glad I kept all of my IT tools...

They're making me use the Mac - how do I right-click on this thing, and where are all the programs hiding? :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears