Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

4wpjeep

Best show on tv , some people just are to serious and don't have a sense of humor

Sent from my jeep while climbing a tree

RBA

Adventurer
I agree, its an entertainment show not Consumer Reports.

I love Top Gear (UK) and hated the US version the first season, but the guys have gotten better (this last show was not one of their best) and the format has improved.

Some guys act as if they just figured out its staged and have to proclaim it...of course its staged, the whole thing is written out and scripted for the most part except for some ad-libs. So is the UK version, this is entertainment, not news, not genuine reviews. Still a good show.

Viggen

Just here...
Best show on tv , some people just are to serious and don't have a sense of humor

Sent from my jeep while climbing a tree

Best show on TV? Seriously?

They rip EVERYTHING off of the UK version and are really good at doing nothing but breaking things. It is a joke. The "contests" are won by Tanner. ALL OF THE TIME. There are better car centric shows on television than this joke.

I would have been pissed if I had to loan my project vehicle to these jokers and watched them do this. I know that you do not own it and it is on loan to you but still, I would have been there busting skulls. The BFG no terrains were the biggest handicap for Rut and the FJC.

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
Tanner lost, agree on the tires.

That is because there was no 'you get to drive this _________ which is the fastest, coolest, awesomest car since cars first cared" reward for finishing first. Everyone, even Captain No Sense of Direction May, has a chance to win and has been rewarded with a drive in the fastest version of the Veyron (just one instance). The exception being last episode where they needed a second person to win for it to be head to head (and, why do you think that it was Rut vs. Tanner?).

I do watch it but it is FAR from the best thing on TV. It is not even the best car show on television.

AFSOC

Explorer
I would have been pissed if I had to loan my project vehicle to these jokers and watched them do this.

Who is the party that should be pissed? Overland Journal...they got plenty of exposure beyond their target/core readership by Tanner calling the LR4 the "Overland Journal edition" rather than more accurately stating that it's a one-off project vehicle (well played Scott :ylsmoke:). Not Land Rover USA, this episode just informed a percentage of people that Land Rover still imports autos capable of leaving the gated community. I contend Land Rover Las Vegas had the most skin in the game yet got the least tangible return, if they're not pissed nobody else has any claim to be. After all, nobody 'had' to loan their vehicle for this project, they were more than willing.

Yes, they're clowns. The BBC version are clowns too. Rip-off, yes...but the original rips format elements and studio configuration from RTM, BBC and other European television programing. It's just TV. Smoke and mirrors, they themselves would categorize their content as entertainment rather than objective automotive journalism. Let's lighten up on Top Gear and watch it or don't watch it based on what it is.

Last edited:

nick325i

Adventurer
I agree with the last comment. Top Gear is one of my favorite shows (UK more than US) but I try to take it for what it is, just a scripted entertaining TV show.

I was impressed with all the trucks, especially the FJ. I was surprised with the brute but in an opposite way, with 38's and lockers it should be unstoppable but it also had the lowest skill driver. I wasn't surprised with the LR4 because I've taken mine through a lot of similar terrain. It was nice to see an LR4 on a national stage showing what it can do since most people don't believe me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle