Overland Route - Laurel Highlands 200

ramblinChet

Laurel Highlands 200

by Chet Szymecki​

The Laurel Highlands 200 is a 200-250 mile adventure that can last from three to five days depending upon how often you stop to explore other sites along the way. Approximately 75% of the time is spent on dirt roads whereas the remaining 25% is spent mostly on two-lane paved roads. The route is designed to be driven clockwise beginning and ending in Murrysville, Pennsylvania, slightly east of Pittsburgh. Since I was approaching from the south I began in Normalville, Pennsylvania, and ran the route anti-clockwise without any problems. The majority of this adventure is a large loop around Latrobe, Pennsylvania. The route passes through historic Ligonier, Pennsylvania, and the southernmost section tightens up while passing through Roaring Run Natural Area, Seven Springs, and Laurel Hill State Park. Just south of the loop are other interesting places such as Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water and Kentuck Knob. As you may have guessed, besides the 250 mile loop there are many other fun activities in the Laurel Highlands area of Pennsylvania.

Here is a map of the 200 mile track as published by Roots Locker in this article. A link to the GPX file can be found here on the same page.

LH03.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

A recent overland trail I completed was the Laurel Highlands 200 which is located in south-west Pennsylvania with the northern section encircling Latrobe, PA. This is an absolutely beautiful time of the year to be in the forests of Pennsylvania!
100.jpg

Although most of the roads were easy to pass through there were sections that were on the tight side appearing somewhat overgrown and lightly used. It's actually nice to have sections which require you to slowly move through at 3-5 MPH for several miles balanced with smooth sections where you can easily travel 10-15 MPH for extended periods.
101.jpg

Here is a campsite I found in Forbes State Forest which I consider one of the most perfectly open and level campsite I have ever camped at. Well done PA-DCNR.
102.jpg

This is just one of the natural water slides in Ohiopyle State Park. It's actually much longer and while there I watched several adventurous children and adults enjoy this natural water slide.
103.jpg

While on the trail I came upon a section where a fallen log had been cut open enough for a motorcycle to pass through but not a vehicle. Maybe I am wrong but many of the dual-sport and adventure motorcycle riders I come across while traveling act rude and snobby. When I see riders approaching I always pull aside and leave plenty of room, smile and wave as they pass by without offering a gentlemanly smile, or nod of the head, or wave of the hand. When I came to this fallen tree I wondered why the person clearing didn't cut a bit more to clear that path for a vehicle.
104.jpg

No problem for me though - I pulled out my Silky BIGBOY 2000mm folding saw and went to work. Of course, it began to rain while I labored on my knees so I smiled and continued cutting. My buddy has convinced me that an electric saw is in my future and my stubborn self agrees. After cutting I deployed my AEV Full-Size Recovery Gear Kit and rigged up to pull the heavy section of log off parallel to the trail. It's always comforting to have the correct tools for the job.
105.jpg

Here is a typical forest service road along the Laurel Highlands 200. In total, it took me four days and covered 252-miles of 4x4 trails, forest service roads, and country roads. My combined drive time was 13-hours and I averaged 10.7 MPG. This was a beautiful trip and it was a great time of the year to explore here in Pennsylvania. Maybe one year I will return and complete the same route in the winter time for comparison.
106.jpg

Along the trail I came upon two road closures. It was easy enough to zoom out my map to identify a short go-around which frequently results in an additional 05-10 miles. If you are lucky, a go-around may take you into a nearby small town around lunch or dinner time. Remapping a route is part of the adventure so I always smile when I come upon an obstacle such as this.
107.jpg

This is Cucumber Falls at Ohiopyle State Park which is one of the most photographed waterfalls in Pennsylvania. Although this is not along the Laurel Highlands 200 route it is just a few miles away so if you are in the area make sure to stop by and enjoy.
108.jpg

The interesting things you find along the side of the road in Pennsylvania along this adventure route. I love to travel and explore and hope you are able to enjoy these trails in western Pennsylvania too!
109.jpg

Last edited:

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
Thanks for your post. I have been in the area a few times since we had family in Greensburg. This is a beautiful area. I have never wheeled it but have been in a rental car to Ligonier and the surrounding back roads. Is Ruthie’s Diner still there?

ramblinChet

Thanks for your post. I have been in the area a few times since we had family in Greensburg. This is a beautiful area. I have never wheeled it but have been in a rental car to Ligonier and the surrounding back roads. Is Ruthie’s Diner still there?

You are welcome and yes, Ruthie's is still there and maybe next time I will skip a meal in the forest and stop in for some of their fine food.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior