Overland through Niger, Chad, Central African Republic

Xenobian

My first post on here after considerable time browsing and watching.... I am recently back after a long overland expedition (Toyota Landcruiser HZJ78) across West Africa, Niger and into Northern Chad, Central African Republic and ending at the port of Douala, Cameroon.

The main expedition focus was the Tibesti Mountains in Northern Chad, with 6 weeks dedicated for exploring the region intensively. We entered from N'guigmi in Niger to Bol, on the shores of Lake Chad. A few days to explore Lake Chad by pirogue was complicated considerably by police resistance, before eventually being given the permission for it. Many beautiful islands with timeless villages. A few days in Ndjamena (obtaining permits and supplies) were needed before the long drive north to the Tibsti an the Aouzou strip (border with Southern Libya). We crossed the large sand sea to the Lakes of Ounianga, before heading south (more sand sea) to Abeche, Zakouma National Park before exiting near Sarh to the Central African Republic.

Attachments

• ATROUN MONOLITH.jpg
    ATROUN MONOLITH.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 58
  • BOL.jpg
    BOL.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 59
  • BOL2.jpg
    BOL2.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 57
  • CAMELS TIBESTI.jpg
    CAMELS TIBESTI.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 56
  • CHAD CAMELS.jpg
    CHAD CAMELS.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 54
  • CHARI RIVER.jpg
    CHARI RIVER.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 56
  • COLOURED ROCKS NEAR BARDAI.jpg
    COLOURED ROCKS NEAR BARDAI.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 71
  • CROSSING THE DESERT.jpg
    CROSSING THE DESERT.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 75
  • LAKE CHAD ROAD.jpg
    LAKE CHAD ROAD.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 66
  • LAKE CHAD SHORE.jpg
    LAKE CHAD SHORE.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 48

Xenobian

A few more photos from Lake Chad and Northern Chad (Tibesti mountains)

Attachments

• BLUE MOSQUE.jpg
    BLUE MOSQUE.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DUNE.jpg
    DUNE.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DUNES OVER A WADI.jpg
    DUNES OVER A WADI.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 46
  • GATEWAY.jpg
    GATEWAY.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 47
  • GOURO.jpg
    GOURO.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 48
  • LAKE CHAD.jpg
    LAKE CHAD.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 47
  • MARTIAN LANDSCAPES.jpg
    MARTIAN LANDSCAPES.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 58
  • MIKSI MINE GOLD DIGGERS.jpg
    MIKSI MINE GOLD DIGGERS.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 59
  • NATURAL TUNNEL.jpg
    NATURAL TUNNEL.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 54
  • NER BARDAI.jpg
    NER BARDAI.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 46

Xenobian

A few of the many many tanks etc abandoned after the Chad-Libya Conflict of 1978-87 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chadian–Libyan_conflict). The conflict to follow became known as the "Toyota conflict" was it was mostly fought with Toyota pick ups....
TANKS.jpg

Gouro - A lonely outpost.
GOURO.jpg

Six weeks in the Tibesti was followed by two in Southern Chad. Here, the ruined city of Ouara, south of Abeche near the border with Sudan (Darfur region):
OUARA.jpg

On the way further south to Am Timan and Zakouma National Park
SPHINX VALLEY.jpg

Lions in Zakouma National Park, Southern Chad
ZAKOUMA LIONS.jpg

Giraffe in Zakouma NP.
ZAKOUMA GIRAFFE.jpg

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
A few of the many many tanks etc abandoned after the Chad-Libya Conflict of 1978-87 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chadian–Libyan_conflict). The conflict to follow became known as the "Toyota conflict" was it was mostly fought with Toyota pick ups....
View attachment 702705

OK, to be REALLY pedantic. It was the Toyota war because:

-- A Toyota at over 80 kmph will typically not explode an anti-vehicle mine, or it will be moving fast enough that the blast will be behind it.

-- At that speed, it is moving too fast for the turret of the Russian tanks used by the Libyans. This allows you to close and get behind the tank.

-- At less than 100 metres, a LAW will penetrate the armor. Way below US minimums, but if the blast doesn't get you, you can stop a tank.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Wow haven’t seen anyone posting/ talking about Tibesti in ages! this was my dream also in the 1990s to visit.

alanymarce

I congratulate you! Brings back memories of Algeria, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia... I've never made it into Chad or West Africa, so far, and honestly don't have the confidence to do so at this time.

Xenobian

OK, to be REALLY pedantic. It was the Toyota war because:

-- A Toyota at over 80 kmph will typically not explode an anti-vehicle mine, or it will be moving fast enough that the blast will be behind it.

-- At that speed, it is moving too fast for the turret of the Russian tanks used by the Libyans. This allows you to close and get behind the tank.

-- At less than 100 metres, a LAW will penetrate the armor. Way below US minimums, but if the blast doesn't get you, you can stop a tank.
These are all correct points, of course ;)

Xenobian

Wow haven’t seen anyone posting/ talking about Tibesti in ages! this was my dream also in the 1990s to visit.
Not many if any people heading up there these days, not that many ever went I think. It was peaceful for sure, just you and the desert...paradise. Without a doubt one of the best places in the Sahara. We skipped much of the Ennedi due to time constraints and having explored it in depths previously. Of course, it is an addictive place, cannot help but want to return :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online