Overland Utility Trailer Build

loren85022

Explorer
Those fender perches will come in handy. We use a bucket to stand on as we move around to secure RTT.

One PITA we have is that mud from tires sling up and fill the lil pocket behind the door latches. It's a pain to open and keep clean. If you can keep your tires from sticking out, it'll be nice for the cook.

Counter top is always in short supply for us. We use that back slide out table 3 times a day for food, clean fish, hobbies,etc. if you could make the spare tire swing away, I bet you'd get more use out of the back.

I see your water tank is up front. I mounted mine to frame just in front of axle. I use the original gas inlet to fill'er up. Once full, she rides very nice.

That's sure a strange RTT color. But I'm very envious of the side room. Will it go on the kitchen side?

One thing I did that the chef loves is to run a string of LEDs around all six cabinets. They out of sight. One switch and she can see everything in the boxes. Great whiten vyou roll into a campsite late.

We were just at Moab.. Loved the place. I need to come back with a few cohorts so I can venture a bit deeper.

pdsftw

Adventurer
Did your trailer axle come with all the springs/frame mounts etc. or did u buy separate and determine the width to match your frame?

And I'm really jealous at this point. That's a lot more work than I'm gonna be able to tackle by myself on this project!

The axle is a 3500lb axle from an junk yard - we then cut it down the the correct width. The leafs/perches/shocks were all installed after with the weight in mind.

pdsftw

Adventurer
Those fender perches will come in handy. We use a bucket to stand on as we move around to secure RTT.

One PITA we have is that mud from tires sling up and fill the lil pocket behind the door latches. It's a pain to open and keep clean. If you can keep your tires from sticking out, it'll be nice for the cook.

Counter top is always in short supply for us. We use that back slide out table 3 times a day for food, clean fish, hobbies,etc. if you could make the spare tire swing away, I bet you'd get more use out of the back.

I see your water tank is up front. I mounted mine to frame just in front of axle. I use the original gas inlet to fill'er up. Once full, she rides very nice.

That's sure a strange RTT color. But I'm very envious of the side room. Will it go on the kitchen side?

One thing I did that the chef loves is to run a string of LEDs around all six cabinets. They out of sight. One switch and she can see everything in the boxes. Great whiten vyou roll into a campsite late.

We were just at Moab.. Loved the place. I need to come back with a few cohorts so I can venture a bit deeper.

- Maybe try some NeverWet from Rustoleum on those handles? Would likely keep the dirt/mud from adhering to the handles. At $20 for the two can set, it's not cheap, but you wouldnt use much on a few handles.

- Side room will go on the side opposite from the kitchen. Have a 99" awning (and walls/netting) to cover the cooking area like it appears you do.

- Got the LED strips ready to mount just like you described. Should work great.

pdsftw

Adventurer
Here is an update from some work in the past week:

Finished all the sheet metal to cover up all the spaces/gaps/holes. Then started to work on the rear swing out for the tire/jerry cans and jack. It rained a lot recently....and that steel rusts REALLY quickly haha.

AHuPRAd.jpg

Will have two side stays to keep the tire mount stiff. Those stays will also be where we mount the two jerry can mounts - found some ones used on Jeep swingouts at a decent price off of Amazon.com, which you might be able to see laying in the bed:

E46VoCu.jpg

Random car bumper in the bed...haha. Really happy with the bearings and spindle we got - super smooth and seems very strong - chromoly and beefy.

HdkMY7L.jpg

After the swing out, we'll start working on the rack. Going to do the following:

- Make the rack a little more narrow for clearance and the RTT.
- Add some expanded steel and square tubing rails to the front half of the rack for some storage. Plan right now is for the RTT to on the back half of the rack, but it will all depend on weight placement.
- Add mounting brackets for 99" awning on both sides - still undecided on what side I want to use for the kitchen.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Coming out great..

One thought about the kitchen, I'd consider using the passenger side in the event you stop along a road and want to use the kitchen.

Keep up the good work!

dino2000

Observer
Fookin' Cool!

This is the coolest idea! I tried for a couple years to find one built for a mini truck and never did........I gave up and bought an M101a1. Good luck and i'm in to see how it turns out.

pdsftw

Adventurer
I went this route too. Still finishing the build; on the road a lot lately. Nice builds!

Looking good. Seems like there are a lot more utility builds popping up. I guess it's such a nice market, but not sure why someone doesnt retail a product like we are building. I know Overland Trailers has something sort of similar but judging by the looks and comments I get driving mine around, you think there might be enough demand for a builder to add a made-to-order product to their product line.

loren85022

Explorer
If someone made a util-box shell, I predict a lot fewer mil-boxes. They awful practicable. IMHO

Sent from my iToaster

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
If someone made a util-box shell, I predict a lot fewer mil-boxes. They awful practicable. IMHO

Sent from my iToaster

That'd be nice. It's hard to find these beds in decent shape, and if you are cheap like me it's even harder! The real challenge is finding one already made into a trailer (if you don't have skills like the OP) and hoping its not a Complete hack job

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Quick question that I was hoping you could answer for reference. How deep are the storage boxes on this full size box? also, what camp stove is it that you are looking at using? Does the stove fit flat when stored in the Horizontal "kitchen" box?

I found a clean box already converted to a trailer (stock frame and axle) but it is one off a small truck (ranger) so I'm worried the overall storage options are gonna suffer from limited depth of the boxes.

pdsftw

Adventurer
Quick question that I was hoping you could answer for reference. How deep are the storage boxes on this full size box? also, what camp stove is it that you are looking at using? Does the stove fit flat when stored in the Horizontal "kitchen" box?

I found a clean box already converted to a trailer (stock frame and axle) but it is one off a small truck (ranger) so I'm worried the overall storage options are gonna suffer from limited depth of the boxes.

Most utility beds for full size trucks are about 6'x8'. Most bed widths are about 4' leaving about 12" depth on each side. My Partner Steel stove is 12"x18" and fits well.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
A service body dropped onto a M116A2 frame would be perfect.
Stout with dexter 8 bolt hubs and parking brakes.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Most utility beds for full size trucks are about 6'x8'. Most bed widths are about 4' leaving about 12" depth on each side. My Partner Steel stove is 12"x18" and fits well.

Ok. The smaller one had an interior of 40" and box depth of ~11". So if I went this route I'd need to look at another stove, or store it in another location. The size seems nice, especially on the trails and if I'm ever back into a Wrangler size rig, just not sure if it'd end up being TOO small

pdsftw

Adventurer
Ok. The smaller one had an interior of 40" and box depth of ~11". So if I went this route I'd need to look at another stove, or store it in another location. The size seems nice, especially on the trails and if I'm ever back into a Wrangler size rig, just not sure if it'd end up being TOO small

I am sure you could find a stove to fit - or store it vertically. Really you will be cooking on the fold out so the depth is not a deal breaker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger