Overland Solar Tracking System

tencentlife

Impressive execution. I'm sure there's a market for it in the high-end RV sector, because even though someone can just put more fixed panels on, there is a limit on roof space, and we're already near the practical upper limit of PV cell efficiency, so no big gains are in the offing by that route. It's uncontroversial that tracking an array can net double the daily energy in winter and a third more in summer, that was well-established 30 years ago when I got into renewable power systems.

Some of the RV rigs being built these days have electrical loads comparable to a site-built home, with induction ranges and heat pumps being newly popular conveniences with enormous energy requirements. That's where I think you would find some ready buyers.

Some of these owners would just park in the sun and run AC all day. and some will travel in places there's no shade to be had anywhere, like the scene in your video. Your roof-mounted tracker would "shine" for those users.

roboteos

Innovation is always a good thing, and there is probably a market for it I’m sure. And I imagine you will sell them. And kudos for designing a product, and all that goes into that.

For me, or well-designed systems. Extra solar is added to compensate for the loss of being in the shade, or not at optimum angles. Something like 300w on my pop up camper. And have never run out of power for what I need. And then a 30-amp dc/dc for anytime I’m driving. Keeps the fridge cold year round even in the pnw. And I never have to touch it, no moving parts to maintain, lube or break.

However, everyone’s system is different, with varying loads, needs, and even the things like voltage drop in long wire runs. A system with 50amp/hr AGM, is not the same as a 400amp/hr lithium battery bank. With 600w/ solar.

That van for example, has a lot of wasted roof space. I am pretty sure you could get 600+ w/ of the flex panels on the same space.

But, it’s a cool system. And no one else competing for that niche. And a large part of the market is all about gadgets. Still beats moving them by hand. I look forward to seeing the product develop.

Thanks for your comments! FWIW, part of the benefit I see for this system and the way I use the van, is to actually free up space for gear storage. I used to have flat mounted panels that filled almost all the space between my 2 roof top fans to keep up with my energy demands, and now I have enough space to strap my surfboard and skis etc to the roof rack. (Some pics with new roof rack integration 😁)

IMG_2246.jpgIMG_2249.jpg

Impressive execution. I'm sure there's a market for it in the high-end RV sector, because even though someone can just put more fixed panels on, there is a limit on roof space, and we're already near the practical upper limit of PV cell efficiency, so no big gains are in the offing by that route. It's uncontroversial that tracking an array can net double the daily energy in winter and a third more in summer, that was well-established 30 years ago when I got into renewable power systems.

Some of the RV rigs being built these days have electrical loads comparable to a site-built home, with induction ranges and heat pumps being newly popular conveniences with enormous energy requirements. That's where I think you would find some ready buyers.

Some of these owners would just park in the sun and run AC all day. and some will travel in places there's no shade to be had anywhere, like the scene in your video. Your roof-mounted tracker would "shine" for those users.

Thanks for the compliments, really appreciate it! We had a great first show this last weekend, and had a ton of interesting conversations with van and RV owners who see the benefit just as you described. I know I see it as the ultimate no compromise solution, where it allows people to generate more energy with the space they have available, or take up less space to use their roof for other things. My opinion is irrelevant though... as I am clearly biased 😇.Appreciate your feedback!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior