Overland Route - Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail

ramblinChet

Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail

by Chet Szymecki​

The Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail is a 625 to 1,055 mile adventure that can last from six to twelve days depending upon how often you stop to explore other sites along the way. Approximately 80% of the time is spent on dirt roads whereas the remaining 20% is spent mostly on two-lane paved roads. The route is designed to be driven in either direction although it seems more common to begin in the east and end in the west. Since I was approaching from the west I began in Erie, Pennsylvania, and ran the route west to east without any problems. The primary route is 625 miles although there are three optional loops: Alleghany National Forest loop (169 miles), Grand Canyon loop (101 miles), an Buckhorn loop (160 miles).

Here is a map of the 1,055 mile track as published by Adventure Rider in this article. A link to the GPX file can be found here on the ADV Catskills page. Click "PA-Donated" on the upper tab, and then "AnfAdvenutreLoop", "BuckhornLoop", and "GrandCanyonLoop", on the lower tab. Then, click "Download Tracks" in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

CPAT 01.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

This week I began the Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail (623 mi) which is an estimated 1,053 miles long when you include the three optional loops: Allegheny National Forest (169 mi), Grand Canyon (101 mi), and Buckhorn (160). Other adventurers have estimated the trail at 80% off-road and 20% on although I believe a more accurate measure would be time off-road and on. Consider the fact that speeds off-road are 25-30 mph at best and 3-5 mph at worst with the average being 10-20 mph whereas on-road varies from 35-55 mph.

My adventure began in Erie, Pennsylvania, on the sandy beaches of Presque Isle State Park.
CPAT 01 alt.jpg

The initial miles of the trip were a mix of paved and dirt farm roads traveling though Waterford, Pennsylvania, on down to the Titusville and Oil City areas. Here is a beautiful old bridge in Oil Creek State Park. Can you guess why the park is named as such?
CPAT 02.jpg

The park includes Drake Well, which became the first commercial oil well in these Unites Stated when oil was struck in 1859. We can all thank oil, coal, and other fossil fuels for the amazing lives we live today. I doubt that many of us can touch a single object nearby that was not mined, transported, manufactured, etc. without the use of fossil fuels. The museum was closed during my visit so make sure to check the hours if you are in the area.
CPAT 03.jpg

Turning east I dove into the 514,029 acres of the Allegheny National Forest and began the optional Allegheny Loop. As I approached Warren, Pennsylvania, a concerned family member advised me that a murder suspect had escaped a nearby jail and most likely would be in the nearby Allegheny National Forest since he was a former member of the military with survival training. The truth is we all encounter violent felons each day so we should all be prepared to deal with the unexpected. I slept especially well that night near Warren.
CPAT 04.jpg

While viewing my map of the forest I noticed a large perfectly round body of water so of course I decided to investigate. What I found was the Seneca Pumped Storage Generating Station which is adjacent to Kinzua Dam. Essentially, a pumped storage station is like a large battery for storing energy - here is a great video by Practical Engineering.
CPAT 05.jpg

Here is the Allegheny River upstream from the dam as viewed from Jake's Rocks. The entire area of north-west Pennsylvania is beautiful and has so much to see and do. If you are into outdoors adventure and exploration this area is a hidden gem.
CPAT 06.jpg

Here is a shot of my cockpit and more importantly, Gaia GPS running on my factory display. I see many overland vehicles with electronic gear sticking out from all over the place and maybe that works for others but I like to keep my ride neat and orderly. A handheld GMRS is stored in my center console and my nav-aid is displayed on my dash. It's simple, and it works.
CPAT 07.jpg

Kinzua Dam is a monster! Just standing nearby and listening to the energy and feeling the wind is very cool.
CPAT 08.jpg

The beautiful Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trails takes you right through the middle of the Pennsylvania Wilds which is one of the largest expanses of green between NYC and Chicago. There is so much to see and do here and even though I am just passing through, I will return, again and again...
CPAT 09.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Here are a few short videos I shot during my Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail.

The first is of a dual sport water crossing Babb Creek near Colton Point State Park. I hung out with the guys and shared trail stories for a bit after they crossed.

Here is my AEV Prospector and Four Wheel Camper crossing the same crick.

And an alternate shot of the same - the ending is my favorite.

Use coordinates 41.573025, -77.335399 if navigating by GPS.

Last edited:

ramblinChet

While pushing east on the Cross PA Adventure Trail just outside the Allegheny National Forest the trail began to parallel Tionesta Creek. I noticed a spur dropping off the trail and dropping down to creek level so I decided to explore for just a bit. It was a steep drop but once I was at the bottom it was amazing how lush and overgrown the entire area was with plants. Everything was thick, heavy, and healthy - it was like a mini-jungle down in this remote area.
CPAT 10.jpg

Next up was a stop to the Kinzua Bridge State Park to finally observe the Kinzua Viaduct which was destroyed by a tornado just a few decades ago. When it was completed in 1882, it was the longest (2,053') and tallest (301') railroad viaduct in the world and considered by many to be the "eighth wonder of the world." Keep in mind it took only 94 days to build. It is really fun to walk on on the remaining section of bridge and look down at the destruction. No matter what man creates - nature seeks to destroy and break down to the simplest of elements.
CPAT 11.jpg

The next day I stopped into the beautiful small town of Smethport, Pennsylvania, for lunch and a quick tour. One thing is for sure - many of the small towns in the northern section of Pennsylvania remind me of what life was like a half-century ago. Climbing back into the mountains of the Allegheny Plateau was wonderful even following a brief, but heavy, rain storm.
CPAT 12.jpg

This was along the north-west perimeter road of Hammersley Wild Area in the Susquehannock State Forest. The forest service road was nice in many areas but there were signs of ongoing work. Most of the trail had a good bed of gravel whereas some areas were dirt with a mixture of mud and slick clay. Despite all of that, my BF Goodrich KO2 all-terrain tires did not disappoint. After three decades of running MTs on all of my 4x4 and adventure vehicles I am really happy I finally made the switch.
CPAT 13.jpg

In a previous post I had mentioned that I was planning to complete all three optional loops along the trail. This was the beginning of the second loop that encircled the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon which is in the Tioga State Forest. Are you beginning to sense the Pennsylvania has an abundance of state forests? If so, you are correct - they have twenty as of right now. This picture was taken from an overlook in Colton State Park on the west rim of Pine Creek Gorge. You can also view the PA Grand Canyon from the east rim at Leonard Harrison State Park.
CPAT 14.jpg

Something very beautiful and special happened during my adventure. Late at night, I happened upon a section of the trail that appeared to be guarded by boulders intentionally placed there. Interestingly enough, there was just enough room for my full-size rig to squeeze through. It was pitch black, raining, and I now found myself on a very narrow and slightly overgrown shelf-road on the side of a steep valley. A few hundred meters later it all made sense, this section had been "closed" since a large area had been washed out. I had a decision to make, go for it or chicken out. I decided not to select either choice.

When I am on the trail I utilize a "three strikes you are out" rule. If I come to an area where I have a question on how to proceed I do my best to consider all available options as pragmatically as possible. This takes time which is a good thing - when I encounter a situation I generally slow the process down and resist rushing into another poor decision which only makes matters worse. I would slowly back up to a safe area and rest for the night. Strike on was the fact that I was alone. Strike two was the fact that I was in an unfamiliar area. Strike three was the fact that it was at night. Strike four was because it was raining. And strike five was because a large section of the trail was washed out. Do I need to push it to prove something to myself or anyone else. Nope, I am here to have fun.

The next morning I awoke and walked the next half-mile of trail. What a wreck! If I would have successfully cleared the first obstacle there were several more hiding in the dark just up the trail. It went from bad to worse and I was happy I decided to set my pride aside and sleep it off. While back in my camper eating breakfast I noticed the forest was dead silent. No wind, no birds or animals, nothing. Maybe they were all sleeping in late due to the storm. Then it happened...I listened to a tree being laid to rest.

In the midst of the silence I heard something I never had expected to hear - a single tree falling. There was no storm to blow it down, nor was there a man with a machine cutting it down. It came crashing down in the middle of a silent forest and with that one final gasp, gave everything it had left. For decades it had been a tall and strong tree, it provided so much to so many. Now it had fallen to the earth to be consumed. I took a moment to think about all of humanity and how we are only here for a very short amount of time. “For dust you are, and to dust you shall return” - Genesis 3:19
CPAT 15.jpg

Later that day I came upon a man training mini-horses for a mini-horse pulling contest. During my travels on the backroads of these United States I happen upon all sorts of interesting things - I never knew competitions like this existed but I will be looking to attend one in the future. Those are some tough little horses!
CPAT 16.jpg

Oh gosh, yet another stream crossing, lol. Do you know why I often stop to take a picture at a stream crossing? For one reason I think stream crossing are cool. It's kind of like being a kid and standing next to a mud puddle. Yep, I am going to do it even though it makes no sense to others - I am just being me; a grown man who plays like a youngster at times because it's fun. And I always enjoy jumping out into the cool water and walking around for a bit. Cool mountain water, slippery rocks, crayfish, etc.
CPAT 17.jpg

My gosh - there is so much to be had in Pennsylvania I suspect I could spend a year or more exploring the Commonwealth and still never see the majority of places. This picture was taken at World's End State Park which is in the Loyalsock State Forest. World's End and everything around it are supremely beautiful. Previously, I visited this same area along with nearby Eagles Mere, Pennsylvania. This is literally a romantic place where time has stood still...
CPAT 18.jpg

Here I am parked on the side of a country road, long hair blowing in the wind and partially obscuring my view. I don't really need to see what it going on though - I can hear and feel it. A storm is brewing and the trees are screaming - I can see the silvery underside of every single leaf since the wind blows so hard. The clouds are playing and celebrating - there is so much energy in the air. This is nature. This is where we were born and where we will return. This is where life has been and always will be.
CPAT 19.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

I have completed the Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail (623 mi) including all three additional loops: Allegheny National Forest (169), Grand Canyon (101), and Buckhorn (160). In total, it took me seven days and covered 1,123-miles of 4x4 trails, forest service roads, and country roads. My combined drive time was 47-hours and I averaged 12.8 mpg. This was a beautiful but demanding adventure since 90% of your time is spent on dirt or gravel roads in the forests and mountains. There is so much to do and see between Presque Isle State Park and the Damascus Forest, this could easily turn into a ten to thirty day adventure provided you have a good navigator and planner.

Many times we discuss the pros and cons of pop-up tents versus hard shell, trailers, etc. There have been so many times where I was just able to squeeze through a trail since my Four Wheel Camper provided just enough clearance. If I was spending less time in the forest and more on the open road or out west, maybe a hard shell with better insulation would be better. For right now, I enjoy my pop-up camper and not ever having to worry about backing up on a narrow trail with a trailer.
CPAT 20.jpg

Just another magnificent view in Loyalsock State Forest. Honestly, I could take ten times as many pictures and share them but it would be so much better for you to stand in the forest and feel the mountain air, listen to the leaves, and see this for real. Here is a list for you of the eight most scenic overlooks near Worlds End State Park, in Pennsylvania.
CPAT 21.jpg

While passing through north-eastern Pennsylvania I spent a day at the Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton. There was a full cutaway of a steam locomotive which finally helped me understand how a steam locomotive works. I understood the basics although there were some minor details I never took the time to fully understand.
CPAT 22.jpg

Here is an example of the largest steam locomotive ever manufactured - a Union Pacific "Big Boy" 4-8-8-4 number 4012. This locomotive is an absolute monster and here is a great video sharing additional details. I tried to take picture from many different angles but the damn thing was so big and long I was not able to photograph it well. If you enjoy mechanical monsters, this is a must see!
CPAT 23.jpg

Just another place I stopped and relaxed for a few hours. What has surprised me the past several months is that more women are approaching me when I stop and asking questions related to adventure and exploration. Over the years it seemed like mostly men would walk up but now there are more women. Like I have been telling men for decades, don't ask your girl what she wants to do over the weekend - make plans, tell her to pack her bags, don't share all the details with her, and go create some memories. If she pushes back just give her that look - women like to test men and are disappointed when guys give in so easily.
CPAT 24.jpg

During my travels I often enjoy stopping for a relaxing lunch at beautiful remote locations such as this. Full time travel is wonderful since I am never really in a rush so my schedule is very flexible. Being able to break away from a rigid work schedule, deadlines for projects, lunch at this time, vacation here, etc. has reduced my stress level to something so low I don't even recognize it. My belief is that our bodies were designed for short periods of stress but not long and never-ending as we have experienced for the past several hundred years. We must ask ourselves, what is the impact of stress in our own lives and can it be changed to improve our overall health?
CPAT 25.jpg

Near the end of my adventure I rode into Chetsville and since it was dinner time, stopped at Chet's Place to enjoy some pierogi prepared in butter and onions. Let me close by saying the folks there were some of the friendliest I have met. While walking in heads turned and I was immediately invited to join a table of others. When they asked my name and I replied Chet, the laughter and smiles never stopped. Adventure and exploration is so much fun because most all of it is unknown.
CPAT 26.jpg

Maybe this short film helps to diagnose our desire...

Last edited:

hidn45

Thank you for taking us along on this wonderful adventure. I've spent most of my life along the "Northern Tier" of PA, so I loved that you enjoyed our little slice of heaven. Let us know when you come through again, we'll show you around....

ramblinChet

You are all welcome. My goal is to spent this summer exploring New England during the summer and then spending time in Mid-Atlantic during the fall and early winter. Meeting up and learning more about your area sounds great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior