Overland Navigator

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I emailed Craig and he responded quickly (great service with all of my questions), but I was just curious if anyone else had the same question/request.

I realized after using it the first time, that I couldn't find the "track up" option. I emailed Craig in case I was just missing the command/feature. Apparently I was not. Craig replied that it was not currently available and is something he's looking at adding in a future version.

My question: Am I the only one that wants that option? While I haven't read every post in this section, during my scan I did not see that "problem" mentioned.

The lack of "track up" keeps this from being (IMHO) a really great navigation system. I'm just really surprised that it wasn't/isn't an option (it's a fairly old option on every other GPS I have owned/used). I would have thought that would be an option that everyone would insist on. I just have a hard time while driving/navigating, rotating the map (in my head) to what's in front of me.

Not bagging on Craig, just curious if I am the only one.

Jack

Shawn686

Observer
Me too.... come on Craig, there are quite a few guys north of the boarder who are wanting to use your SW........ please :ylsmoke:

+ 1,000,000

I have been waiting for Canada maps since I found out about overland navigator. Every time I get an e-mail notification about a new post I hurry over to this thread. In hopes it is about the Canada maps. But no luck :(

Shawn

Akecj7

Observer
Craig,

Great product, I have one suggestion. Being able to change the color of the tracks so if you are exploring one area over the course of a few days you will be able to tell the different days tracks easier then the current day is red and every older track is blue. Thanks again for a great product.

cactusjk

Explorer
I have Overland Navigator and love it. I hate my netbook and love my iPad. I am torn on shifting over to the iPad and losing Overland Nav. The iPad is just a better overall piece of hardware and fits better in my FJ with a touch interface. I am sure that I am not alone.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I have Overland Navigator and love it. I hate my netbook and love my iPad. I am torn on shifting over to the iPad and losing Overland Nav. The iPad is just a better overall piece of hardware and fits better in my FJ with a touch interface. I am sure that I am not alone.
Ditto (sort of)... I have my netbook with Nat Geo hi res topo's of California mounted in my rig. I've been hoping for Overland Navigator for iPad also and for a while now but I recall him saying he can't really justify moving it over based on the number of requests so right now it's a no-go on iPad.

Shawn686

Observer
If Canada ever gets maps, the ability to have to map facing the direction of travel and not just north up is something I would like as well. Locrwln is that what track up is? I have never heard it called that.

Shawn

locrwln

Expedition Leader
If Canada ever gets maps, the ability to have to map facing the direction of travel and not just north up is something I would like as well. Locrwln is that what track up is? I have never heard it called that.

Shawn

Yep, map facing the direction of travel instead of "north" up all the time. Sorry about the terminology, but that is what my Garmin's have called it and when a buddy and I were talking about finding the perfect offroad/exploring GPS system, that is one of the things we talked about being mandatory.

I just assumed that ON would have it as I said, it has been an option on every other GPS system I have used or been around (for about 15 years) that is why I was surprised that ON didn't have that option in the software. Great maps and integration, but that is one glaring omission (IMHO).

Jack

JPK

Explorer
You know the location icon gives direction of travel when the vehicle is moving, right? It turns from a dot, displated when you are at rest, and becomes an arrow.

I like North Up. When you look at a paper map it's always North Up.

One problem with direction of travel orientation is that the GPS won't be keeping up with your turns. The time delay between screen up dates may be quick and make the delay immaterial or it may be slower and make it a pita. Update speed may be setable in your GPS, or not. A 2 second update rate is fine, but too much longer gets to be a pita.

Another issue with the driction of travel orientation is that the machine has no f'in idea of which direction your vehicle is pointing if you're not moving.

Since North is a wold wide constant it really does make the most sense. With only a bit of practice you can look at a North Up map or screen and "integrate" in your mind's eye the map or GPS screen display and your direction of travel. It helps those with less experience to have a bigger display, btw.

It's funny, but it seems that most older guys who grew up relying on paper maps and charts like North Up orientation and most younger guys who didn't like direction of travel orientation.

The supposedly forthcoming software update may include direction of travel orientation, but it will also include a location icon on a black screen for areas outside of purchased charts, which will be even more useful.

Shawn686

Observer
When you look at a paper map it's always North Up.

Just because the map is always printed north up doesn't mean you can't hold it any other way. I am in the military and have done more than my fair share of map and compass work. If I am facing south, I am holding my map with north pointing down. There is no use in looking at what is behind you while trying to figure out where to go.

One problem with direction of travel orientation is that the GPS won't be keeping up with your turns.

My garmin 60csx is able to do it fine. I am fairly certain any gps made for vehicle use will be able to handle the task. The software is another issue though, on which I don't know about.

Another issue with the direction of travel orientation is that the machine has no f'in idea of which direction your vehicle is pointing if you're not moving.

Again my 60 csx has no problem with this. Chances are the vehicle will still be pointing in the same direct as when it stopped. So the icon and map orientation would stay as it was when you stopped. If you do change the direction while stopped it would be updated as soon as you started moving again, so it is a non-issue.

Since North is a wold wide constant it really does make the most sense. With only a bit of practice you can look at a North Up map or screen and "integrate" in your mind's eye the map or GPS screen display and your direction of travel. It helps those with less experience to have a bigger display, btw.

I think that most can orient a map and integrate it in our minds eye, but the point is that doing that is adding on more distraction while driving. With a map that is direction of travel up it is much easier to take a quick glance and get back to driving. We do a lot of patrolling with ATVs that have gps mounted to the handle bars. I have had no issues with any of the things you described while using a direction of travel up gps.

I think it would be a valuable and useful update. They could also make it optional via the settings menu for people that do not want to use it.

Shawn

JPK

Explorer
The difference is that you have to turn the map to see what's in front of you. I don't, and all (or almost all?) of the fellows who I know who did lots of navigation when they were younger don't need to turn the map. A glance at a compass, and even the four or eight point - N,E,S,W or N,NE,E...- in car compasses are enough and they give direction the vehicle is pointing, or the sun, stars or the icon and you are looking at the map at what is ahead. And really, if you're half awake, you already know which direction you're traveling since you take in the sun's position, the stars, prevailing wind, and those other clues that tell you which direction you're heading before you even think about it.

I find it very irritating looking at a cut of a map or chart, like a folded map or zoomed in screen, that doesn't show a compass rose. Unless the map is oriented North Up.

Also, I find it easier to recall the map as it is oriented North Up and then confirm my position through references to the landscape, without having to look at the map. Clicking off landscape "waypoints" as you run along.

For quite some time I shared a really good GPS/chart plotter with a young guy. When he was at the wheel he always had the machine set to Heading Up. The constantly rotating background chart was a pita that I truly disliked. Nothing has changed, still dislike it. As soon as I took the wheel I'd switch to North Up. He was always a bit disoriented until he figured out that the machine was displaying North Up.

As an option, that would be the only way to go.

I do think the icon on a black screen when you're out of the map area is the more useful upgrade. Still have lat/lon readings, still have track capability. That and a Delorme and you could find anywhere. Of course having the map software installed would be better by far, but the software maps only go so far and until you buy the new area...

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Choices are good. I've been using USGS topo, USFS, BLM, et al paper maps since my first backpack trip in 1974. I think I know how to use a map thank you very much.

But damn it I prefer track up for in rig nav'ing from my GPS...no apologies needed or implied.

Choices ARE good...then we don't have to convince others that our way is the only way ;)

JPK

Explorer
I never said North Up is the ONLY way, only implied that if the choice is between North Up and Heading Up, with no option, that North Up was the logical choice.

As I mentioned, I shared duties with a fellow who prefferred Heading Up, he did fine of course. I did always get a kick out of his befuddlement everytime we switched. He never did anticipate a North Up screen when he took the wheel from me.

I can tell you, and you already know this, that every map or chart on every wall, at every nav station, in every planning or sit rep room is oriented North Up. It is the worldwide default.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I never said North Up is the ONLY way, only implied that if the choice is between North Up and Heading Up, with no option, that North Up was the logical choice.

As I mentioned, I shared duties with a fellow who prefferred Heading Up, he did fine of course. I did always get a kick out of his befuddlement everytime we switched. He never did anticipate a North Up screen when he took the wheel from me.

I can tell you, and you already know this, that every map or chart on every wall, at every nav station, in every planning or sit rep room is oriented North Up. It is the worldwide default.

I am just really, really surprised that a system that was designed in the last few years doesn't have the option of "track up." I want that option and to me for ON to be the navigation system is should/could be, it needs a track up option.

I'm glad North Up works for you, but for me, it doesn't, guess I'm just not smart enough.:bowdown:

While I agree with "north up" is the standard by which a map on a wall is displayed, it does me no good on the trail.

North up "is the only way".

Huh???

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior