Overland TJ's (Ideas, Pic's, etc for 97-06 Jeep TJ's)

rnArmy

Adventurer
trailer and Jeep in front of house.jpgTrailer with jerry cans.4.jpgWillys and trailer.jpg
Just came upon this thread, Ive just bought a TJ Rubicon, not the longer wheelbase unfortunately so I'm very limited on room but I am looking at building a trailer. Some great advice and Jeeps on here.

Here you go - a primer on building and especially modifying a little Harbor Freight type trailer. There's only so much room in a TJ, but a little trailer greatly expands on what you can take on your adventures. And the little things sometimes makes a huge difference. Camping and roughing it don't have to be the same thing.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...ype-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/

Xbcasey

Adventurer
This is exactly what I built my TJ for, it is much more of a camping/exploring jeep than a crawler and it works really well for us. If you get creative there are tons of ways to maximize your storage space.

d9e566a680dcafcd38c5982e41720041.jpg

adc9ada40887d4f7647b06b32f797618.jpg

4475859ec7723498d2a82f59951b910c.jpg

546283ad871d44e4b46b84923ae494dd.jpg

f8b3817dce07521fb3c39d2f39527da7.jpg

73409a15d35d082702cb4d381612c38d.jpg

8db503b24d70666bedc57490f7e34dbf.jpg

a4cc6e51ae6695bbd76e3e2fe9d3ce2c.jpg

The setup has worked awesome as a camping rig for the wife, the dog and me, but I just bought myself a Willys flat fender and am selling the rubicon so I'm going to have to get a lot more creative on storage space!

Xbcasey

Adventurer
That seat worked out perfect! I made a bracket that bolted to the stock seat mounts in the floor and a backing plate I put in the top of the fender well. I also made a folding table that sat on the drivers side and folded up the same way

603a816fdf1dd27569dd831be52de7e4.jpg

Xbcasey

Adventurer
It was extremely handy to be able to fold everything up to the side and have the rear completely open for hauling stuff without having to remember to leave the back seat at home

Michigan37

Here is a quick storage box I made for the back of my LJ this past weekend. About $40 but I haven't carpeted it yet, so maybe another $10. Not water tight, but inexpensive and gives me an area to mount my cooler and have other things under cover.

image.jpg

I left a small gap between the front of the box and the back seat. This is where I store my half door uppers.

UncleWilson

This is exactly what I built my TJ for, it is much more of a camping/exploring jeep than a crawler and it works really well for us. If you get creative there are tons of ways to maximize your storage space.

adc9ada40887d4f7647b06b32f797618.jpg

The setup has worked awesome as a camping rig for the wife, the dog and me, but I just bought myself a Willys flat fender and am selling the rubicon so I'm going to have to get a lot more creative on storage space!

Where can you get the Side Fuel Can Mounts?

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
My first Jeep was a bone stock 99 Sahara that got totaled in 2007. It was the excuse I needed and picked up an 04 Rubicon that had a 4" lift and rock rails. I installed new front/rear bumper w/ swing spare carrier, winch, skid plates. Storage wasn't too much of an issue for weekend camping trips with my son, but I saw the limitations. In 2010 I got very lucky and found a M101 CDN locally and that opened up a whole new world for extended trips. It was also the perfect platform for a RTT. Started with. Kukenam Tepui and recently upgraded to. Kukenam XL ruggedized.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Murfman

Observer
I'm in the process of adding a little more storage space to my TJ: A good friend of mine had a LJ tub that he was going to use on an aborted project, so I bought it from him. It was used by a parts supplier to Jeep for testing, and was never primed, painted, or bolted to a frame. I figured since I was starting from scratch I would make a few changes along the way. I decided to strwtch the wheelbase so I would end up with the same overhang as a stock TJ. I ordered Crusher corners from Poison Spyder with the wheel well moved back and cut the wheel wells out on the tub further back. With the extra length I decided to run a doubler between the trans and the transfer case. The doubler uses a stock NV 241 planetary gear giving me a 2.72 to one low range. After thinking about the gearing options I decided a Rubicon 241OR with the 4 to one low would be a great option, non I can run 1 to 1, 2.72 to 1 (Doubler in low TC in High), 4 to 1 (Doubler in high TC in low) or 10.88 to 1 (Doubler and TYC in low) My TJ is already running Rubicon 44s with Alloy axles, 4.88 to one gears, and front lockout hubs. While I'm doing the swap I am also going to swap the 4.0 for a 5.9 Magnum and bolt it to the AX-15 trans. I should end up with plenty of power and gearing options. While the axles are out I am going to sleeve the tubes with a kit I bought and upgrade the brakes to Vancos. The pics below are where I'm at so far...

When I stretched the frame I also cut off the side body mounts and relocated them 1 1/4" higher on the frame as I am running a 1 1/4" BL on my current TJ to clear the flat skidplate. This way I don't need spacers, and the mounts are higher up off the ground. I also welded in Ford shock mounts frenched into the rear frame to outboard mount the rear shocks and raise the lower shock mount above the centerline of the frame for laee things to drag and hang up on

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
I'm in the process of adding a little more storage space to my TJ: A good friend of mine had a LJ tub that he was going to use on an aborted project, so I bought it from him. It was used by a parts supplier to Jeep for testing, and was never primed, painted, or bolted to a frame. I figured since I was starting from scratch I would make a few changes along the way. I decided to strwtch the wheelbase so I would end up with the same overhang as a stock TJ. I ordered Crusher corners from Poison Spyder with the wheel well moved back and cut the wheel wells out on the tub further back. With the extra length I decided to run a doubler between the trans and the transfer case. The doubler uses a stock NV 241 planetary gear giving me a 2.72 to one low range. After thinking about the gearing options I decided a Rubicon 241OR with the 4 to one low would be a great option, non I can run 1 to 1, 2.72 to 1 (Doubler in low TC in High), 4 to 1 (Doubler in high TC in low) or 10.88 to 1 (Doubler and TYC in low) My TJ is already running Rubicon 44s with Alloy axles, 4.88 to one gears, and front lockout hubs. While I'm doing the swap I am also going to swap the 4.0 for a 5.9 Magnum and bolt it to the AX-15 trans. I should end up with plenty of power and gearing options. While the axles are out I am going to sleeve the tubes with a kit I bought and upgrade the brakes to Vancos. The pics below are where I'm at so far...

When I stretched the frame I also cut off the side body mounts and relocated them 1 1/4" higher on the frame as I am running a 1 1/4" BL on my current TJ to clear the flat skidplate. This way I don't need spacers, and the mounts are higher up off the ground. I also welded in Ford shock mounts frenched into the rear frame to outboard mount the rear shocks and raise the lower shock mount above the centerline of the frame for laee things to drag and hang up on

I really like what you have done. Storage is an issue in a TJ. I have been dealing with this issue. I used to go off road at off road park for the day. Storage wasn't an issue. Now we head out to fish, camp or whatever. I have to carry more crap. Storage is an issue. When I go in my TJ I take as little as I need. Even then I run out space quick. I am not a fan of putting much weight on the roof. I have built a small roof rack for sleeping bags and chairs. I have a rack that hangs over the spare tire, i do have a trailer but trails in my area are too tight to maneuver a tralier. I wish I had you skills and could just make my Jeep bigger. Unfortunately I don't have skills you do, great job.

Murfman

Observer
I really like what you have done. Storage is an issue in a TJ. I have been dealing with this issue. I used to go off road at off road park for the day. Storage wasn't an issue. Now we head out to fish, camp or whatever. I have to carry more crap. Storage is an issue. When I go in my TJ I take as little as I need. Even then I run out space quick. I am not a fan of putting much weight on the roof. I have built a small roof rack for sleeping bags and chairs. I have a rack that hangs over the spare tire, i do have a trailer but trails in my area are too tight to maneuver a tralier. I wish I had you skills and could just make my Jeep bigger. Unfortunately I don't have skills you do, great job.

Not so sure of my skills, but I fake it quite well...

unkamonkey

Explorer
Good reply. I'm not happy with my skills but others say I'm the best at what I do. I don't let my head get too large. Always something to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78