Overland Medical Mission Trip

rural

Observer
Hello All,

I am new to ExPo, but not to the outdoors. I am currently in medical school in the SouthEastern United States. I am very much looking to get involved in rural overland medical care and health education to all people. If anyone knows of any set-up like this going on now PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

My dream would be to do a trek through rural appalachias all the way to south america (of course in stints/pieces since i am in school). If someone or some village needed help along the way, we would be conveniently passing through. I guess what I mean is I would not push healthcare on anyone, but rather ask if they would like to receive it.

Please point me in the right direction (people, org, books, past posts, etc)

AND mod's if i posted in the wrong place, please redirect

rural

Observer
Thanks for the advice.

@preacherman - dont look now, but notice your post count, you may wanna change it. But, seriously. Thanks for the heads up. I am going to read your posts during my study breaks. I do not think my "alley" will be wells and infastructure, but more so health screenings...

@suntzunephew - gotcha. i read up on them a little. I am going to ask around my school to see if we have any such offerings or if I could go there for a class. Thanks.

Anyone else know of planned trips I could tag-a-long on?
trip reports?
other organizations you have had personal experience with?

I am currently looking into Muskoka Foundation. Any thoughts?

rural

Observer
*AWESOME UPDATE*
My school has offered to let me do an OVERLAND adventure for CLASS CREDIT. So, I will be trying to get the finances lined up and also adventures planned.

I need to get some details worked out? Where to go and with whom? And, what will I be learning. I suppose Wilderness Medicine, Rural Healthcare Intensive Immersion, and Transportation/Triage?

So, guys, i am begging for your input. please post more organizations or vilalges.

I contacted the Muskoka Foundation a couple days ago and still have not heard back. If anyone has connections, please pass my name along.

Thanks
Tyler Parris

edit : I will be using my daily driver a 2008 jeep 4dr rubicon, i have no overland specific equipment as of yet, but will be putting my list together soon.

Last edited:

HopLite

I am waiting on my admission letter for med school. I, too, am deeply motivated to partake and eventually lead rural medical missions. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I would like to suggest:
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
http://www.w-c-n.org/ (I strongly suggest WCN based upon personal experience, their high worldwide rating, and their propensity for giving the donations to those in need vs 'administrative' costs)

I currently have an FJ60 somewhat overland outfitted. My dream is a Unimog Doka with a small clinic in the back.

HopLite

Any updates?

In speaking with some close friends who have traveled extensively on misisons trips, I have learned of another organization: Mercy Ship. Though technically not overland, I was told they also have vehicle-based clinics that are trucked into impoverished rural regions as well as ship-based clinics that sail into various ports as floating hospitals. In clicking around on their site, I could not confirm the vehicle-based clinics. This is seems to be an international outreach, not domestic.

http://www.mercyships.org/content/home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears